Air Purifiers for Allergies

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Does anyone have any recommendations for a "quiet" but effective unit that can clean air in a bedroom of approx. 400 ft2 or maybe even a bit larger for moving between a living area and bedroom? What I mean by quiet is it will not keep you awake at night while running or disturb TV watching, reading or conversations.

I use the white noise from the air purifiers in the bedroom to fall asleep.

I used to have a white noise machine that also worked but with the purifiers, that takes care of two birds with one stone :cool:.

Austin Air

My family swears by Austin Air, specifically the Bedroom Machine. It can be noisy on level 3, but for sleeping we have it on level 1 or level 2. My daughter has severe allergies and the filtration on this machine is better then HEPA. The air filter has to be replaced every five years. It is expensive. We paid $700 from amazon but its the best air purifier we have ever owned.

https://austinair.com/

Hop this helps

I use the white noise from the air purifiers in the bedroom to fall asleep.

I used to have a white noise machine that also worked but with the purifiers, that takes care of two birds with one stone :cool:.

I was wondering about that aspect being helpful, although we generally have dead quiet at night.

My family swears by Austin Air, specifically the Bedroom Machine. It can be noisy on level 3, but for sleeping we have it on level 1 or level 2. My daughter has severe allergies and the filtration on this machine is better then HEPA. The air filter has to be replaced every five years. It is expensive. We paid $700 from amazon but its the best air purifier we have ever owned.

https://austinair.com/

Hop this helps

Thanks. That unit looks like a winner and I will strongly consider it. I like that its filters do not need frequent changing and that it filters down to virus sized particles. I don't mind spending the money for something that is effective.

I have the Blueair air purifier that I use in my bedroom or living room when the air quality is bad. We have lots of forest fires in my area and it really seems to help.

It has 3 speeds, the highest sounds like a big fan. In my bedroom, I run it on high before going to bed, then turn it down. The lowest speed is pretty quiet. it lists the decibels in the description so you can compare to others.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WJL99W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These two are what we use. I don't have allergies, but I needed a way to get rid of the cig smell coming from the next door. We sealed the sliding doors and windows, etc, but nothing we did helped. I bought two cheapo air filters first but they were asbolutely useless.

I bought this from Costco. Not cheap, but it has 3-stage filters (actually 4 including the UV-C light thingy but I am not sure if that actually helps for anything, but it sounds good on paper, I guess...) and this air purifier works very well although it takes awhile to clear the air so you may want to start running it a few hours before you hit the bed. We have this in our living room, and I normally run it about 6 hours a day at Level 1 even if we detect no smell. It's super quiet at Level 1. And it's stylish IMO. I see a lot of reviews on the Costco site which you may find helpful. I went with Costco as I knew I could return it within 90 days if I didn't like it...

https://www.costco.com/germguardian...stem-with-bonus-filter.product.100285647.html

This one is smaller but this is what we use in our bedroom. I'm sensitive to smell/dirty air, etc, so I have it pretty much right next to me, but it has a sleep mode and that's super quiet. You will probably need two of those for your bedroom for your allergies... I just checked, but this one may have already been discontinued...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075MVDDZG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
I have the Conway air purifier . I bought it off Amazon for $200 . It is quiet and works great . I have a lot of allergies and it has really helped .

I have an AirFree that I purchased from hammacher.com. They have various sizes depending on square footage. Mine is totally quiet.

Wow, lots of good options to consider, thank you everyone.

I ended up ordering the Austin Air Bedroom Machine. It was a toss up between it and the IQ Air one that Car-Guy mentioned. I was able to find a distributor that provided a 15% discount, free shipping and no tax, and being US made, simpler filters that last longer, and being smaller in size did it for me.

I ended up ordering the Austin Air Bedroom Machine. It was a toss up between it and the IQ Air one that Car-Guy mentioned. I was able to find a distributor that provided a 15% discount, free shipping and no tax, and being US made, simpler filters that last longer, and being smaller in size did it for me.
I would love to hear your feedback once you've had a chance to use it for a while. DW has been looking for a good quality air purifier to help manage her allergies, and I have been trying to convince her to spend extra for this.

Good luck! :)

I would love to hear your feedback once you've had a chance to use it for a while. DW has been looking for a good quality air purifier to help manage her allergies, and I have been trying to convince her to spend extra for this.

I'd love to hear how it works out too!

I am not sure how quickly a difference in air quality will be noticed, but I will definitely provide an update/review. This too is mainly for my DW due to allergies.

FWIW, I could tell the difference in about 7 to 10 days.. YMMV

FWIW, I could tell the difference in about 7 to 10 days.. YMMV

7-10 days? I use the larger Austin Air for my main living area and a Blueair for my bedroom. Don't know any way to quantitatively measure it but I can feel a noticeable difference in the quality of the air just from breathing with the air purifier on after about 1 hour. As long as it's sized properly a good air purifier should cycle all the air in the room through it 4-5 times/hour.

Last edited:
7-10 days? I use the larger Austin Air for my main living area and a Blueair for my bedroom. Don't know any way to quantitatively measure it but I can feel a noticeable difference in the quality of the air just from breathing with the air purifier on after about 1 hour. As long as it's sized properly a good air purifier should cycle all the air in the room through it 4-5 times/hour.
I've had mine for over a year now and we run it all day but turn it off at night.... The house is only ~2000 sq ft but with the AC running too it's cleaning the air for the entire house... As best as I can remember the allergy symptoms we were experiencing seem to disappear 7 to 10 days after we got the thing. Maybe a bigger or even multiple systems would have worked better/quicker but "whatever" it's working for us. I don't know how to measure the effectiveness either other than it works for us and that's all I care about. Best $1000 I've spent in a long time.

I am planning to run the Austin Air in our bedroom, and after running it for a day on high speed, will move to lowest speed and run it 24/7. I have debated whether it would do us more good in the main living area, however, we have a cat and a corgi (dog is a prolific shedder), but do not want the unit getting clogged with hair. Neither pet is allowed in our bedroom. Also, the main living area is an open concept with vaulted ceilings, and I am not sure any unit could handle such a large open space. Our house is pretty tightly sealed and insulated, so that might also effect air quality.

Austin Air unit was delivered Saturday and has been running 24hr/day in our bedroom. For the first several hours ran it on high speed, then dropped to medium for a few more hours, and then permanently on the lowest speed. The unit is a very simple and well built design, must weigh close to 50 lbs and it is on casters. I noticed a difference in air quality after the first night, and DW felt the difference after two nights. The unit is very quiet on low speed, and even medium speed is not very loud. High speed might be a little too loud for sleeping purposes, but there is not need to run at that speed unless you are trying to clear a room quickly. Very pleased with this purchase and would not hesitate to recommend this unit.

Austin Air unit was delivered Saturday and has been running 24hr/day in our bedroom. For the first several hours ran it on high speed, then dropped to medium for a few more hours, and then permanently on the lowest speed. The unit is a very simple and well built design, must weigh close to 50 lbs and it is on casters. I noticed a difference in air quality after the first night, and DW felt the difference after two nights. The unit is very quiet on low speed, and even medium speed is not very loud. High speed might be a little too loud for sleeping purposes, but there is not need to run at that speed unless you are trying to clear a room quickly. Very pleased with this purchase and would not hesitate to recommend this unit.

Great to hear. If my current air purifier should go out, I will definitely look into Austin.

Great to hear. If my current air purifier should go out, I will definitely look into Austin.

I also should have mentioned it is made in the USA.

Back
Top Bottom