Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I Never Vote

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Silver

Full time employment: Posting here.
I just applied to be able to vote by mail in all elections through 2016. The wait to vote at the polling locations was very lengthy (over 2.5 hours) when we last voted, and we don't want to go through that again.

Just curious how many prefer to vote by absentee ballot (mail) or in person.

I vote in person. Small town so I have never had to wait more than 10 minutes. Non-presidential elections i've never waited more than a minute or 2. If I had to wait more than 30 minutes i'd do it by mail.

I normally vote in person during the early voting period. I usually pick a time to vote when I'll already be downtown near our local government building and not make a special trip. Typically no wait and a 5 minute process.

I regard voting as a tremendous privilege, and as dumb as it may sound to some, I *want* to go in person. I get a kick out of walking in there on Election Day along with a large number of neighbors, some of who I recognize; getting my name crossed off the roll; walking into that voting booth; and voting in person. I have never had to wait very long at all. There was quite a line at the last Presidential election, IIRC, but it moved along briskly.

To me, it feels like walking across that stage to get a diploma. Even at age 66, it's so, so cool! What a great celebration of freedom and of being an American citizen. I'm sure citizens of other free countries feel the same.

Last edited:
This is the first time I have voted by absentee ballot. Just applied for it yesterday. It would be a 3-day drive to get there to vote in person...

I got some voting reminders (register for absentee ballots, robocalls). Didn't like the "spam" so now I'm thinking about voting for the opposite party... Nothing like a little gridlock :LOL:

I'm a lemming of W2R. I vote every election, in person. Here in San Diego most polling places are in someone's garage. (No issue with needing HVAC at election time.) Some area's it's at the school auditorium... but in my 'hood it's all garage based polling places.

By voting in person I got to see the fiasco of the new voting machines that didn't work 8 years ago. My polling place is on the next block over - I can see it from my backyard... but it's a bit longer to walk... so I usually bring my dog... get a two-fer - dog walk and I vote.

Growing up we had the polls in our garage for about 15 years. My mother worked for the registrar of voters - but other neighborhood folks acted as polling officers so she could be troubleshooting the elections.

In person, usually, and early if I'll be out of town on election day. Like others have said--I enjoy the "community ritual" of it, and want to participate in/encourage the continuance of this tangible, physical event even as the rest or our lives seems to slip into the virtual world. I want to see my neighbors--there's not enough of that these days.

Always in person, and always the first day of early voting. Never have to wait more than a few minutes. It is a privilege I do not take for granted.

The days of Mr. Smith goes to Washington is over so I don't vote anymore.

Early voting periods usually go 10-14 days 7AM to 7PM. I've NEVER had a problem voting in person.

Mike

I go in person. I'm usually one of the first few voters at our small precinct polling place - the township road commissioner's office. I too enjoy the 'ritual' of it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Another citizen here that likes to vote and, when possible, does so on voting day in person.

Even though there is almost never a line at my current polling place, I vote by mail more often than not. Just a habit I picked up during a military career when it was impossible to get to my polls.

When we first moved here, I usually went in person, but the poll workers were so incompetent and officious that I reverted to my old practice of getting an absentee ballot.

In Seattle vote-by-mail is the only option, excepting a few "boutique" polling places for the visually impaired.

Before we went to absentee only, I spent one summer training the people who man the polling stations, back when they were just starting to roll out the electronic voting machines.

Most of the poll workers were elderly and viewed the annual ritual as a chance to connect with their neighbors, although we had a small group of volunteers who were just plain rabid about the democratic process and wanted to make sure it was done right.

It was an interesting process, running the polls.

I like absentee though. I'm not sure how many of my peers vote, so I hassle them over social media. :)

I vote in person on Election Day at the voting location a short walk from where I live. It is a Middle School but where in the school we vote has varied over the years and depending on the type of election (school budget, primary, special election).

When I was working full-time or, for a few years, working on Tuesdays in my part-time years, I had to vote after I got home from work. Here in NY the polls are open until 9 PM so I always had time. Some years, though, the polls were pretty busy after 7 PM. But I never had to wait more than 10 or 15 minutes.

Since I ERed, I can now stroll over there at 10 AM when it is not busy. I am in and out in 5 minutes most of the time. NY changed its voting to optical scan so many people can work on their votes at the same time at the many "privacy stations" scattered around the large voting area. I did have to wait for a few minutes one year because all of them were occupied and an open one repeatedly was on the other side of the large room so someone else beat me to it LOL!

In Seattle vote-by-mail is the only option, excepting a few "boutique" polling places for the visually impaired.

Before we went to absentee only, I spent one summer training the people who man the polling stations, back when they were just starting to roll out the electronic voting machines.

Most of the poll workers were elderly and viewed the annual ritual as a chance to connect with their neighbors, although we had a small group of volunteers who were just plain rabid about the democratic process and wanted to make sure it was done right.

It was an interesting process, running the polls.

I like absentee though. I'm not sure how many of my peers vote, so I hassle them over social media. :)

In 2001, I was a volunteer poll watcher at the closing hour. All I had to do was to make sure nobody was denied entrance as we closed the doors at 9 PM. Then, they opened up the back of the machines (these were the ancient lever machines, NY had not adopted its optical scan system) and copied down numbers for each lever according to its row and column position. I looked to see the poll inspectors were writing down the numbers correctly (I wrote some down myself for my own curiosity) although I could not monitor every machine throughout the room. I did have some help from other poll watchers. It was a fascinating experience overall.

Have voted absentee ballot in every election for the past 30+ years. My transient military career meant I was rarely a resident of the state or country in which I resided at the time. Now that I'm retired, I still vote by mail-in ballot, guess it's a matter of habit and convenience now. Just got an email from the county today informing me that my ballot will be mailed to me on Monday for the November elections.

We've always gone in person. If there was a line, it was short, 10 minutes or less. Polling places everywhere I've lived were in schools, which are closed on election days.

Here in PA we have to vote in person unless not physically able to come to the polls. I hate it--it's very hard to research the local candidates. In California, our garage was a polling place from the time I was 6 years old.

Started voting absentee in California during my residency, and never stopped. It was nice sitting at the kitchen table with DH deciding how to vote on all the ballot measures and candidates.

CA is excellent at providing information about the elections. In PA we don't get a sample ballot so we have to rely on the newspaper, which I don 't buy. Walking into the polling place without being able to know exactly who/what is on the ballot is undemocratic.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'll be voting absentee. I am not pleased with the way things are, and I don't want the other candidates, so no-vote on those lines. I hope that is accepted.

Last big election I voted early (early voting is an option at a limited number of places here) as we were going to be out of town. The wait in line was 2 hours and when I finally got to the voting area, the judge decided my signature did not look like the 20 year old signature in the record book. Grrrr. Bring on online voting.

Regular voting otoh is a breeze.

Back
Top Bottom