Where to travel alone but still be very safe?

Famagusta

Dryer sheet wannabe
Is there any place on earth where you can fly alone and be very safe, if so where? So there shouldn't be robbers waiting for you as soon as you step out of the gate or other scammers waiting in taxis you can't see if they are validated or not. I want to be able to get from the airport by taxi to a safe hotel that doesn't mean people want to break in to the room either. Now I'm certainly painting a horror scenario:LOL: but on the other hand, we live in a rather uncertain world and I don't want to risk ending up somewhere where I might lose everything. Any suggestions, thanks in advance

Have you looked into tour groups such as Road Scholar?

(It may be easier to eliminate some areas as high risk rather than guaranteed safe.)

Gosh, I travel all the time by myself and have never really felt unsafe. Anything can happen anywhere, including in your own home town. My interests are in Europe, mostly. I've never felt unsafe in Europe. I use common sense and research about where to go.

Find some nice resort, expect to pay for it, and go there. There are plenty of places in gorgeous locations with multiple restaurants on site, with activities depending on the geography.

That said, I can't imagine ever having gone anywhere you've described. When I travel, I go to diverse enough places, but I do always like a nicer hotel. I have never stayed in a place where the room door was accessible from the road or a walk up. I usually get a rental or plan out the transit in advance.

I have travelled solo as a woman for decades for business and a few pleasure trips, and never felt anything like the risk you describe.

I have always felt very safe in Scotland and they speak English (sort of). The safest place I have ever been is New Zealand but it is hard to get there.

Have you looked into tour groups such as Road Scholar?

(It may be easier to eliminate some areas as high risk rather than guaranteed safe.)

After my divorce I decided to travel more as a way of getting it behind me. As a single male I found that finding other male buddies to travel with me was next to impossible. (Women are far better at this than we guys, IMO.). And traveling with a female was an emotional non starter for me. So, I did group tours which offered me both companionship every day while I was still a single traveler. I soon found it advantageous to pay for a single room, even if it wasn’t much bigger than a walk in closet.

Honestly, safety never entered my mind. I’ve wandered all over many cities in Europe in the daylight and at night and never felt in danger. I did experience a few pickpockets and scammers who tried to trick me into giving money for fake charities to help starving babies in Lower Slobovia, etc.

Quite a few years ago we traveled to Paris and even though there were two of us, we were followed around the airport and outside by a guy. I even did obvious things to "lose" him but he kept following and stopping. Finally went in to a police station and the guy left. Probably was a pickpocket or something.

We can probably be more helpful to the OP if she wants to share the areas/regions she'd like to visit, and her approximate age.

Another idea, viking river cruises, or small ship nicer cruises. Yes, you'll pay more, but if super-safe is a requirement keeping one from travelling at all, then budget flexibility is going to be needed.

While I think some locations are indeed safer than others, safe travel is more a matter of practices and habits. One needs to “travel smart” and this is what keeps people safe when away from home.

I agree with Route246 and would add Switzerland. Or, as others have said, find a nice resort and don't leave. We had a great time in Montego Bay. Or, go on a group trip, like was mentioned. Personally, I was on a 13 day Gate1 trip to Peru and never had a worry.

I have traveled a lot by myself. In experience, if you look confident and look like you know where you are going (even if you don't :)), you are less likely to be bothered by folks looking to take advantage of a traveler.

I always maintain an awareness of who is around and behind me, especially if a stranger tries to engage me in conversation. They look for folks who might seem unaware and/or are easily distracted. For example, if I enter a train car, I will scan everyone in the car, and passengers coming on, to determine who is there, and to let others know who are looking at me that I am aware that they are there.

When traveling somewhere for the first time, I do a lot of research - e.g. what you have to go through getting from the plane gate thru (if international) customs to and checked luggage and then ground transportation. Where are the safe taxis (or sometimes spend extra for a private taxi). The location of the hotel, reviews (which I do take with a grain of salt, the more detailed ones are the better) and what is around it in the neighborhood. What the popular local scams are (you can find a lot of visual examples on places like YouTube). How to dress so that it is not obvious that you are a tourist with money. I lean enough of the local language to say "hello" and "no thank you". And so forth.

I will not eat in a restaurant that does not have posted prices, and I try to sit near the front. And, given the situations that have occurred in the news, I have decided to drink only water, and *never* alcoholic drinks when traveling. On those rare occasions when I feel like imbibing, I will buy something in a store and sip it in my hotel room.

Going back to strangers starting conversations, I stay wary and do not give out information about myself beyond general stuff. I also take an attitude of "do not trust someone offering you are bargain" - whether it be a cheaper taxi ride, restaurant, non-official transportation, etc. And as soon as the conversations starts going where I do not want it to go, I politely break it off.

Finally, as a guy, I watch out for unknown attractive females approaching me. I assume they are trying to distract me for some purpose (like a pickpocket), or lead me somewhere were something even more nefarious could happen.

I never worried when I was married about safety. Now being alone I use EF Tour company.

I'm 71, female, and do a mix of tours and independent travel. Even on the tours when we have free time I'll go wander in cities by myself- in addition to the usual major European capitals, I've wandered alone in cities in Bosnia, Bolivia, Peru, the Galapagos, Ecuador, Bulgaria and Romania. I don't wear fancy jewelry and keep a small purse close to me or under my shirt- never dangling loosely. I've felt uncomfortable only in India because the men tend to stare, but I still didn't feel they might be violent. In other places I've just been aware of my surroundings and turned around if the area looked abandoned or seedy.

Ironically, it was my late husband who was the pickpocket magnet. He was older, tall and moved slowly. They even got $US 50 out of his front pocket in the Barcelona subway without him noticing.

This is going to vary depending on the destination, I think. Some places are clearly safer than others. As athena 53 mentioned, it is always good to take extra precautions. I spent a few days in Rome alone while waiting for a friend to join me for our cruise. I took the usual pick-pocket precautions ie don't be the flashy, rich-appearing tourist, subdued clothing, no jewelry, keep your wallet/phone under your shirt etc. Being female and alone, I made sure to stick to streets filled with tourists when walking to a restaurant in the evenings etc. I never felt unsafe but was careful to always be aware of my surroundings. There are ways to be smart about it. If I was really uncomfortable with the thought of traveling alone, I would go with a group tour.

Is there any place on earth where you can fly alone and be very safe, if so where? So there shouldn't be robbers waiting for you as soon as you step out of the gate or other scammers waiting in taxis you can't see if they are validated or not. I want to be able to get from the airport by taxi to a safe hotel that doesn't mean people want to break in to the room either. Now I'm certainly painting a horror scenario:LOL: but on the other hand, we live in a rather uncertain world and I don't want to risk ending up somewhere where I might lose everything. Any suggestions, thanks in advance

Come to Australia. Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Adelaide, Perth or our capital city CANBERRA. Sydney is a bit dodgy though. Australia is a very safe country to visit and we all speak English.

Thank you everybody for your comments, I appreciate it and it´s also interesting to read about all of your own experiences and suggestions. Australia and New Zeeland is great suggestions but sadly they are a too far away from me since I hate to fly for a longer time. (I´m in EU) I notice that it seems to be a pattern that Rome, Barcelona and Paris are often mention as places where pickpockets and other crimes do happen to tourists more frequently, not only on this page, but I read it on many other sites too. They do a lot of sketchy things in France I must say, also in Spain, at least what I can remember from my own experience. I do dress down a lot in my regular life too, I don´t like to look "flashy", I rather look poor and invisible and I never wear revealing clothes, but the thing is that I do look very young regardless and approachable which I know for a fact since I always been that person who get approach by strangers consistently which I find stressing. So I guess I have a friendly face too. Japan and such is interesting, I haven´t been there since it is also a long flight but I thought of it many times. I do have a feeling that Japan, at least Tokyo might not be THAT safe in reality when it comes to lonely traveling women, but maybe I´m wrong, I seen many videos on Youtube where different women get "stalked" by Japanese men. I been to Scotland a couple of times as someone was suggesting, I would say it depends, daytime is safe but evening and nighttime they do drink often and a lot and there are lots of homeless people in at least Edinburgh that can be a bit too much sometimes. Switzerland is a good suggestion, maybe I go with that, thank you. Also the suggestion with chosen a resort, but those can be a hit or miss. Guess I need to do my research a lot before even if I do that but that might be the safest choice.

How is it in the US, what would you consider a safe airport with safe cabs to take to a hotel from there, especially on the east side? Sorry if my english is bad

I would suggest Norway. Also try EF Go Ahead Tours for singles, and search on singles travel.

Is there any place on earth where you can fly alone and be very safe, if so where? So there shouldn't be robbers waiting for you as soon as you step out of the gate or other scammers waiting in taxis you can't see if they are validated or not. I want to be able to get from the airport by taxi to a safe hotel that doesn't mean people want to break in to the room either.

You could make arrangements with a car service to pick you up at the airport and bring you directly to your hotel if you want to bypass all the "robbers waiting for you as soon as you step out of the gate or other scammers waiting in taxis".

No place is 100% safe, including where you live.

I do have a feeling that Japan, at least Tokyo might not be THAT safe in reality when it comes to lonely traveling women, but maybe I´m wrong, I seen many videos on Youtube where different women get "stalked" by Japanese men. I been to Scotland a couple of times as someone was suggesting, I would say it depends, daytime is safe but evening and nighttime they do drink often and a lot and there are lots of homeless people in at least Edinburgh that can be a bit too much sometimes. Switzerland is a good suggestion, maybe I go with that, thank you. Also the suggestion with chosen a resort, but those can be a hit or miss. Guess I need to do my research a lot before even if I do that but that might be the safest choice.

A) stop looking on youtube, it is feeding you what you're already seeing, which is basically the bad stuff, and not reality.
B) yes of course do your research. Any place worth going will have a decent website, google reviews, and photos, probably videos
C) if you are over 50 and female, no matter how youthful, you are invisible. learn to ignore strangers, keep moving if approached - you can practice that in your home town.

No place is 100% safe, including where you live.

This. As far as US airports, I've been through WAY more than the average tourist because I traveled on business and still travel for pleasure. The only real perils there, as far as I know, are the people who offer "limo rides" but aren't licensed, may not have insurance and may overcharge you. Stick to the established businesses and Uber and that won't happen. I did, by the way, violate this rule when I was trying to get a taxi from Belgrade to Novi Sad, Serbia, and a young man approached me in the taxi line (probably because I didn't look like the type who would rob him at gunpoint). He quoted me a rate that was a bit higher than market but I accepted. On the hour-long drive we had a delightful conversation about the differences in words in various languages. I gave him a tip on top of that. It was worth it.:D

I haven't traveled internationally (Mainly Europe and Asia Pacific) since I retired over a decade ago but I never really felt safe anywhere. Except "maybe" Singapore. The US is no better and maybe worse in many/most big cities. I still travel a lot in the US and I'm armed no matter where I go.

Last edited:
If you like safe, remote places, I have been to Norman Wells, in Canada. It's quite far north and scenery you won't see anywhere else. Go in the winter to avoid the large mosquitoes.

I haven't traveled internationally (Mainly Europe and Asia Pacific) since I retired over a decade ago but I never really felt safe anywhere. Except "maybe" Singapore. The US is no better and maybe worse in many/most big cities. I still travel a lot in the US and I'm armed no matter where I go.

Small town USA is much much better. I feel like I could walk around here at 2am with $100 taped to my jeans and be totally fine.

Back
Top Bottom