Breaking Point Reached: Bye Bye to Windows

And now, I like the Mac so much that I'm going to buy a laptop, too (12" Macbook).

We really enjoy our 12” MacBook we use when traveling. So light and thin. The keyboard action is a bit strange as the the keys don’t press down very much.

I guess I am paranoid but I do not travel with my expensive electronics. I take a $50 Amazon fire tablet and if I need something bigger for some documents a $300 Chrome book.

I love my MacBook Pro, but I don't take it traveling anymore. I can do 95% of everything on my iPad and probably close to 90% of everything on my iPhone, so the pad and the phone are my travel gadgets.

Just got back from a 30 day overseas trip with just the pad and phone, and got by just fine.

I guess I am paranoid but I do not travel with my expensive electronics. I take a $50 Amazon fire tablet and if I need something bigger for some documents a $300 Chrome book.

That laptop I bring when traveling is only a used one, equipped to remotely connect to my home desktop. I'd be too paranoid carrying one along with where all my data actually resides.

I love my MacBook Pro, but I don't take it traveling anymore. I can do 95% of everything on my iPad and probably close to 90% of everything on my iPhone, so the pad and the phone are my travel gadgets.

Just got back from a 30 day overseas trip with just the pad and phone, and got by just fine.

I've traveled just with iPad, which is fine for surfing and playing movies and TV shows.

But I just returned from a 2-3 week trip in Switzerland and shot about 70 GB worth of photos.

I backed up the photos to my MacBook Pro and an external HDD.

On a previous trip, I forgot my MBP and bought a camera adapter for my iPad to transfer images. Painful and slow and my camera wouldn't be available for about an hour while it transferred say 200 RAW images, each about 25 MB each.

It would certainly be nice to save weight by not carrying it but while I'm able to schlep it around, I will.

As for data security, I remove any sensitive info from it, since my main computer is iMac at home.

Though I should probably just lock it away in my luggage, at least keep it out of sight.

I'm not a Mac person. I could never get used to it. I am not a Windows 10 person either though. (A laptop that's been upgraded to Windows 10 is sitting on my basement desk unused.) I'm still using the only Windows 7 laptop I have left and I like it best. It's a Fujitsu laptop. I also use my touchscreen Chromebook for browsing etc, instead of my iPad at this point.

I'm not a Mac person. I could never get used to it. I am not a Windows 10 person either though. (A laptop that's been upgraded to Windows 10 is sitting on my basement desk unused.) I'm still using the only Windows 7 laptop I have left and I like it best. It's a Fujitsu laptop. I also use my touchscreen Chromebook for browsing etc, instead of my iPad at this point.

I think that Windows 7 was the last popular OS. A lot of people do not like Windows 10. I don't know much to comment about Windows 10 myself

I think that Windows 7 was the last popular OS. A lot of people do not like Windows 10. I don't know much to comment about Windows 10 myself

After having to add about 5 different things (block out them tiles, as one example) to compensate where I felt Win 10 was confusing or inadequate, Win 10 is workable for me now. My favorite Win system as of look and feel is Win XP.

Last edited:
I feel bad (not "badly") about planning to buy a Macbook, because I really don't need it. I rarely travel, and usually don't write or do anything at Starbucks that I need a computer for.

So, I'm just buying it for fun--maybe I'll write offsite a little more if I have a light laptop. #blowthatmoney

I would never need it for anything other than writing, so the lowest model is fine. Wait for the new models to come out? Hmm.

If you really want to save, I would look at the refurbished store on Apple.com.

The items look immaculate but the models are a year or two old.

Doesn't Apple cut the price of the old models once the new models are announced? Even #blowthatmoney folks should appreciate a bargain. :)

Look at their "refurb" page. Rumor has it, and I think it is true, that Apple doesn't like to put things "on sale" as they feel it cheapens the brand. So they get rid of excess/old inventory through their refurb page.

Even if you get a refurb, it is full quality and full warranty. I've purchased several that way and never regretted it. But I'd be careful with an old model - if the hardware is significantly different architecture, Apple has dropped support earlier than I might like for some older models with older hardware. But if the new model is pretty much "newer/faster/smaller/lighter" than last years model, probably not an issue.

-ERD50

Yes, I'll absolutely buy a refurb ($1099 instead of $1299). I'm pretty sure those are the same models as the new ones.

I'm also thinking that if a new Macbook came out tomorrow, it would be a while before any appeared as refurbs--a good reason not to wait.

Not necessarily. When they introduce new models, the existing models are often reduced in price immediately.

I wouldn’t wait for new models to come out. Mine is several years old and is everything I (or a writer) needs. IIRC, the new ones do not have USB ports? That could be a problem.

I spent most of my work life on PC's and home life on Mac's. Now I own one PC to update a datacard I need. I use a 2011 17" macbook pro (with a SSD and more memory) and my wife has a 2015 Macbook hooked up to a huge monitor.

I still do quite a bit of work with PC's - and it's all fixing problems for my friends and relatives PC's. The Mac's just "work" and turn on within seconds. (The PC I have to keep for the datacard takes 12 minutes just to turn on!).

Between apple tv, 2 iphones, 2 ipad's, my two mac's and a time capsule that auto saves everything we have a trouble free apple world. I'm always amazed at how our family and friends say they would hate being constrained by apple and how expensive it is, yet all their equipment is always failing.

One good anecdote to illustrate this involves an HP wireless printer.

The HP computer running windows has 17 steps for communicating with the printer - and for a documented but unsolved problem requiring all steps to be repeated about every 6 weeks.

For my mac to hook up to the same printer, it says something like "I see you have an HP printer, do you want me to connect to it? "yes". Done.

IIRC, the new ones do not have USB ports? That could be a problem.

There are no current (or foreseeable future) Macs w/o USB ports.

The newer ones are switching over to USB C ports rather than the older (and ubiquitous) USB A ports.

Worse case you use an adapter.

The newer ones are switching over to USB C ports rather than the older (and ubiquitous) USB A ports.

Or, buy a cheap Windows 10 machine like mine that comes with USB C and USB A 2.0 and 3.0, with power off charging capability on one. I think that having at least one USB C port is becoming standard now although I still find the USB A to be the most useful for my peripherals.

Over the course of my business (small business) I have used Mac's since 1986. Purchased desktops and laptops now have a 27" desk top I purchased in 2010. I have had this computer longer than any other. Upgraded ram to 16 and have never had a problem. I would like a new computer, but I hate the learning curve. I'll most likely hire someone to set it up for me, transfer everything and teach me how to stream, etc.

I spent most of my work life on PC's and home life on Mac's. Now I own one PC to update a datacard I need. I use a 2011 17" macbook pro (with a SSD and more memory) and my wife has a 2015 Macbook hooked up to a huge monitor.

I still do quite a bit of work with PC's - and it's all fixing problems for my friends and relatives PC's. The Mac's just "work" and turn on within seconds. (The PC I have to keep for the datacard takes 12 minutes just to turn on!).

Between apple tv, 2 iphones, 2 ipad's, my two mac's and a time capsule that auto saves everything we have a trouble free apple world. I'm always amazed at how our family and friends say they would hate being constrained by apple and how expensive it is, yet all their equipment is always failing.

One good anecdote to illustrate this involves an HP wireless printer.

The HP computer running windows has 17 steps for communicating with the printer - and for a documented but unsolved problem requiring all steps to be repeated about every 6 weeks.

For my mac to hook up to the same printer, it says something like "I see you have an HP printer, do you want me to connect to it? "yes". Done.

Spot on. I'm posting this with my 20" Imac purchased new in April 2008.
Upgraded the RAM from 2 to 6 GB about 3 years ago (120$) & the OS 4 times (40$) that's it.

Still working great!

Thanks - Good to know - I wonder where my brain gathered the no usb info.

Yes the real think MacBooks only come with USB C ports I believe.

Or, buy a cheap Windows 10 machine like mine that comes with USB C and USB A 2.0 and 3.0, with power off charging capability on one. I think that having at least one USB C port is becoming standard now although I still find the USB A to be the most useful for my peripherals.

Yes but you're talking about a thicker and heavier laptop too.

Sure it's great to have all those ports but you trade off size and weight.

Back
Top Bottom