Ad Blocker Needed!

rtroxel

Recycles dryer sheets
As most of you know, those awful pop-ups and other web ads are getting bigger and bolder. Some of them cover half a page. You can block them for a few seconds, but as soon as you scroll a page, they're up again.

Consequently, I would like to hear others' experiences with ad-blocking software;i.e., which do you think are the best, etc.. I've read some reviews in PC Magazine, but I'd also like to hear straight from actual users.
So... Are there any blockers that you would like to recommend or not?

Thanks, as always,

Roy in New Mexico

For Windows, I swear by uBlock Origin.

For Windows, I swear by uBlock Origin.
Same here. I like their "Block element" feature, where you can selectively pick out something on a page that you want to block. I don't have many items blocked this way, but it can be really useful for non-ad portions of a webpage that are really annoying.

Another vote here for uBlock Origin on Windows.

Another vote here for uBlock Origin - though I'm not sure the OS makes a difference. I use it on Linux, Firefox, IIRC I also used it on Chrome/Chromium.

Are there any for Android tablets? I guess Google has blocked that?

-ERD50

Have extensive experience with uBlock, Ghostery, etc., but the best security combo IME is the following (all running at the same time): HTTPS EVERYWHERE, PRIVACY BADGER, DUCK DUCK GO ESSENTIALS, and ADGUARD ADBLOCKER. All are free and some welcome donations.

totally different approach but consider something like NextDNS which goes beyond just ad blocking to avoiding other threats at the DNS server. https://nextdns.io

One of the benefits here is that if you can configure it to protect everything on your network including mobile devices, IoT devices, etc. I've been quite happy with it for over a year now.

I just use the built-ins in Firefox and DuckDuckGo browsers. No add-ons required.
Looking closer it appears AdBlock Plus is on my Firefox tool bar... guess I need to poke around at that.

I recommend uBlock Origin. If a company pays Adblock Plus enough money, they'll show the ad.

Last edited:
Another vote here for uBlock Origin - though I'm not sure the OS makes a difference. I use it on Linux, Firefox, IIRC I also used it on Chrome/Chromium.

Are there any for Android tablets? I guess Google has blocked that?

-ERD50

uBlock Origin is available for Firefox on Android. I use it.

totally different approach but consider something like NextDNS which goes beyond just ad blocking to avoiding other threats at the DNS server. https://nextdns.io

One of the benefits here is that if you can configure it to protect everything on your network including mobile devices, IoT devices, etc. I've been quite happy with it for over a year now.

A DNS filter is another good addition to a home network. I've been using Pi-hole for a few years, and it helps a lot with devices that don't allow network filtering software to be directly installed. Cell phones, tablets, and smart TVs, for example.

What I want to block is those cookie consent things - any ideas? I tried some app that said it would block it but it didn't work.

What I want to block is those cookie consent things - any ideas? I tried some app that said it would block it but it didn't work.
Some ad-blockers have a "block element" feature or similar that may work (uBlock Origin has this feature). But from my experience, it's a manual process of creating the block by website/webpage.

My son gave me his laptop to use. He has uBlock Origin installed. I don't see any ads on this site.
And, best of all, no ads on Youtube. You don't have to pay extra for ad free youtube if you have uBlock Origin I guess? :dance:

A DNS filter is another good addition to a home network. I've been using Pi-hole for a few years, and it helps a lot with devices that don't allow network filtering software to be directly installed. Cell phones, tablets, and smart TVs, for example.

Exactly. DNS filters are effective when you want to block ads and other threats on your entire home network. NextDNS is my fav.. but there are others.

I've been using AdBlock Plus for years. Does a great job, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom