Amazon Prime movie suggestions

Last night I watched "13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi". In case you wondered; there is zero political agenda in the movie. I thought it was well directed and acted. You cannot help but be proud of our armed forces but disappointed in the support they get.
It is just a story of what happened over 18 hours. It is suspenseful from the beginning to the end and I thought about the story at night and today.

Tough to watch...
The Hornet's Nest (2014) - IMDb
"Armed only with their cameras, Peabody and Emmy Award-winning conflict Journalist Mike Boettcher, and his son, Carlos, provide unprecedented access into the longest war in U.S. history."
We happened to watch this last night. Gives a good real view from the warrior perspective.

The Expanse is brilliant SF. I knew I'd love it the moment I saw one of the characters using a broad sign-language to emphasize his words, and realized that the early Belters would have been in space suits much of the time and such gestures became part of means of communication. Another high point was the crack in the lead cop's handheld device. It's the little things that give verisimilitude, which is so important in an SF series. People talk about the willing suspension of disbelief, but disbelief is not suspended, it is held up by force. Little things ease the load.

+1 on The Expanse.

We watched an older movie last night, Almost Famous. If you were into music in the early to mid 70's and followed bands this is very interesting story about a Rolling Stone writer. It is semi-autobiagraphical and uses made up names to cover for what happened with the Poco, The Allman Brothers Band, Led Zeppelin, the Eagles, and Lynyrd Skynyrd.
It was not a stoner movie about lots of drugs but an interesting story how very young person got to cover all those bands and stay away from drugs.

I recently watched Newsroom on Prime, an Aaron Sorkin production that I think was on HBO... excellent! Sort of like The West Wing but in a major network newsroom.

Another series that I watched previously that was good was Nikita (similar to Alias on ABC back many years ago).

Currently watching Orphan Black... interesting but the jury is still out.

I recently watched Newsroom on Prime, an Aaron Sorkin production that I think was on HBO... excellent! Sort of like The West Wing but in a major network newsroom.

Another series that I watched previously that was good was Nikita (similar to Alias on ABC back many years ago).

Currently watching Orphan Black... interesting but the jury is still out.

Orphan Black, it gets phenomenal reviews but I only made it thru season1 and the first two of season two. It's the most convoluted plot intense show and just not enjoyable to watch for me. They threw in a few too many clones...

Orphan Black, it gets phenomenal reviews but I only made it thru season1 and the first two of season two. It's the most convoluted plot intense show and just not enjoyable to watch for me. They threw in a few too many clones...
I think we watched 2 seasons. It was fun for awhile. I enjoyed seeing the female star in her various cloned roles.

If "Fortitude" is on your "liked" list, then "Trapped" should be on your "Watch" list. It is a murder mystery set in Iceland. We are 7 episodes in and it is like the book you can't put down -- each episode leaves one very tempted to start the next... even knowing it is way past your bedtime. <chuckle>

There is a little nudity (mostly in the first scenes) and subtitles take care of the rare "bad" word.. The only thing I can complain about, however, is that it is sub-titled but there is no closed captioning available. Most of the dialog is in the native Icelandic language but there are many scenes spoken in English. There is, of course, no subtitles for the English dialog and it takes a few seconds for the brain (at least, mine) to realize that they are speaking my native tongue... thus missing some important clues.

In any event, it is one the most well-written shows I have seen in a very long time.

"Quest: Man's Journey Into Space" initially looks dated due to 4:3 screen formatting but that may be intentional because most of the content is excellent, old footage of the history of space exploration starting with rockets of the 1940s. Lots of Soviet rocket launch films I'd not seen before. Well-written narrative accompanies. Narrator has an unusual accent, perhaps a multilingual Scotsman? Seems to be unlisted in IMDB.

I have just started watching Comrade Detective on Amazon Prime.

It is a 1980's Romanian TV crime show. It has been remastered and dubbed in English so there are no subtitles. It's a hoot! The 'Star' is a two fisted no-nonsense cop who is loyal to his partners and the Communist system. He sometimes goes over board and breaks a few criminal heads along the way, but it's OK since they bad guys who act to much like Americans.

The over the top Cold War politics are just plain funny. Most of the bad guys are bad because they behave like 'Capitalists' - selling drugs, running Speakeasy's, and generally seeking personal gain by doing things that harm the people's paradise. The American Ambassador is a Southern Country Gal who looks and dresses like a hooker, drinks too much and hangs out in an illegal gambling club in Bucharest. Her aid could be a pole dancer. One Romanian cop comments about that to his partner who replies "What do you expect, all capitalists are prostitutes".

Last edited:
Archangel, a 3 episode series, free for Prime Members. An excellent BBC production, intriguing old Soviet story, and, besides, who can pass up watching Daniel Craig?

Rita

I just saw the 1st episode of Comrade Detective. It is a hoot! Although it is not a real Romanian show redubbed, it is a spoof, made to look like an old Communist TV show. I think that makes it so much more fun!

And let's not forget The Grand Tour now in its 2nd season. It is the continuation of the crazy trio from Top Gear after Jeremy got fired and the other 2 left the show.

Just started watching Black Harbour. An LA chef moves her family to a small fishing village in Nova Scotia to care for her mother. Since I grew up in a small town in southern Louisiana and my mom is from a small fishing village in Louisiana this brings back many memories of my childhood. It's like I know some of the locals portrayed in the series.

I have had the Acorn add-on for a few years and love the British/New Zealand/Australian shows offered. But now I see that Amazon Prime has "channels", including one called BritBox. Has anyone subscribed to that? I am trying to figure out the amount of overlap with Acorn. Thanks!

I was looking for something to kill some time last night, and noticed Amazon had Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets available for Prime streaming. I'd seen commercials when it was in the theaters, and it looked interesting so I watched.

It was an interesting concept, very colorful and visually stunning, directed by Luc Besson (Fifth Element, Lucy). But the story was pretty simplistic, and the lead actor and actress looked like they were sleepwalking through it. No chemistry at all. Overall not bad, but I can see why it became available for streaming so quickly.

We liked "Mildred Pierce" which is a movie about a family entering the Depression Era located in Los Angeles. Mildred gets into baking as a way to earn a living. Lots of interesting things happen to the family in this HBO miniseries.

I think this is a very different thoughtful show from the run of the mill offerings sometimes shown on streaming.

I am 4 episodes into Absentia. It is pretty good. Twists and turns around an FBI agent that comes back from a really bad number of years. It is supposed to be set in Boston but I think it was filmed in Bulgaria or some such place. A lot of underlying accents in the background characters.

We all liked "Logan Lucky". It's a tightly plotted caper film, with a great cast. You have to watch closely because little details keep coming back later in the story.

I am 4 episodes into Absentia. It is pretty good. Twists and turns around an FBI agent that comes back from a really bad number of years. It is supposed to be set in Boston but I think it was filmed in Bulgaria or some such place. A lot of underlying accents in the background characters.

I watched the first episode a couple weeks ago. (I am a big fan of Stana Katic from watching her as Becket on "Castle.") I agree Absentia is worth watching and I plan to get back to it very soon.

Last night we watched "Wind River" on Netflix (no charge). One of the best movies I have watched in many years. You can "rent" it on Amazon Prime, if you don't want to wait for it to become available at no charge there. (Hmmm. you could subscribe to Netflix for one month for less than that. <grin>)

In any event, watch the trailer and add it to your "watch" list.

Watched “Wind River” last night. Beautiful scenery and I like Jeremy Renner but, the story line is a bit thin.

The Night Manager 6 part British miniseries from John LeCarrè spy story. Classy and suspenseful, pits arms dealer Hugh Laurie vs. Tom Hiddleston.

Captain Fantastic - quirky, but fascinating story about a man trying to raise his six kids off the grid. Great performances all around. Far better than at least three of the films that were nominated for Best Picture the same year (2016) that it came out.

Watched “Wind River” last night. Beautiful scenery and I like Jeremy Renner but, the story line is a bit thin.

The scenery would do it for me if it’s set in the Wind Rever range Wyoming. We’ve driven through a few times.

Back
Top Bottom