Amazon Prime Streaming with Commercials

That is pretty common place for almost any movie made in the last 30+ years.

Yes, I'm aware of product placement in movies. However, this TurboTax placement was a bit overboard.

That sounds pretty distracting. I keep hearing season 2 is not as good. So, even worse with commercials both interrupting the show and within the show! :LOL:

We're currently in Mexico, we watched the first 3 or 4 episodes of season 2 before we left so we never saw any commercials. So far I preferred season 1 but overall the show is just "okay" and there's not much else that we watch on prime so we'll probably cancel shortly after we get back.

Thanks all. I last checked a year or two ago and it was not available anywhere except on DVD. I'll check it out (and suffer through the adds I guess.)
I had made some posts a couple weeks back in the "old TV series" thread about watching the first couples seasons of Northern Exposure. I had seen a bit of it when it originally aired, but not much. Two seasons this time was enough for me, though.

More news on this. If you don't pay to upgrade to the ad-free version of Amazon Prime Video, you lose the ability to receive programming in Dolbyvision and with audio in Dolby Atmos format.

If you want Dolbyvision and Dolby Atmos audio you have to pay $2.99 a month extra to get it. This is yet another thing that was included that you now have to pay extra for.

Well, well, well...

Amazon Prime Video Ad Tier Sparks Class Action Lawsuit From Subscribers

The lawsuit takes aim at the e-commerce giant turning on ads for Prime Video users and charging them an additional fee for its ad-free tier.

Amazon is facing a lawsuit accusing it of misleading Prime subscribers by charging them an additional fee to stream movies and TV shows without ads.

A proposed class action lawsuit, filed on Friday in California federal court, claims breach of contract and violations of state consumer protection laws on behalf of users who saw the terms of their subscriptions with Amazon change when it pivoted to making its ad tier the default for its over one hundred million subscribers.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...mazon-prime-video-ad-tier-lawsuit-1235822779/

I cancelled Prime mainly because we don't watch their video much and the price is just too high. Actually, I find their user interface on Prime Video to be very confusing as to what was included with Prime, available to rent/buy, available on another streaming service but possible to subscribe within Prime, etc. The additonal fee for avoiding ads simply made me sit an think about whether the benefits of Prime were worth the cost. We mainly took advantage of the "free" shipping, but for the price I can live without it, given the other options such as a minimum purchase, opting for slow boat, etc.

But, yesterday I watched a video on Prime from Freevee for the first time. The commercials interrupted the dialog in mid-sentence! Wait, that goes under the Pet Peeve of the Day thread. Anyway, I assume that was Freevee's doing, not Prime Video?

I cancelled Prime mainly because we don't watch their video much and the price is just too high. Actually, I find their user interface on Prime Video to be very confusing as to what was included with Prime, available to rent/buy, available on another streaming service but possible to subscribe within Prime, etc. The additonal fee for avoiding ads simply made me sit an think about whether the benefits of Prime were worth the cost. We mainly took advantage of the "free" shipping, but for the price I can live without it, given the other options such as a minimum purchase, opting for slow boat, etc.

But, yesterday I watched a video on Prime from Freevee for the first time. The commercials interrupted the dialog in mid-sentence! Wait, that goes under the Pet Peeve of the Day thread. Anyway, I assume that was Freevee's doing, not Prime Video?

Freevee IS a Prime Video operation.

I mentioned I thought it was a breach of contract since people paid for a year of Prime before this ad thing was announced. They should have had to either offer a refund or delay the ad for people who had already paid for the year before the announcement.

It seems FreeVee is dominating the lineup on Amazon Prime.
Haven't decided if I'll keep Prime or not. Not interested in any commercials of any kind. We seldom watch anything on Prime and only have it for the deliveries. Now with us living near an Amazon warehouse at our condo and Prime deliveries at our cabin taking over a week anyway I'm wondering if Prime is worth it anymore.
Even at our condo in the city I'm finding that most items even if Prime are taking longer to ship. 2 days is uncommon anymore.

I mentioned I thought it was a breach of contract since people paid for a year of Prime before this ad thing was announced. They should have had to either offer a refund or delay the ad for people who had already paid for the year before the announcement.
I agree and wonder why they chose this approach. They could easily put existing subscribers onto the ad-free tier until the renewal date.

Well, well, well...

Amazon Prime Video Ad Tier Sparks Class Action Lawsuit From Subscribers

The lawsuit takes aim at the e-commerce giant turning on ads for Prime Video users and charging them an additional fee for its ad-free tier.

Amazon is facing a lawsuit accusing it of misleading Prime subscribers by charging them an additional fee to stream movies and TV shows without ads.

A proposed class action lawsuit, filed on Friday in California federal court, claims breach of contract and violations of state consumer protection laws on behalf of users who saw the terms of their subscriptions with Amazon change when it pivoted to making its ad tier the default for its over one hundred million subscribers.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...mazon-prime-video-ad-tier-lawsuit-1235822779/

The class action lawsuit will mostly benefit the lawyers. What will benefit the consumer is to simply cancel Prime. I did. And I am finding I don’t miss it that much if at all.

Last edited:
The ad frequency has changed. Now each episode starts with 2 long commercials, then there are 4 15 second interruptions, then another long one.

Ugh! That sounds absolutely horrible.
Ignoring the 2 ads before the show starts, that is 5 commercial interruptions. Which means 6 segments of the show. It is a ~45 minute show. So a commercial every 7.5 minutes! Yuck!

I don't mind commercials before a show.
I do like being able to watch a full show without interruptions.

Back
Top Bottom