Amazon Prime movie suggestions

Thank you - just watched the first one, DH and I greatly enjoyed it and will watch #2 tonight.

You’re welcome. I watched the second part today and thought the documentary is worth a look. I think it dates from 2020.

It seems it’s currently on Prime as a promo for MGM+. The film also mentions EPIX. It gets a little confusing seeing these streaming services weave themselves back and forth!

I just noticed that Prime has Laurel Canyon available, a series about the L.A. area where a lot of 60s bands started and lived.

It’s not on Prime for much longer (days). I’m checking it out tonight. It might be available on other services.

Thanks for posting this. DH and I watched both episodes last night and enjoyed it.

I had no idea that so many of the people in so many bands that I liked lived there. I can't even imagine.

I accidentally posted this in the “What Series are you Watching” thread so I’m reposting here in the appropriate location.

We’re watching Daisy Jones & The Six. The series is based on a book and is about the music scene in the 1970s. It’s filmed in a documentary style, including background interviews with the band, but it’s a work of fiction. The lead actress, Daisy, is Elvis Presley’s granddaughter.

We like it a lot. Three episodes in and looking forward to the next episodes which release on Thursday.

You’re welcome. I watched the second part today and thought the documentary is worth a look. I think it dates from 2020.

It seems it’s currently on Prime as a promo for MGM+. The film also mentions EPIX. It gets a little confusing seeing these streaming services weave themselves back and forth!

Epix has morphed into MGM+. Laurel Canyon is currently available on MGM+.

Epix has morphed into MGM+. Laurel Canyon is currently available on MGM+.

Ah, I see. Glad it remains out there somewhere. One artist I don’t recall seeing in the movie was Carole King. She’s amazing (I think) and collaborated with James Taylor and Joni Mitchell (who do appear). There are some interesting photos at King’s website, some identified as taken in Laurel Canyon.

I accidentally posted this in the “What Series are you Watching” thread so I’m reposting here in the appropriate location.

We’re watching Daisy Jones & The Six. The series is based on a book and is about the music scene in the 1970s. It’s filmed in a documentary style, including background interviews with the band, but it’s a work of fiction. The lead actress, Daisy, is Elvis Presley’s granddaughter.

We like it a lot. Three episodes in and looking forward to the next episodes which release on Thursday.

I've just started watching this. I really like it. Didn't know about Daisy, but now that you mention it, she does look like Lisa Marie. I heard part of the story may be based on this famous band.... Hmm...

It looks like Top Gun Maverick just dropped in Prime (free) to Prime members. I clicked on it and it didn't ask for rental or purchase. Probably watch it tonight.

I heard part of the story may be based on this famous band.... Hmm...

We heard the same thing. As the series progresses, you’ll start to see the similarities. We finished the season and hope another one is in the works.

I've just started watching Daisy Jones and the Six. I really like it. Didn't know about Daisy, but now that you mention it, she does look like Lisa Marie. I heard part of the story may be based on this famous band.... Hmm...

Well, it was good for a while and it got too repetitive with so much anger and discord. I had to stop.

It looks like Top Gun Maverick just dropped in Prime (free) to Prime members. I clicked on it and it didn't ask for rental or purchase. Probably watch it tonight.

Thank you for that heads-up. I've been waiting for it to go to "free" status somewhere. Of course it's not really free but close enough.

Maverick has been on Paramount+ for a couple months now.

I just noticed that Prime has Laurel Canyon available, a series about the L.A. area where a lot of 60s bands started and lived.

It’s not on Prime for much longer (days). I’m checking it out tonight. It might be available on other services.

Following up on this a little:

PBS has broadcast the 2023 Gershwin Prize concert, honoring Joni Mitchell. It is a very good show featuring an amazing artist.

I’ve been watching a documentary An Impossible Peace, on Freevue through Prime. It describes the period between the World Wars (most docs are about the wars themselves) and is very interesting.

You wonder how/why these things happen…

I'm watching Alive Inside, a documentary about music waking up part of the brains of Alzheimer's/dementia patients as well as other patients at a nursing home. What they are going through is truly heartbreaking. Many have to live like living dead people. And music gives them back a little bit of themselves. The film also addresses social issues, challenges and dehumanizing aspects of nursing homes.

Last edited:
Saw this last night. Joni Mitchell, Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young, Linda Ronstadt, and so many more. Very personal stories, how they met, what their songs meant, their relationships, and the "Garden of Eden" in Laurel Canyon. Original video, pics, and interviews. We got absolutely absorbed. There are 2 episodes.

We enjoyed that too.

The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial starring Kiefer Sutherland, Lance Riddick, and Jason Clarke, directed by William Friedkin on Paramount Plus.

I read Herman Wouk's book The Caine Mutiny in high school (11th grade?) and we also watched the movie in class. The story really left an impression on me. All Star cast in that movie included Humphrey Bogart as Captain Queeg, Jose Ferrer as the defense counsel Greenwald, E.G. Marshall as the prosecutor, Fred McMurray as Lt. Keefer.

This production is set in 2023, not WWII, and focuses in on the trial portion of Wouk's story. Basically, it's all about the trial and the brief scene at the after party where Greenwald indignantly speechifies.

If you like to watch legal maneuvering and trial scenes (I do!) you will like this.

No one could possibly match Bogart's performance in the original and while Kiefer Sutherland is very good, I suppose he falls short. However, in retrospect, across 48 years, maybe Bogart was overacting? "The strawberries, see..." (rolls steel marbles in hand)

Jason Clarke plays JAG Greenwald and does a really nice job. I don't have vivid memories of Jose Ferrer's portrayal, so I guess Clarke's portrayal is better.

This was director William Friedkin's (The French Connection, The Exorcist) last work. Also actor Lance Riddick (John Wick 1 & 2, Fringe) last work.

[Edited to add: Just realized this is the Amazon Prime Video thread, and the movie was on Paramount Plus]

Last edited:
The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial starring Kiefer Sutherland, Lance Riddick, and Jason Clarke, directed by William Friedkin on Paramount Plus.

I read Herman Wouk's book The Caine Mutiny in high school (11th grade?) and we also watched the movie in class. The story really left an impression on me. All Star cast in that movie included Humphrey Bogart as Captain Queeg, Jose Ferrer as the defense counsel Greenwald, E.G. Marshall as the prosecutor, Fred McMurray as Lt. Keefer.

This production is set in 2023, not WWII, and focuses in on the trial portion of Wouk's story. Basically, it's all about the trial and the brief scene at the after party where Greenwald indignantly speechifies.

If you like to watch legal maneuvering and trial scenes (I do!) you will like this.

No one could possibly match Bogart's performance in the original and while Kiefer Sutherland is very good, I suppose he falls short. However, in retrospect, across 48 years, maybe Bogart was overacting? "The strawberries, see..." (rolls steel marbles in hand)

Jason Clarke plays JAG Greenwald and does a really nice job. I don't have vivid memories of Jose Ferrer's portrayal, so I guess Clarke's portrayal is better.

This was director William Friedkin's (The French Connection, The Exorcist) last work. Also actor Lance Riddick (John Wick 1 & 2, Fringe) last work.

[Edited to add: Just realized this is the Amazon Prime Video thread, and the movie was on Paramount Plus]

Completely agree with the above. I was surprised to learn that this version of the The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial (we saw it on Paramount +) is actually the 4th or 5th re-make of the story. There were previous TV movies in 1959 and 1988 and TV series episodes in 1955 and 1958. It appears that the latter were episodes in an anthology series.

https://www.imdb.com/find/?q=caine%20mutiny%20trial&ref_=nv_sr_sm

Completely agree with the above. I was surprised to learn that this version of the The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial (we saw it on Paramount +) is actually the 4th or 5th re-make of the story. There were previous TV movies in 1959 and 1988 and TV series episodes in 1955 and 1958. It appears that the latter were episodes in an anthology series.

https://www.imdb.com/find/?q=caine mutiny trial&ref_=nv_sr_sm
Interesting. I did not know there were this many productions. I did notice in the opening credits of the 2023 version stated "based on the play by Herman Wouk."

The Caine Mutiny was originally a novel, then a broadway play and finally the movies and TV productions.

Lifted from Wikipedia...

In 1954, Columbia Pictures released the film The Caine Mutiny, starring Humphrey Bogart as Queeg in a widely acclaimed performance[13] that earned him the third and final Academy Award nomination of his career.

After the novel's success, Wouk adapted the court-martial sequence into a full-length, two-act Broadway play, The Caine Mutiny Court Martial. Directed by Charles Laughton, it was a success on the stage in 1954, opening five months before the release of the film and starring Lloyd Nolan as Queeg, John Hodiak as Maryk, and Henry Fonda as Greenwald. It has been revived twice on Broadway, and was presented on television live in 1955, under the direction of Franklyn J. Schaffner, and in 1988, as a made-for-television film, directed by Robert Altman.[14][15][16][17]

In 1988, the stage script was translated into Chinese by Ying Ruocheng, a famous Chinese actor, director, playwright and Vice Minister of Culture. At Ying's invitation, Charlton Heston directed the translated play in a successful run at the Beijing People's Art Theatre, opening on October 18, 1988.[18] The play was revived in 2006, again under Heston, and has been revived there twice more (2009, 2012), since his death.

In 2023, a new adaptation directed by William Friedkin starring Kiefer Sutherland as Lt. Commander Queeg premiered.[19] Filming began in early 2023.[20]

Back
Top Bottom