Amazon launching satellite Internet

Comcast is awful here. I'm up in the hills at the edge of civilization. Every time a car hits a telephone pole on the main road, the phone, internet, and often the power go down. I'm paying $87 a month with taxes for the phone and internet.

Results from Speedtest are

RESULTS SETTINGS

Result ID 12994071335
PING ms
DOWNLOAD Mbps
UPLOAD Mbps

Downright awful.

If I switch to the Comcast server in SF I get similar results.

PING ms
DOWNLOAD Mbps
UPLOAD Mbps

I don't understand all this, but the service is very slow and pages hang up constantly. The cellphone is faster.

Comcast is awful here. I'm up in the hills at the edge of civilization. Every time a car hits a telephone pole on the main road, the phone, internet, and often the power go down. I'm paying $87 a month with taxes for the phone and internet.

Results from Speedtest are

RESULTS SETTINGS

Result ID 12994071335
PING ms
DOWNLOAD Mbps
UPLOAD Mbps

Downright awful.

That's awful, you're absolutely right! Sorry that your internet is so slow. For that price one would think it would be faster. :( At least it's a little better when you connect with the SF server. But still, it's pretty awful.

AT&T is the option and I have heard worse things about them. Good thing I'm retired and have plenty of time for a second cup of coffee in the morning while trying to read the news...

Here in Raleigh I have Spectrum internet. 220mbps download, 11mbps upload for $74.99 all in.

Last edited:
Ping 10 ms
Jitter 2 ms
Download 89.6 Mbps
Upload 10.6

I feel pretty happy here with WOW , I pay $20/mo.

I have a cabin in the boonies, where there is NO internet. I'd be interested in a satellite solution if I could get it for a month or two, when I use the cabin.

I dropped Comcast internet back in February as I was paying $79 per month plus misc taxes and fees for 100mb download and 6mb upload speeds.

Moved to AT&T Fiber for $55 per month with the following performance.

AT&T Speed Test.jpg

I see this as a positive. Government is spending millions for people in rural areas to have internet access. It take two (or more) companies to actually compete.

I'm glad to see Amazon enter into the fray as the competition can't possibly make things any worse. Could it?

Anyway, when we first moved here we started with Comcast and I finally gave up on dealing with the idiots, morons, fools and imbeciles they hire. I very reluctantly keep the cable TV only because DW wants it but Internet access is DSL through Frontier. They're not great, but Comcast has set a pretty low bar to clear and they are better than that.

So if Amazon is half as good at Internet as they are with shipping stuff they'll be terrific by comparison with the current competition around here.

I'm paying $34.99 for 200MBPs, I have a couple of buddies with the same company paying $29.99 for the same speed. I thought I should complain, but after seeing what everyone else is paying, I better not bring attention to myself.

Attachments

• Speedtest.jpg
    Speedtest.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 19
Starlink price increased to $110 a month now and $600-$700 for the equipment without any possible installation costs. We are grateful for it. But it’s clearly NOT for city slickers who have better options for less money. It also needs a pretty clear view of the sky without a lot of obstructions like trees. Many of our neighbors are too forested to get reliable signals with Starlink. Other satellite dishes we have had in the past just point at one spot in the sky and stay there. Because of this we could often just shoot through a clearing in the trees. But Starlink is constantly hunting different sats and needs open sky to do it well.

Amazon will probably run their service like their Prime video. Give us the first episodes free, and then sock it to us $$$ when we show interest. I’ll wait and see what happens to everyone else first…

Word on the street is that NASA and the government bodies that control NASA and the satellites in space, is that they hardly want to let SPACEX/STARLINK finish deploying the rest of their satellites. Amazon getting authorization to put up a parallel system, that takes more useable orbital space seems a stretch. The amount of satellites to give complete coverage is over ~40,000 just for STARLINK.

Back
Top Bottom