Were the Nuclear Protesters Right?

Note that the radioactive materials M. Curie worked with are all naturally occurring substances with very long half-lives. None of the materials she died from, or that contaminated her texts and materials were artificial radioactives, reactor waste, or fission products.

Maybe you can help out, my Googling and my memory are failing me...

I recall reading/hearing somewhere about the components of nuclear waste, and that some large percent decays in a short time (days/weeks/months?), and another large % decays in months/years, a bit more in years/decades, and only a small % lasts hundreds/thousands of years.

Do you have any source for this kind of data?

Why the heck would this thread get locked:confused:

-ERD50

Maybe you can help out, my Googling and my memory are failing me...

I recall reading/hearing somewhere about the components of nuclear waste, and that some large percent decays in a short time (days/weeks/months?), and another large % decays in months/years, a bit more in years/decades, and only a small % lasts hundreds/thousands of years.

Do you have any source for this kind of data?

The dropoff is an exponential decay. All the fission products keep decaying until they are stable. After a reactor is shut down, these are what make all the heat that has to be dealt with.

"Retran" is a software model that groups the fission products into 10 groups, assumes full power til shutdown, and then models exponential decay. "Todreas" is another model that needs a detailed operating history and models the decay heat in detail.

There are a large number of possible fission products that vary with the exact fuel mixture being used. (This can be used as a 'fingerprint' to identify the source of materials, BTW.)

This table shows U-235 reactor fission products and half-lives ranked by yield:
Fission product yield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Wikipedia tables are readable interpretations of the huge chain fission yield tables the IAEA published. These are complete, but really hard to slog through.

I hope this comment doesn't cause the thread to be locked. I've been delaying posting my reply because I was busy with work. I'll try not to continue this discussion, but I'd like to post it before it's no longer possible to reply to M Paquette's comments.

One radioactive decay, releasing one gamma ray, which intersects and interacts with the P52 gene in one reproducing cell can cause cancer. Whether that one decay comes from an atom from a nuclear power plant, or from that banana you had with lunch is, of course, also a matter of chance.

Maybe someone should inform the Japanese that what's happening there isn't bad when you compare it to bananas.

zRC5Hl.jpg

If you had absorbed significant Iodine-131 from a reactor accident or atomic testing, there might be an increased chance of thyroid cancer. A dose of 10 nanograms adds roughly a chance of one in one million to the baseline incidence rate of roughly one in ten thousand over a lifetime. Compare and contrast with a typical medical dosage to treat hyperthyroidism of roughly 1000 nanograms of I-131.

Thanks for the numbers, I appreciate.

But Iodine-131 has a very short half life (8 days) and is just one part of the puzzle. Half life is much longer for Uranium, Cesium, Plutonium, etc. A number of fuel rods have been damaged, which increases risk of such things being released, and the huge quantities of spent fuel on the site could also lead to spreading quite a bit of nasty stuff if things should turn for the worst. I just read that minute amounts of radioactive strontium have been detected in soil and plants in Fukushima Prefecture beyond the 30-kilometer zone. It is the first time that radioactive strontium has been detected since the Fukushima plant began leaking radioactive substances.
UPDATE: some amount of nuclear fission seems to be going on in open air!

Also, how reliable is the information we have on the risks of these substances?

The nuclear establishment doesn't exactly encourage researchers who challenge it with unwelcome findings.
An excerpt from “The Nuclear industry: A History of Misleading Claims”, by Dr Sue Wareham OAM:

Dr Alice Stewart’s discovery that children who had been exposed in the uterus to X-rays had double the risk of developing leukemia and other cancers, was of great significance and is now undisputed in medical practice. And yet her findings were aggressively rejected by the nuclear lobby,14 both within and outside government, and by the ICRP.

Subsequently, Stewart worked with Professor Thomas Mancuso, Professor of Occupational Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh in the US, on the health of workers at the Hanford plutonium production facility. When their results showed cancer incidence roughly ten times that predicted by A-bomb survivor studies, Mancuso’s research funding ceased, and the US Government attempted to destroy data that he had collected.15

Other scientists who suffered the consequences of raising concerns about the effects of radiation exposure include John Gofman, who died in August 2007, and his colleague Arthur R Tamplin. Gofman was the chief medical researcher for the Atomic Energy Commission in the US, which both regulated and promoted the US nuclear industry. After he and Tamplin published data in 1969 showing that the risks from low dose radiation were much greater than that stated by the government (despite strong attempts by others at censorship), the two lost virtually all of their research funding.16

Dhirendra Sharma was a leading figure in science policy research at India’s Jawaharlal Nehru University, and was an outspoken critic of the Indian nuclear power program and its links to nuclear weapons. He alleged secrecy, lack of accountability, mismanagement and corruption. His book India’s Nuclear Estate was published in mid 1983. In December 1983 he was suddenly transferred out of the Centre for Studies of Science Policy, with no satisfactory official explanation being given, and thus his ability to further engage officially in science policy studies was diminished.17

In Belarus in 1999, more than a decade after the 1986 Chernobyl accident, Professor Yuri Bandashevsky, head of the Gomel State Medical Centre in one of the most contaminated regions, also paid a heavy personal price for his work. He was arrested and sentenced to 8 years imprisonment, allegedly for his work on the health effects of the accident and his criticism of lack of government resources for medical investigation of the disaster.

A final obstacle in the way of research on the health effects of radiation exposure relates to funding. Rudi Nussbaum, Professor Emeritus of Physics and Environmental Sciences at Portland State University in the US, reports that “Practically all such research has relied on funding by agencies that were created to promote, facilitate and regulate military and civilian uses of ionising radiation, to allay concerns about health effects from occupational and public
exposure, and to fend off litigation for workers’ compensation claims”.18 This situation indicates a clear conflict of interest for those bodies that purport to, on the one hand, protect public health, and, on the other hand, promote an industry that undermines public health.

The figures include Chernobyl, a worst case of an absurdly bad reactor design, a stack of carbon blocks with fuel pellets tucked into holes in the blocks. The damaged reactor actually blew apart. There was no containment whatsoever, and no mechanism to limit dispersion.

Chernobyl may have been the worst case as far as design is concerned, and also the worst case so far. But that doesn't mean future accidents can't be much worse.

A lack of precedents didn’t keep the Titanic and the Hindenburg disasters from happening.

Chernobyl was bad and it lasted ten days. The Fukushima disaster is in its second month now, is not under control, and officials have warned it will be several months before the situation at the nuclear facility is brought fully under control.
What if you run out of "heroes"? What if radiation becomes so strong that you can't send in men or even dump water from helicopters anymore? What if all reactors on the site and the spent fuel that still needs cooling, aren't being cooled anymore and nobody can approach the site anymore? I have no idea, but one "Dr. Tom Burnett" (I don't know if he has any qualifications in this matter) writes: " If reactor 3 is in meltdown, the concrete under the containment looks like lava. But Fukushima is not far off the water table. When that molten mass of self-sustaining nuclear material gets to the water table it won’t simply cool down. It will explode – not a nuclear explosion, but probably enough to involve the rest of the reactors and fuel rods at the facility." And there's much more nuclear fuel in Fukushima than there was in Chernobyl… From the same article: " Making matters worse is the MOX in reactor 3. MOX is the street name for ‘mixed oxide fuel‘ which uses ~9% plutonium along with a uranium compound to fuel reactors."

It did not render a whole country uninhabitable.

Indeed. Chernobyl was a bad case, but no worst case.

Official data on the scope and health effects of the Chernobyl disaster seem to have been understated though.

News from Japan: “Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said Friday that the new bans would apply to areas beyond the current 30 kilometer exclusion zone around the stricken Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant. Rice production within the 30-km zone is already effectively banned.” “Rice will also be inspected at the time of harvest. If cesium figures exceed safety standards, farmers will be instructed not to ship their rice. The half-life of cesium is 30 years, so the problem is likely to persist.
The agriculture ministry will look at whether replacing soil in banned farmland is a feasible option or whether alternative crops that absorb fewer radioactive substances than rice might be allowed.”

And a prof. Christopher Busby has somewhat worrying estimates of the potential number of victims. I don't know how well supported his views are, but his Wikipedia page looks legit.

Note that the higher the radioactivity a given amount of material exhibits, the faster it goes away.

In Fukushima there are also dangerous products that don't go away fast. Plutonium has a very long half life. Plutonium gives off alpha radiation, which has a relative biological effectiveness about 20 times larger than that of the most radioactive beta and gamma radiation.
Alpha radiation can be blocked easily, unless you ingest the particles. And humans have to eat and drink. “Consuming food containing radionuclides is particularly dangerous. If an individual ingests or inhales a radioactive particle, it continues to irradiate the body as long as it remains radioactive and stays in the body.” (Alan H. Lockwood, MD, a member of the Board of Physicians for Social Responsibility)

(Note: The calculations took me an hour or so, between reference books and running them a couple of ways. I'd appreciate it if any responses also used hard data, rather than the media copout of 'possibly', 'could', 'perhaps as much as', etc. Innumeracy when doing risk assessment is just bad, M'kay?

You seem to have a scientific education. Scientists assure us that nuclear plants are theoretically safe.
My education is in Law (though I work in an entirely different domain). I tend to worry more about things going wrong, because in real life, they do.

On the subject of nuclear energy, I share the feelings of Hirose Takashi, who told this story in an interview:

"Waste plutonium, he said, was buried in pits dug deep into the ground, and then carefully monitored to make sure there was no leakage.
I asked him, “But didn’t you tell us just now that plutonium has a half-life of 24,000 years? Who is going to monitor it for that long?” “The US Government, of course.” “In all of human history, has there ever been a government that lasted for 24,000 years?” He did not answer, but only looked at me with contempt. Evidently he thought I was lacking in patriotism.

This was the moment I realized that a very intelligent, highly trained nuclear engineer can be a fool.

My field, political science, has produced probably only one scientific law: Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. But few political scientists have noticed that the closest thing we have to absolute power is nuclear power. Nuclear power corrupts the thinking of its believers in a peculiar way. It seems to tempt them to imagine that they have been raised to a higher level, where common sense judgments don’t apply. Common sense judgments like, it’s very dumb to produce a substance that will continue to radiate death, and will therefore require “monitoring”, for tens of thousands of years."

The US also has a serious problem with spent fuel pools, by the way. There too, earthquakes or other issues can lead to big problems. The industry tends not to mention these things when informing the public about nuclear safety.

Most of the really nasty stuff around Chernobyl is gone now, decayed into stable isotopes.

And spread over many countries, blown around by the wind and spread by contaminated animals. How many people can prove what their cancer has been caused by?

The areas designated as 'contaminated' (as opposed to the worst areas designated 'strict radiation control') originally had radiation levels averaging 9 milliSieverts/year above the background of 50 milliSieverts/year. These areas now have levels of 0.1 to 1 milliSievert/year above background.

Radiation going down is good news. Thanks.

Ok. I'm going to try stop writing in this thread. :)

I would like to leave you with this thought of Ran Prieur:

"Why do geeks love nuclear power? More precisely, using Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences, why do people with high logical-mathematical intelligence like nuclear power so much more than people with high intelligence in other areas? Framed this way, it's an easy question. In the world of logic and numbers and predictable machines, nuclear power is totally safe. Chernobyl doesn't count because, for political reasons, the plant was not designed, regulated, or run correctly. Fukushima doesn't count because, for economic reasons, the plant was not built to withstand an 8.9 earthquake and tsunami.
Nuclear power would be perfect if only you stinky primates would obey our beautiful science!"

And spread over many countries, blown around by the wind and spread by contaminated animals. How many people can prove what their cancer has been caused by?
At an individual level, you can't. But we know how much exposure to radiation is required to produce a 5% increase in lifetime cancers. We know that we aren't seeing those cancers anywhere outside Ukraine, and we know how many extra we are seeing in Ukraine.

Your argument seems to be that we should ban anything that could cause any amount of cancer, anywhere. That essentially means "all human activity". Focusing on one tiny part of that because it's complicated, gets journalists excited, and in some way related to atomic weapons, makes no rational sense.

I hope this comment doesn't cause the thread to be locked. I've been delaying posting my reply because I was busy with work. I'll try not to continue this discussion, but I'd like to post it before it's no longer possible to reply to M Paquette's comments.
Well tigger, if one agrees with the expression "I read it on the Internet, it must be true" there is only one conclusion, we're all dead.

However, if one considers your sources it's possible another conclusion might be in order. Consider the source of your quotes:

• www.zerohedge.com . Must be reliable, after all I read their "Manifesto" trying to determine their credibility. It was: our method: pseudonymous speech... Clearly the best research. After all, if I publish this under my own name I may have to defend my conclusions.
  • Energy Science From the Home Page "With the emerging reality of global climate change, we are now conscious of the imperative to change the ways in which we create and use energy, in all its different forms and applications. Many of our human activities have an impact on the Earth's biosphere - our home. The majority view of scientists around the world is that greenhouse gas emissions have to be brought under control. With atmospheric carbon dioxide at the highest level ever, we need to take urgent action. " Looks like impartial science to me, no foregone conclusions.
  • When the Fukushima Meltdown Hits Groundwater | Hawai`i News Daily Written by " Dr. Tom Burnett" If you go to the end of the article you get "Tom Burnett is a farmer on the Big Island of Hawaii. He blogs at http://drtom.posterous.com. ". Sounds like a great source for nuclear reaction information.

I stopped at this point. It suddenly hit me that there may be things google can find that might just be opinion, not facts. Ok by you?

I won't take the time to go point-by-point, but I would like to respond to this characterization you provided of those who support nuclear (bold mine):

I would like to leave you with this thought of Ran Prieur:

"Why do geeks love nuclear power? More precisely, using Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences, why do people with high logical-mathematical intelligence like nuclear power so much more than people with high intelligence in other areas? Framed this way, it's an easy question. In the world of logic and numbers and predictable machines, nuclear power is totally safe. Chernobyl doesn't count because, for political reasons, the plant was not designed, regulated, or run correctly. Fukushima doesn't count because, for economic reasons, the plant was not built to withstand an 8.9 earthquake and tsunami.

Nuclear power would be perfect if only you stinky primates would obey our beautiful science!"

I can only speak for myself, as one of those logical/geeky types. That 'easy answer' does not describe me at all. M Paquette's graphic sums it up. It isn't that nuclear is 'totally safe' (a completely illogical statement, by the way, so that quote is really a non-sequitur), but that it has proven to be safer than other forms of energy production.

Logically, things must be looked at in context. Ran Prieur, and yourself, are not doing that. I simply, logically need to ask - what is the alternative? Oh, if we go all solar, wind etc, we will need huge, massive, energy storage devices to cover the gaps in sun and wind. Tell me how you are going to store 24G-watt-hours safely? That's a whole heck of a lot of power to stuff into one place?

-ERD50

Oh, if we go all solar, wind etc, we will need huge, massive, energy storage devices to cover the gaps in sun and wind.
Maybe not. My electric company can turn off my electric water heater remotely, when power runs short. We could extend that strategy.

Hydroelectric could provide storage devices if we pumped water back into reservoirs above dams.

Clever.

But historical death rate is only one side of the coin. Death rate if the worst possible case shows up is much more important. That chart simply doesn't take tail risk into account.

It's like in 1999 showing a historical chart of the US stock market and proclaiming stocks a safe investment that always goes up in the long run.

Moreover, death rate is not the whole picture. Long term pollution of inhabitable land is also important.

Also, everything can be compared favorably to worse options. Alzheimer's suddenly seems a wonderful disease:

Deadly Victims:
. Alzheimer's
o Heart disease
O Cancer

At an individual level, you can't. But we know how much exposure to radiation is required to produce a 5% increase in lifetime cancers. We know that we aren't seeing those cancers anywhere outside Ukraine, and we know how many extra we are seeing in Ukraine.

I don't think numbers about the dangers of radioactivity are that "hard".

For example: a 2007 study by the National Bureau of Economic Reasearch examined cognitive effects of Chernobyl’s radiation upon Swedish children. It found evidence that: “fetal exposure to ionizing radiation damages cognitive ability at radiation levels previously considered safe.” Knowledge is continually evolving. Fukushima will surely be remembered as a major "learning opportunity".

The clouds from Fukushima have traveled around the world, like those of Chernobyl did before (I'm not saying they're comparable, I'm only talking about how the could have spread). Their effect doesn't coincide with country borders and depends of meterological circumstances. One town, Gävle (Sweden) was in particular hit hard with cesium-137 and still suffers the conqequences. In Gävle, the link has been made with the Chernobyl disaster, but we haven't checked the whole planet with contamination detection equipment. These clouds have gone around the world so to me it seems impossible to know how many victims there really are. Impossible to know doesn't equal safe.

I'm not sure either how trustworthy the numbers are about the Chernobyl victims. Many sources disagree.

And what about this: "Although the 2006 study by the French Institute of Radioprotection and Nuclear Safety said that no clear link could be found between Chernobyl and the increase of thyroid cancers in France, it also stated that papillary thyroid cancer had tripled in the following years."

if one considers your sources it's possible another conclusion might be in order. Consider the source of your quotes:

• www.zerohedge.com . Must be reliable, after all I read their "Manifesto" trying to determine their credibility. It was: our method: pseudonymous speech... Clearly the best research. After all, if I publish this under my own name I may have to defend my conclusions.
  • Energy Science From the Home Page "With the emerging reality of global climate change, we are now conscious of the imperative to change the ways in which we create and use energy, in all its different forms and applications. Many of our human activities have an impact on the Earth's biosphere - our home. The majority view of scientists around the world is that greenhouse gas emissions have to be brought under control. With atmospheric carbon dioxide at the highest level ever, we need to take urgent action. " Looks like impartial science to me, no foregone conclusions.
  • When the Fukushima Meltdown Hits Groundwater | Hawai`i News Daily Written by " Dr. Tom Burnett" If you go to the end of the article you get "Tom Burnett is a farmer on the Big Island of Hawaii. He blogs at http://drtom.posterous.com. ". Sounds like a great source for nuclear reaction information.
I stopped at this point. It suddenly hit me that there may be things google can find that might just be opinion, not facts. Ok by you?

About these three sources:

Zerohedge: quality of the information on that site varies wildly but in two out of these three links they did link to their source, the third is an interview with an activist and those usually don't have footnotes or references. So that seems pretty good to me.

Energy Science: kumquat, in the scientific world there is a strong consensus that global surface temperatures have increased in recent decades and that the trend is caused mainly by human-induced emissions of greenhouse gases. is that climate change is real. Given the implications, logic dictates that action is urgent. That doesn't mean they can't be mistaking, but it's hardly a view from a fringe minority. No scientific body of national or international standing disagrees with this view, though a few organisations hold non-committal positions.

"Dr Tom Burnett" - Note that I wrote: "one "Dr. Tom Burnett" (I don't know if he has any qualifications in this matter)". I can't read his site from my workplace due to technical reasons.

I simply, logically need to ask - what is the alternative? Oh, if we go all solar, wind etc, we will need huge, massive, energy storage devices to cover the gaps in sun and wind. Tell me how you are going to store 24G-watt-hours safely? That's a whole heck of a lot of power to stuff into one place?

I agree, that's a big problem.

But if we keep pouring most of the money into nuclear research, like we've been doing for fifty years, instead of into the quest for cleaner solutions, that problem won't get solved anytime soon.

Maybe not. My electric company can turn off my electric water heater remotely, when power runs short. We could extend that strategy.

Hydroelectric could provide storage devices if we pumped water back into reservoirs above dams.

Re. second paragraph: It seems like the invention of the perpetual motion machine.

Huge difference between shutting down an electric water heater during peaks (which has its own local storage system) and doing this on the kind of scale it would take for several cloudy and/or windless days.

No risks to that?

Banqiao Dam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1975 Flood
The Dam was designed to survive a once-in-1000-years flood (300 mm of rainfall per day). In August 1975, however, a once-in-2000-years flood occurred, ...

Casualties
According to the Hydrology Department of Henan Province,[5] in the province, approximately 26,000 people died from flooding and another 145,000 died during subsequent epidemics and famine. In addition, about 5,960,000 buildings collapsed, and 11 million residents were affected. Unofficial estimates of the number of people killed by the disaster have run as high as 230,000 people.

-ERD50

But historical death rate is only one side of the coin. Death rate if the worst possible case shows up is much more important. That chart simply doesn't take tail risk into account.
Actually, Chernobyl pretty much (57 or so direct deaths, plus 4000 extra deaths from cancer over 50 years, thus making it equivalent to 1% of the annual road traffic accident death rate in Ukraine) is the worst possible case, and it's close to impossible for it to happen again, except perhaps in somewhere like North Korea, and we don't get a vote on how they run their energy policy anyway.

Having major cities like Tokyo and San Francisco in places where a major destructive earthquake is just a matter of time, is a far greater risk. It just doesn't involve something "scary" like radiation, the health risks of which, while serious, are probably overstated. And the implicit innuendo that there might be some kind of nuclear explosion is just that, innuendo.

Actually, Chernobyl pretty much (57 or so direct deaths, plus 4000 extra deaths from cancer over 50 years, thus making it equivalent to 1% of the annual road traffic accident death rate in Ukraine) is the worst possible case, and it's close to impossible for it to happen again, except perhaps in somewhere like North Korea, and we don't get a vote on how they run their energy policy anyway.

"Worst possible case" means just what it says. Everything goes wrong and turns for the worst. Circumstances and coincidental events are as adverse as possible.

What I can imagine as a potential worst possible case includes at least all reactors on the largest site in existence being in full operation and then something going horribly wrong (someone dropping a "bunker buster" on it? An extreme earthquake?) and all of them getting out of control and melting down, thousands of tons of spent fuel that is being stored on the site overheating and burning, huge quantities of heavily radioactive materials from the fuel being liberated into the atmosphere, the sea, drinking water and soil over many months, no successful attempts to contain it, maybe some explosions or a new tsunami to spread it a bit more around, having major cities in the vicinity and not enough time to evacuate the population. Etc.

Sure, this isn't *likely* to happen, but the same would have been said of Fukushima and other disasters before they actually happened.

Chernobyl certainly isn't the worst *possible* case. And 4000 certainly isn't the greatest possible number of victims.

As a sidenote, the estimate of 4000 extra deaths is incorrect.

"The full report suggested another 5,000 of the 6.8 million people exposed to lower levels would also die - but this figure did not appear in the 50-page executive summary." Source

"Worst possible case" means just what it says. Everything goes wrong and turns for the worst. Circumstances and coincidental events are as adverse as possible.
The reference ERD50 posted above on the failure of the Banqiao dam is an instructive example of such a "perfect storm". A huge typhoon contacts a large cold front producing a massive rainfall, causing many upstream dams to fail, engineer's warnings about technical problems with the dam overridden (engineer fired), request to open flood gates refused, then accepted, but telegraph line fails preventing reception of message, ...

Okie dokie.

In the wonderful world of physics, 'worst possible case' has a meaning that you might not care for.

There is a finite chance, for example, that all 10 ^ 37 particles that compose your body might simultaneously translate their position to the center of the Sun when you finish reading this. (Roughly 1 in 10 ^ (10 ^ 500). I didn't bother solving Schroedinger's Equation for the full set of 10 ^ 37 particles. I'm so lazy...). That's pretty bad, and doesn't even require a nuclear reactor.

And don't get me started on the killer asteroids, risk of a supernova in our end of the galaxy, or the incredibly small, but again, non-zero chance of our not fully understanding the physics that CERN is exploring:

YouTube - The CERN black hole

Oopsie. (Note: This does not actually happen. Although Walter Wagner and Luis Sancho did file suit in Federal District Court in Hawaii to block CERN, just in case. Wrong jurisdiction, dudes!)

Technically, every person exposed to radiation will die. Also, persons not exposed to radiation will all die, too. Handwaves to imply attribution are not the most rigorous methodology...

There's this thing called innumeracy, an inability to understand numbers and reach rational conclusions. It's the same thing that leads people to take inappropriate risks with their lives, and worry about events that are very unlikely to pose any real risk.

Here's an easy one for you. The risk of getting a fatal cancer from one pass through a TSA Rapiscan full body scanner is around one in 30 million. If the Rapiscan use blocks half of all terrorist attacks on airplanes, has it increased or decreased the overall risk to an airline passenger? (Hint: use airline terrorist-related deaths for the 2000-2010 period, where mayhem has largely replaced hijacking, for the results that put Rapiscan in the least unfavorable light.)

There's this thing called innumeracy, an inability to understand numbers and reach rational conclusions. It's the same thing that leads people to take inappropriate risks with their lives, and worry about events that are very unlikely to pose any real risk.
I don't think you quite understand the problem. You're thinking of single disastrous events which are quite unlikely and consequently probably not worth worrying about. But real life disasters sometimes arise through the coincidence of events, each of which taken singly would be manageable, but which combine in a way nobody anticipated to produce a very bad result. If you don't know in advance what combinations can occur, how can you calculate the probabilities so you know you are within safe margins? (And by the way, Wikipedia has an entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_storm .)

What I can imagine as a potential worst possible case includes at least all reactors on the largest site in existence being in full operation and then something going horribly wrong (someone dropping a "bunker buster" on it? An extreme earthquake?) and all of them getting out of control and melting down, thousands of tons of spent fuel that is being stored on the site overheating and burning, huge quantities of heavily radioactive materials from the fuel being liberated into the atmosphere, the sea, drinking water and soil over many months, no successful attempts to contain it, maybe some explosions or a new tsunami to spread it a bit more around, having major cities in the vicinity and not enough time to evacuate the population. Etc.
Sorry, but you're starting to sound like my son when he was an over-imaginative 8-year-old, putting together dozens of things that just won't happen: world's biggest site, plus a bunker busting bomb, plus the site just happened to be unfortunately located near a major city, oh and then there's a tsunami, and the leaks last for months but nobody thinks to evacuate people... all you left out was the velociraptors.

To take just one factual point, the amount of fuel stored on a nuclear site is measured in kilograms, not "thousands of tons". But "thousands of tons" of anything sounds scary, I'll admit.

Do a bit of reading on the giant gates which can close the mouth of the Rhine downstream from Rotterdam. They are designed to be operational for 50 years and withstand (IIRC) a 5,000 year storm. There is still a chance that a storm will happen which will overwhelm them. If at the same time all the early warning systems break, because the storm knocks them out, tens of thousands of people could die. Worried? No, me neither, because the worst things do not all happen together. What's happening at Fukushima is only a collection of the "worst things that could possibly happen ever ever ever" in the minds of journalists. It's a series of pretty unlikely events that has given Japan a big bill, a major electricity supply headache, and killed (with radiation) a total of zero people - the same number as were killed by radiation at Three Mile Island.

You want something with the potential to kill millions of people? Try climate change. Or try malaria, which already is killing millions of people every year - but very few of them on TV with scary theme music.

Sure, this isn't *likely* to happen, but the same would have been said of Fukushima and other disasters before they actually happened.
Actually, what happened at Fukushima was more or less planned for. The engineers were given a slightly less catastrophic earthquake scenario (8.2 instead of 9.0, I think I read), but being thorough, they made a site which survived 9.0 anyway. The reactors scrammed immediately, making a meltdown impossible, and the containment vessels basically held, despite being 40 years old and numerous issues with defective maintenance over the years - things which are likely to happen. It's a huge mess, and it will take time and $$$ to fix, but that's economics. The entire population of Japan will die of something other than radiation-induced illnesses.

In the wonderful world of physics, 'worst possible case' has a meaning that you might not care for.

Indeed, I don't. I live in the real world where things man do can and sooner or later do go wrong.

:)

You can only reach valid conclusions if your assumptions and data are correct. I don't claim to be as good as you with numbers and I'm even certain that I'm not. But the fact that I have great doubts about both your assumptions and your data, and thus about the validity of your conclusions has nothing to do with innumeracy.

The risk of getting a fatal cancer from one pass through a TSA Rapiscan full body scanner is around one in 30 million. If the Rapiscan use blocks half of all terrorist attacks on airplanes, has it increased or decreased the overall risk to an airline passenger? (Hint: use airline terrorist-related deaths for the 2000-2010 period, where mayhem has largely replaced hijacking, for the results that put Rapiscan in the least unfavorable light.)

To solve that I would need to know how many passengers are going through these scanners, and how many people have died from airline-terrorism while they were in use or while they weren't in use.

Apart from those numbers, that I don't have, your approach heavily relies on a number of assumptions: that these scanners really block terrorist attacks, that it blocks exactly half of them (sounds like a very wild guess to me; I wouldn't trust the number from the brochure of the vendor), that the estimate of the risk increase is correct, that the machines are operated correctly, etc. That's a lot of estimates and assumptions.

Such calculations are necessary to help in decision making, but the results are dangerous in the hands of people who ignore or forget that there are a lot of assumptions behind it and more generally, the limitations of the model. (looking good in Excel doesn't make numbers based on flawed thinking correct)

And while you worry that this might happen, someday, maybe... every single day, coal plants are spewing radiation, sulfuric acid, mercury, particulates, and creating environmental damage at the mine with runoff, mountain top removal, habitat destruction, erosion, deforestation...

Don't we need to weigh the risks?

-ERD50

bold mine
Such calculations are necessary to help in decision making, but the results are dangerous in the hands of people who ignore or forget that there are a lot of assumptions behind it and more generally, the limitations of the model. (looking good in Excel doesn't make numbers based on flawed thinking correct)

And how dangerous are the results from not making the best assumptions we can make? Seems like all your 'arguments' fail to consider that there is an alternative that must be made. To not do nuclear means we must do something else (conservation si an option, but that's not going real well).

What's the old saw? To not decide is to decide, or to not take action is to take action, something like that? IOW, something is going to happen regardless. So is that 'something' better or worse than what you you object to?

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom