Best way to have people upload videos to central repository?

trirod

Recycles dryer sheets
My siblings and I are putting together a video of friends and family members wishing my dad a happy 80th birthday (since we can’t have a real, in person party for him right now, of course). What I am looking for is a link I can provide to everybody to upload their videos so then we can download them and edit them into a coherent mini-movie. I know there are a lot of file storage sites out there, but wondering if anybody had insight into ones that would work particularly well for this kind of thing?

It’s best if the upload side is very user friendly since I’m not sure how tech savvy all of the friends are. I think most have smartphones so if they can take a video then just hit a button to share to this central repository in the cloud, that would be perfect.

I have Apple, Google and Amazon accounts so those might work well if uploads to their various cloud products are available to anybody, whether or not they have such an account?

Thanks!

Create a YouTube account

+1

Or if you all have iPhones or iPads, you can text message video files to each other. Not sure if you can text video files to a non apple user.

I suppose Dropbox would work. 1 account and grant read/write rights to family/friends.

Then someone has to stitch them together to make a single video.

Last edited:
IIRC Youtube stopped allowing collaborative uploads and onsite editing. So, even if you shared your credentials, you would need to download the videos to edit. It would probably be easier to send them a link to a Google Drive, One Drive, or Dropbox to upload their videos. A Youtube channel is a good way to make the final product readily available to anyone.

Use your google drive. I use Google drives to send large files all the time. You get 15 GB for free.

https://vidhug.com/

A family member used this site recently for a family birthday. I don’t know if you can edit the videos, but otherwise I think it does what you described. I believe my cousin said there is a small fee if more than 3 people submit videos. That’s probably so that one can test drive the service before using it for your event.

Back
Top Bottom