Anyone Use 4GCommunity for cheap internet?

Just saw this thread, We have a laptop that used wifi, we have a wifi tablet, What do I need to do to get this ? Do I need a 4g type cell phone? Or do they mail us that Franklin box and we plug it in?

Last edited:
You can call them to find out. I've heard they are very helpful. Once you find out the hotspot choices, you might want to look up reviews before signing up.

Well, after REWahoo's write up I decided to give it a try, I'm on day one and like it so far. I live in a rural area and my Internet options are limited, I currently use COX Cable Internet, lowest cost plan is 5M/1M for $40/mo. My download/upload speeds (11M/7M) aren't as good as REWahoo but still better than what I have and so far seems consistent.

It has gotten me thinking on what would be the easiest/cheapest way to get back up and running if the R850 fails. With my current setup I can run to a local store and get a new modem or router the same day if needed, fairly easy to swap out. I doubt finding a R850 locally would be as easy. Seems like the Franklin R850 hotspot is somewhat like a phone in that it comes with a installed SIM card. I'm assuming if the R850 fails I could replace it with another R850 and just install the existing SIM card. I've seen a refurb R850 on Amazon for $35, might get one as a spare to have around when needed. Does this sound reasonable or am I missing something?

Hmmmm.... the 4GCOMMUNITY.org web site had been indicating "coming soon" for several weeks. I'm looking into alternatives and I'd like to give them a try.

Any issues from current users? Is existing equipment still working? Other cimments?

They are offering e-mail communication to those posting on their FB page.

I bought it based on previous reviewed and check my area (Pompano Beach, FL) to find out the coverage. It was suppose to be excellent but it's has been the worst ISP I had used. At times I think I had less issues with dialup from 30+ years ago. It's deceiving when it claims speed of 6-8mbps but it was averaging 2-4 over 1 month ago and speedtest showed it goes up to 4-6 occasionally and then down to almost zero a few times during the test which is what cause the horrible freezes and apps to shutdown. Now my speedtests average 0.88-1.2 mbps. It is fine for emails and general websurfing but horrible for streaming anything. Calling and emailing support resulted in "canned" answers that I already tried. No help or contact after 4 emails and getting worse. I can't believe the reviews were so good which makes me wonder if those reviewers were given free or discounted service like the Amazon reviewers.

I bought it based on previous reviewed and check my area (Pompano Beach, FL) to find out the coverage. It was suppose to be excellent but it's has been the worst ISP I had used. At times I think I had less issues with dialup from 30+ years ago. It's deceiving when it claims speed of 6-8mbps but it was averaging 2-4 over 1 month ago and speedtest showed it goes up to 4-6 occasionally and then down to almost zero a few times during the test which is what cause the horrible freezes and apps to shutdown. Now my speedtests average 0.88-1.2 mbps. It is fine for emails and general websurfing but horrible for streaming anything. Calling and emailing support resulted in "canned" answers that I already tried. No help or contact after 4 emails and getting worse. I can't believe the reviews were so good which makes me wonder if those reviewers were given free or discounted service like the Amazon reviewers.

If you weren't happy with the service why didn't you return it for a refund during the one-week trial period?

I've been using the service for several months both at home and on the road in our RV, and have found the speed is highly location specific. I get 30 to 40 Mbps speeds at home (less than two miles from a Sprint tower) and highly variable speeds on the road.

And FWIW, I took the kickback 4GC paid me for giving them a good review and used it to retire a year earlier than planned. :D

Last edited:
I've been using it for a little over two months now and very pleased with the service. For the best downloads you have to do some testing to find the location in your house where the hotspot gets the strongest signal so it may not be at a preferred location like where you had your cable modem/router. I did buy a repeater to get a strong wifi signal through out the house and it also allows me to connect devices to the network using CAT5 cable.

Vaca, are you sure that you want to accuse some very long standing members of being paid shills (i.e. liars):confused:

I've had no issues with the service to date, but the fact 4GC website has taken an extended sabbatical is troubling.

I'm going to watch this for a while and see if their site is back up and running. When I first inputted my address a few months ago it only came back with 'fair' coverage so that turned me off. But now it shows 'best' at my MS location and at my condo on the coast. Could be a great solution for me. I'm currently on a Comcast promo here at $15/mo which runs out next Spring. So I have time to monitor how well it works for others.....

I've been using it for a little over two months now and very pleased with the service.

Same here. We're out in the country, so a cellular hotspot is about our only option for broadband. We had been working off another cellular source, but data overage charges could get eye-wateringly high; for that reason we also used a low-speed point-to-point wireless service for things like email and software updates. Combined, we were paying almost $100 per month for Internet service.

Our nearest Sprint tower is about 4 miles away but is in the line of sight, so our service has been very acceptable. The speed test I just ran registered nearly 8.8 mbps download.

I've found this thread to be one of the most valuable on this forum. Kudos to the OP for bringing it up.

It's Sprint coverage.

You're either in a good area...or not.

I bought the older unit before the newer (supposedly faster) ones became available 6 months later, then bought that one as well.

But the newer unit with the more expensive plan isn't much faster in my area, so I must not have whatever extra band is needed.

Still, it's cheap compared to any fixed wireless and even cheaper than my old WiMax (Clear on Sprint) service.

See below. This was posted on 4gCommunity's FB page this morning. Reading between the lines, this may or may not be an option for internet service going forward.

Important Community Store News: Hello everyone and thank you for your continued interest in joining us. It means the world. As you are aware, the Community Store has been closed since mid-August as we've taken steps to improve our systems and support capabilities. We are almost done with that. However, because of the recent increased pace of industry merger discussions between T-Mobile and Sprint, and other negotiations we are having regarding our work, we will not be able to open the Community Store again and accept new members until we have greater clarity on how these matters will unfold.

I got an email from them this morning saying my service would end by the end of November "due to circumstances beyond our control."

Nice while it lasted...

I got an email from them this morning saying my service would end by the end of November "due to circumstances beyond our control."

Nice while it lasted...
Bummer. Wonder what "beyond control" circumstances caused this.

Nice while it lasted...

Oh darn! I had high hopes for this. Guess I'm glad I didn't sign up. Are they offering any refunds for unused service?

Our 4gCommunity service shut down yesterday. I wish it had lasted longer, but I feel like we got our money's worth.

Apparently there's another 4g nonprofit out there, the Calyx Institute, but they want $500/yr for unlimited 4g service. That's a little rich for me in light of the unceremonious end to 4GCommunity.

We can get 30 gigs at 4g from regional cellular provider US Cellular for $90/month ... not a terrible deal, considering our limited options. And, they have an office nearby where I can complain if I'm unhappy.

Yep, my 4G Community hot spot expired yesterday, too. Nice while it lasted - slightly over six months for me and my average cost was $44/mo.

I agree the Calyx option is too expensive to gamble on after the 4G Community experience.

In anticipation of the 4G shut down I signed up with my old unlimited but unreliable WISP again on 12/1. Yesterday they had a system-wide outage from 10 AM to 6 PM. :nonono:

Sigh...

Would this work for anyone? Karma-Go - uses the Sprint network. Data not exactly cheap, but good for 3 months, no other monthly fee.

https://yourkarma.com/wifi/christmaskarmago/

5GB Package
$49.99

10GB Package
$79.99

20GB Package
$149.99

This was mentioned back in post #2, but that was long ago.

-ERD50

Yep, my 4G Community hot spot expired yesterday, too. Nice while it lasted - slightly over six months for me and my average cost was $44/mo.

I agree the Calyx option is too expensive to gamble on after the 4G Community experience.

In anticipation of the 4G shut down I signed up with my old unlimited but unreliable WISP again on 12/1. Yesterday they had a system-wide outage from 10 AM to 6 PM. :nonono:

Sigh...

We have one of them in the area too ... they're pretty steady but can deliver only 300k baud because we're not in the line of sight of their transmitter/receiver. We used them for years, but 300k just can't cut it anymore.

We have one of them in the area too ... they're pretty steady but can deliver only 300k baud because we're not in the line of sight of their transmitter/receiver. We used them for years, but 300k just can't cut it anymore.

Wow, and I thought my WISP was wimpy!

During the six months I was using the 4G hot spot they put up another tower in our area which now allows me to get get up to 10 Mbps speeds. That's an increas from the 3 Mbps I had before - and of course you have to be online at 3AM to see those numbers. In the evening when everyone else in the area is online, that 10 Mbps number drops to around 2 Mbps.

As slow as it is, at least it isn't 300k baud, so I'll stop complaining about speed and just complain about reliability. :D

Back
Top Bottom