Android vs iphone

PERSonalTime

Recycles dryer sheets
This question is generally directed to android phone users. I'm considering getting a new phone and trying to decide between the android operating system or the iPhone operating system. Which operating system would you choose and why?

This question is generally directed to android phone users. I'm considering getting a new phone and trying to decide between the android operating system or the iPhone operating system. Which operating system would you choose and why?

Android all day (& Night) I have owned both and now just have Android on a Samsung. No Apple Jail being the main reason, you can DL apps from anywhere on an Android in developer mode (No Not Rooted), plus apps seem to come out on Android before iOS. I prefer the flexibility of Android and stopped putting up with the inflexibility of iOS 2 years ago.

My wife still has an iPhone, but she is clueless about file systems. She basically uses it as a phone and does exactly what Apple tell her to do. If she needs anything downloaded, printed, etc. I always seem to be getting it on my Android and copying it to her laptop or printing it directly to our HP laser.

JMHO I could be wrong.

Android all day (& Night) I have owned both and now just have Android on a Samsung. No Apple Jail being the main reason, you can DL apps from anywhere on an Android in developer mode (No Not Rooted), plus apps seem to come out on Android before iOS. I prefer the flexibility of Android and stopped putting up with the inflexibility of iOS 2 years ago.

+1 I hate the "Apple Tyranny"

Do you live in an apple or google environment right now? If so, that would likely be the best way to go. I've been on gmail since the "invitation only" days, have gotten fully sucked into the ecosystem, and switching costs matter.

Going by the specs, for a normal user (ShokWaveRider looks to be beyond that!) you aren't going to go wrong with a pixel or the latest iPhone. Either one will more than do the job.

After having nothing but iPhones for about a decade, I am much happier with my LG android phone I got for free when I switched from Verizon to Cricket.

That said, I am not much of a "power user" any more, having become bored with a lot of the capabilities of iPhones; after years of using these capabilities I no longer have any desire for any of them. For me, they were simply a novelty and the novelty wore off.

The sound quality, understandability, and timber during phone calls, are much better on my LG phone than they were on my iPhone. My LG phone has an easy texting app. These are attributes that matter to me. But to be honest, I haven't downloaded a single app that didn't already come with my LG phone because I know what they are, and just don't have any desire for them. So, my preference may not be useful for you.

I never thought I'd move away from iPhones, but the ever increasing prices were just disgusting to me.

Last edited:
I agree about keeping it in the family. If you already have an iPad or Mac, you are probably best staying with the Apple iPhone. I'm under the impression that they just work better together than crossing to Android. Maybe it's all transparent these days. Personally I think iPhones are overpriced and I don't like that they are doing things like eliminating the audio jack. Others may see value in the iPhone.

Android 100%. Lower costs and tons of useful highly integrated google stuff. And wide availability of apps. I usually buy a Samsung Galaxy a few generations back and they handle tasks pretty well for what I use it for. You can buy a fancier phone if you need more power, more screen real estate, etc. Or you can go cheap and buy an older model like me still full of firepower. I bought a brand new $30 Kyocera Hydro Icon (android) for my daughter and it's pretty amazing for the price.

Android, cuz I'm not too fond of paying luxury prices for a commodity item.

The only apple product i've owned was an iPod years ago that I got for free at work. So I can't compare. I chose android originally because I felt that the apple system was too closed. I used to root my phones, try different versions of android etc. I don't find the need to do that anymore.

I agree with the others that it pays to buy into an ecosystem. For me, that's google. I use gmail, google maps, calendar, contacts, docs/sheets, photos, keep (note taking), youtube and probably some others that I'm missing. The integration works well. When I want to find my way to a friend's home (address in contacts), I just search on their name in maps, when I want to send a friend a link to a video or photo album, the email addresses just show up. When I book a flight, google puts the information into the calendar based on the confirmation email. It reminds me to pay bills too, based on emails. I think the integration is pretty cool, though google probably knows too much about me.

I assume the same is true in the apple world.

Last edited:
I agree with those who favor staying with an eco system if you have other Apple or Win devices, though these days there's more cross compatibility than ever. We have iPhones & iPads and they share with our Win PC and laptop without issue.

We had Android and switched to iOS due to privacy concerns. Google and Apple both use your personal information for good and you're not 100% safe anywhere these days. But Google data mines and monetizes your personal information like no one else, and more and more so with each passing year (mining users emails lately). Android is popular because people think all those wonderful Google apps and services are "free." Where do people think their billions in revenue come from, or how they pay 72,000+ employees? On the surface it looks like it's mostly ad revenue, but that's because Google can charge advertisers a premium for targeted ads based on all the data they have on us. They also sell personal data though in the aggregate (Apple does not), they reportedly don't sell your data with your name on it - yet.

Privacy becomes a bigger issue all the time, with new surprises/breaches that were thought safeguarded all the time. So we err on the side of caution. YMMV

One of many online https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ver-privacy-yet-again/?utm_term=.febe3cddda83

Last edited:
We are strictly an Android household. Apple products in general don't balance out in my price/value equation. As FUEGO said, the Google integration is very useful. I use Google Now, Google Photos, Google Maps, Calendar, and many others. I like the open environment to customize things however I want. The Android app ecosystem is huge and growing fast, with tons of free options.

Almost all our family own Android phones, so it makes certain things easier, like chatting/texting with Hangouts. Also, I've noticed that "group texting" and sometimes MMS (picture text) don't work well when you cross platforms (iOS/Android). For whatever reason, the family loves to "group text" (often with photos) and the one family member with an iPhone causes problems.

OTOH, getting targeted ads seem better than random ads, given that you're going to get ads either way. It is a bit eerie how much they seem to know, though.

OTOH, getting targeted ads seem better than random ads, given that you're going to get ads either way. It is a bit eerie how much they seem to know, though.
Like for instance, they know you like berries from those robo image scanners. ;)

I have seen estimated Android market share numbers from 65% to 85%. In selecting tech for practical use it is usually wise to go with the market share leader due to network effect. In selecting tech for playtoys, anything goes.

DW and I have had Nexus phones since the Nexus One. I usually buy them used, one generation behind the current offering. They run pure Android without goofy proprietary bloatware and updates are available quickly/direct from Google/no middleman delay.

Presently we have one Nexus 5X bought new via Project Fi for $250 and one LNIB refurb 5X bought on CraigsList for $175.

If you travel internationally or you are a very light data user, take a look at Project Fi.

...We had Android and switched to iOS due to privacy concerns. Google and Apple both use your personal information for good and you're not 100% safe anywhere these days. But Google data mines and monetizes your personal information like no one else, and more and more so with each passing year (mining users emails lately). Android is popular because people think all those wonderful Google apps and services are "free." Where do people think their billions in revenue come from, or how they pay 72,000+ employees? On the surface it looks like it's mostly ad revenue, but that's because Google can charge advertisers a premium for targeted ads based on all the data they have on us. They also sell personal data though in the aggregate (Apple does not), they reportedly don't sell your data with your name on it - yet...

I am somewhat concerned about this. But honestly, for me, the usefulness of the tight integration outweighs the privacy concerns at this point. I've been "all in" with Google for around 5 years now. The capabilities get better and better, and I've yet to see anything bad result from the privacy aspect. Is there something inherently evil about targeted ads? (...which I don't even see due to ad blockers) I think no matter what ecosystem you get sucked into (Microsoft, Apple, Google, even Facebook), there is a privacy "price" to be paid. I just think Google delivers more useful capability on my end of the deal.

I have had both. However, for the last five or six years we have been an Iphone/Ipad family. I have had an Amazon Fire, and an off brand Android tablet.

Most of the apps one would use are available on both.

In general there are more accessories, think cases and such for Iphones. This makes since as there are so many different size Android phones. At least for the most part the connectors are standard

I believe, although no proof, that the Iphone App store is safer the the Play Store. As I said no proof, but from what I have read it is harder to get programs onto the Iphone eco system.

When an operating system update occurs there is no waiting for you carrier to get a version with Iphone. Not so with most Androids. Often you have to wait for your manufacture to update, think Sony or Samsung, and then AT&T or Verizon to get the update. I waited almost two years for my first Samsung to update. Admittedly that was back at Cupcake or Eclair! It was still frustrating and was the reason I switched.

For us the link between Ipad and Iphone is almost seamless. I would not mix eco systems.

Another 'feeling' not 'proof' is my believe that the Apple eco system is easier to program for because Apple has control of both hardware and operating system. It use to be that developers wrote for Apple first then Android. I am not sure this is still true.

I have no way to judge which is the best 'Phone', and after all that is or was it first use.

I don't like Apples pricing structure, but the new Samsung's don't seem to be just as expensive. You can, however get cheaper Android phones.

Iphone is a little harder to Jailbreak, or was. That's another reason I switched. It was harder for me to play with it, and I would be less likely to break it! My fault BAD!

For us, we will stick with the Iphone eco system. Neither DW or I need a new phone. I am thinking of switching from my Ipad Mini to an Ipad, however.

Me Iphone 6s, Ipad Mini. DW Iphone 5s, Ipad Air (I think)

We still have two Iphone 4s's I keep them charged and use them like Ipods. Keep one in the car as an emergency phone. Neither have phone service on them.

EDIT Added: This seems a little like the Microsoft vs Apple of years past. Both having ardent followers! On this I came down on the Microsoft side.

Last edited:
For now I have an old tracfone, but if I were to move to a more advanced phone it would be an iPhone 6S because that's what DW has and I am not interested in having to learn a new OS.

We are a Windows/Gmail household so we went Android and I love it.... integration of email, calendar and contacts are very good... I see the same thing whether I am on my laptop, tablet or smartphone and if I make a change then I can see the update from any of the other devices. We got a good, fast, functional Android phone for $100-150 and a unlimited talk/text and 1GB data plan for $30/month each.

We used to me a Mac only household but changed many years ago... dear uncle has a Mac and I help him with things occasionally and hardly know how to use the Mac now.

When an operating system update occurs there is no waiting for you carrier to get a version with Iphone. Not so with most Androids. ...

Another 'feeling' not 'proof' is my believe that the Apple eco system is easier to program for because Apple has control of both hardware and operating system....

I don't like Apples pricing structure, but the new Samsung's don't seem to be just as expensive. You can, however get cheaper Android phones.

These are valid observations. I had the same concerns, got around them with a very nice pixel and Project Fi. BUT, @$800 for the phone, I can't really play the "Apple is too pricey" card anymore. :LOL:

If I went with Android I'd only use Google. They are the OS guys and update the fastest. So more secure. By getting a Google phone directly from Google, one has an unlocked phone (can move between carriers). Same as Apple Iphone from Apple in this respect I think.

We have Google phones, Nexus 5 and Nexus 6P. Google was definitely behind Apple with their phone software when Nexus 5 rolled out but has now closed the gap I think (though I don't have Iphone experience). Reviews are best for this.

I just recently bought an Ipad and it is nice but only got it because the price was competitive. I'm not having to do too much to get my Windows 10 desktop, Google phone, and Ipad to play together.

Last edited:
I have had both and I like android myself. There seems to be more creativity on the Android side these days.

I tried android years ago and hated it. Moved to Apple iPhone, iPad, MacBook and love them all. Last longer, so price is made up for in longevity.

When I went to smart phone, I went to Android. 1st: I don't like the Apple crowd. In general they looked down on those who don't have Apple products. Not really, but it seemed to me at the time. 2nd: The one app that I wanted to run was only written for Android. So that pretty much made my decision for me. 3rd: DW is a techno-phobe so she is on Android too so that I can provide some level of support. After all these years on PC's and Android phones, I am lost on Apple products.

There is a lot to be said for those embedded with Apple products to stay with Apple products. That being said, there are some minor differences. If you plan on video communicating with Apple people exclusively (my DGD, 10 yrs old), there is probably no way to get them to use something different than Facetime. If they are already into it, that is the only app they will want to use. There is no Android app that works with FaceTime. 2nd, with Apple to Apple texts, Group texts are handled by SMS. In Android, they are MMS and use data. Performance as a phone, or Web browser or other Apps, I think they are both very capable of performing their duty.

Back
Top Bottom