College Costs, why?

<rant>This problem has been growing for a very long time.
Over three decades ago, I was a student at Mankato State University. One year, there was ZERO money spent on the library (which was sorely needed).
That same year, the school spent $1 Million on a clock tower, built in an area no one ever saw it while on campus as it was outside the circle of academic building.
They did this, apparently, because an alumni had offered $1 Million IF the school would match the funds to build the clock tower.</rant>

To the OP, I suspect it would not be posssible, politically, to put such restrictions on public schools, much less private universities. Politically, it is much easier to forgive student loans (though still not easy).

Contrast, when I was in school in the early 70s, some of the buildings were 75-100+ years old.

Those buildings would be 125-150 years old now, so maybe it was time for new buildings? No AC, bad electrical and plumbing, windows falling apart; at some point it’s cheaper to knock down and start over.

I get that the cost of college has outpaced inflation, and there’s multiple causes. But expecting today’s students to be happy with things that were old 50 years ago might not be realistic.

Contrast, when I was in school in the early 70s, some of the buildings were 75-100+ years old.

And that was considered a good thing! I remember that one dorm at my university was prized for its architecture and the unique features of its rooms. Nearly everyone wanted a Single room in that dorm. I can understand that at some point they become hard to bring up to current standards- electrical wiring, more outlets, Wi-Fi, A/C- but it seems they're going overboard. Dad went to the same university (Cincinnati) and he and Mom lived in the married students' quarters- converted quonset huts left for guys who attended on the GI bill. Many attended over the summer due to the Co-op program and there was no A/C. Now schools seem to be trying to outdo each other with frills.

Those buildings would be 125-150 years old now, so maybe it was time for new buildings? No AC, bad electrical and plumbing, windows falling apart; at some point it’s cheaper to knock down and start over.

I get that the cost of college has outpaced inflation, and there’s multiple causes. But expecting today’s students to be happy with things that were old 50 years ago might not be realistic.

I was just pointing out the contrast. My alma mater has built many new buildings over the years to have all the best bright and shiny things today, but funny, the school had a much better academic reputation back then vs today.

... I get that the cost of college has outpaced inflation, and there’s multiple causes. But expecting today’s students to be happy with things that were old 50 years ago might not be realistic.
I think they would be quite happy if tuition were low enough that they didn't have to mortgage their futures. Maybe 25% lower tuition? That might bring it down towards a defendable inflation rate.

Universities made facilities more appealing, so that prospective students would want to enroll.

Not just talking more modern, nicer dorms.

Talking about student center with amenities like climbing walls and probably Starbucks or similar cafe/restaurant/hangout place of the type you'd see in gentrified neighborhoods right in a convenient location on campus.

No more of the starving students having some bean burritos as a treat from the depressing campus cafeteria food.

It seems to have swung the other way with an "arms race" of beautiful facilities.

When I visited M.I.T. in 1980, the place was a dump. I ended up going to state school (Illinois) which had a few dumpy buildings too, but at least a few were built in the 60s. I didn't skip MIT because of the buildings, it was just too expensive and far away for me. I have no regrets.

Today my Alma Mater Illinois engineering campus is practically paved in gold. I was stunned when I visited. And they even have A/C now!

It seems to have swung the other way with an "arms race" of beautiful facilities.

When I visited M.I.T. in 1980, the place was a dump. I ended up going to state school (Illinois) which had a few dumpy buildings too, but at least a few were built in the 60s. I didn't skip MIT because of the buildings, it was just too expensive and far away for me. I have no regrets.

Today my Alma Mater Illinois engineering campus is practically paved in gold. I was stunned when I visited. And they even have A/C now!

Right, I visited MIT in the early 70s and observed the same. I skipped it because too many under grad courses taught by assistants. Likewise, Cornell, although the campus grounds and building exteriors were beautiful.

Schools undoubtedly soak up all the available money like a sponge but for students, there is a huge amount of free money up for grabs. Especially if you have financial need.

To convince my college bound son to apply for scholarships I simply asked him if we would be willing to write a 500 word essay if I were to pay him $5,000. He of course said yes. Then I said, how about if someone else gives you $5k. He was puzzled why anyone would do that and then I showed him a database of scholarships.

Since we have no financial need, there weren’t as many options but there were still enough. He applied to several and was rejected from several but he did win one worth $10k/year for four years. That covers most of his tuition at UCSB. Now he’s inspired to apply for a few more so hopefully he’ll get a bit more next year. I’m amazed by how many are available.

I was in college around 20 years later.

The dorms where I resided were built in 1922 & not renovated until 2022.

One wall-mounted sink in each room, toilets & gang showers (just like prison!) down the hall.

I was in college around 20 years later.

The dorms where I resided were built in 1922 & not renovated until 2022.

One wall-mounted sink in each room, toilets & gang showers (just like prison!) down the hall.

You had a sink in your room?! That’s luxury. We just had the gang bathrooms, with missing doors on the toilet stalls.

My son’s dorm has three people crammed into a double. No sink. No AC. One group bathroom down the hall. But it is a short walk to the beach.

You had a sink in your room?! That’s luxury. We just had the gang bathrooms, with missing doors on the toilet stalls.

My son’s dorm has three people crammed into a double. No sink. No AC. One group bathroom down the hall. But it is a short walk to the beach.
You had a room:confused:

DH took my son up to Trinity U. in CT for a tour. DS was attending NY Military Academy at the time and was in an older dorm with a sink in the room but nothing fancy. They toured the dorm with a young lady and her mother. DS thought the dorm room was really nice. The young lady, apparently comparing it to her room at home, found it disappointing.

Funny how different their perspectives were.

Here's an example of what was probably a waste of $$ at U. of Cincinnati, my alma mater. Sander Hall was a co-ed dorm with women on the bottom 13 floors and men on the top 13. (Cue the inevitable jokes- it was the 70s, after all.) Less than 20 years later it was a white elephant- fire safety concerns and then, after they tried to use it for offices, really not enough elevators at peak times. So they imploded it. It was rather spectacular. Wonder if they paid off the cost of the building when they destroyed it.

https://magazine.uc.edu/editors_picks/recent_features/sander25.html

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom