Where to travel alone but still be very safe?

Thanks! OAT looks like an excellent option for the OP.

I agree- it's pricey, though. One very good example: we traveled around India by bus in some places and if you needed a pit stop (no facilities on bus) the guide knew where the gas stations with clean Western-style facilities were, he'd get off the bus with you, hand a few rupees to the guys working there and wait till you were ready to get back on the bus. I sure don't need that kind of hand-holding in Munich but in India (and I LOVE India and have made multiple trips there) it was a blessing.

They do attract a large number of women traveling solo but I've met some nice people on the trips.

My family has vacationed in Isla Mujeres, Mexico for 3 years now. Vastly different from Cancun, from which you take the ferry to the island. Can walk anywhere and feel safe. We always set up our transfer ahead of time from the airport to the ferry. I would feel perfectly safe going there by myself.

Ask at your hotel where it is safe to walk, shop, etc. Lots of travel books include chapters on safety. Your gut will tell you most danger spots as well.

USA is unfortunately experiencing increased crime (forget about the statistics that suggest otherwise.) Still, stay alert and walk in the daytime and let your gut guide you. Hide your cash/cards/Id - I carry a "decoy" wallet sometimes when I travel. Almost hope it gets lifted so they can enjoy the humor of my play money and fake credit cards.:LOL:

No matter where you travel there are dangers at home and abroad.

I believe that it is very important to always be aware of your surroundings, do not take unneccessary risks, flash your money or credit cards about for all to see, not to dress or act in an ostentatious manner and wear what is perceived to be expensive jewelry. We see this in our travels from time to time and really do wonder what people are thinking when they behave in this manner. Why make yourself a tartget?
We do not find many international cities, countries, etc any more dangerous than some large US cities.

Crime is everywhere. The trick is not to act in such a manner as to invite it.

Last edited:
I can think of alot of east coast US cities that are safe. In fact almost EVERY east coast US city is safe if you stay out of rough areas and move around during daylight hours in a safe way. I found Manhattan (New York city, NY) very safe in daylight. I even recall a police officer hailing a taxi for us at Grand Central Train station. We took the train in from Washington DC (also quite safe, if you see women running alone its a good sign its safe). Uber and Lyft ride services have always felt safe although I do turn on my lcoation tracking and call (or pretend to call) my husband while Im on the ride and make sure the driver knows it "Hi honey. Im in the uber, I sent you the specifics and pictures and I have my location tracking on. I will be to you in X minutes" CHarleston, SC is a beautiful city and also quite safe if you stick to histroic downtown. Just keep a small purse slung on your body and a sweater cardiagn or shirt over it. Keep your hands free and your head up. If you stop to look at your phone back up against a building or better yet do so at a restaurant. If a street looks to deserted or quiet, turn around and go back from where you came.

I found historic Charleston and Savannah, GA to be safe as long as I stayed in a good location within the historic district. There were lots of residents and tourists walking around during the day and at night. The second time I visited Savannah, I stayed in a hotel near the edge of the historic district and felt uneasy at night walking the few blocks to the central area of restaurants and waterfront. I enjoyed visiting the nearby beach towns which are safe but this requires driving.

I don't have lots of experience with East Coast travel but if the OP drives, one of my favorite trips was staying in Boston a few days to explore the museums and historical sites and then driving up the coast of Maine to Acadia National Park. Boston felt safer to me than most other large cities although I stayed in touristy areas only.

Last edited:
Whoa! I have lived in some of these Southern cities and have to tell you that violent crime is a huge problem, especially if you don't know your way around. They might look pretty and historic and all, but there's an underbelly of deep, multi-generational poverty driving this issue. Just google the crime stats for yourself, and check out the crime blotters of the local papers. In fact, I feel a lot safer walking around in most of Manhattan at night. If personal safety is the biggest priority for OP, I would vote a hard "no" on this idea.

P.S. My comments were in reference to solo travel; a tour group with an experienced guide would be a different matter.

My experience was completely different in Savannah. I was with my DH but I told my him that Savannah was definitely a place I'd feel comfortable traveling to alone and I don't say that about many places.

I wouldn't go out after dark alone, but I wouldn't do that anywhere that I wasn't familiar with unless everything was completely lit up.

Savannah is a lovely city and easy to navigate. Don't bypass it out of fear.

I found historic Charleston and Savannah, GA to be safe as long as I stayed in a good location within the historic district. There were lots of residents and tourists walking around during the day and at night. The second time I visited Savannah, I stayed in a hotel near the edge of the historic district and felt uneasy at night walking the few blocks to the central area of restaurants and waterfront. I enjoyed visiting the nearby beach towns which are safe but this requires driving.

To add to my post, we did stay in the historic district in an airbnb so I can't speak to the other parts of Savannah. The location was perfect and easy to navigate by foot. We went the total tourist route on that trip and it was easy and enjoyable.

Agree with the group tours, I did that a lot when I was a single female. They arrange for pickup (and in some cases have someone there to meet you at baggage claim).

All safe and lots of options to choose from.

My experience was completely different in Savannah. I was with my DH but I told my him that Savannah was definitely a place I'd feel comfortable traveling to alone and I don't say that about many places.

I wouldn't go out after dark alone, but I wouldn't do that anywhere that I wasn't familiar with unless everything was completely lit up.

Savannah is a lovely city and easy to navigate. Don't bypass it out of fear.

Well, that's one way to approach it. Of course, in general it is safe for tourists if you take the usual precautions, stick the touristy stuff, don't get lost, don't wander too far, don't look like a target, pay attention to your surroundings, always make sure other people are around, don't go out after dark, etc.

But, my impression was that the OP was looking for an above average level of confidence on safety and I'm here to tell yah, there is plenty of violent crime to be had in them there parts if you end up in the wrong place, wrong time.

Traveling solo can be lonely, but it's not hard to be safe. I've mostly just traveled in western Europe and have never felt unsafe. I lost my car one night and wandered up and down the streets in Regensburg Germany. There were many single women out walking their tiny city dogs with no fear. If you stick to the tourist parts of the big cities, the worst that you'll encounter is pickpockets. I'll second the recommendation to visit our stunningly beautiful neighbor to the north, too.

Traveling solo can be lonely, but it's not hard to be safe. I've mostly just traveled in western Europe and have never felt unsafe. I lost my car one night and wandered up and down the streets in Regensburg Germany. There were many single women out walking their tiny city dogs with no fear. If you stick to the tourist parts of the big cities, the worst that you'll encounter is pickpockets. I'll second the recommendation to visit our stunningly beautiful neighbor to the north, too.

You mean LA? No, of course not. You mean SF! (Sorry about that.:cool:)

I stayed in Toronto for several days ca 2000. At night, Young St. was fine, but my gut told me not to travel down any of the side streets. I asked the concierge and he confirmed that (in a nice way.)

I believe that there is tendency for some people to think that their home city or country is much safer than many others.

Not certain why this is. Perhaps being familiar with your home area. We have traveled to many different countries. About the only time we felt unsafe was when we were following in the daytime after exiting a jewelry store in Rio where we were buying currency. But we were aware of our surroundings, suspected it, and walked back to our hotel. We were back out in 10 minutes.

Just came back from two plus weeks in Zihautanejo. Our third trip. Every night we went into town to eat and walk around. Always after dark. Never, not once felt unsafe anywhere in the downtown area. Yet we have friends who cannot understand why we might zip down year after year for a few weeks because they believe that it is unsafe.

We have plenty of gang land shootings and robberies,etc where we live.

You will be unsafe anywhere if you are not always aware of your surroundings and take basic steps to remove yourself from the 'easy, careless' target' list.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom