BritBox Veterans--What Should I Watch?

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm going to grab the Black Friday special of BritBox for $1.99 a month for two months. I'm wondering what veteran viewers of BritBox would recommend as "must see" viewing?

A little background. I've long been a fan of British TV, going back to when I was a kid and watched Monty Python, continuing on through Dr. Who, Fawlty Towers, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Only Fools and Horses, etc. Basically I have a good working knowledge of 80's Brit TV as it appeared on American TV.

Recently I have seen all of Dr. Who, three seasons of Line of Duty, both seasons of The Capture, Good Omens, The Bodyguard, some Unforgotten, some episodes of the Detectorists, a couple seasons of Endeavour, The Outlaws, Spy, etc.

Though the BBC excels at them I don't care too much for historical dramas, but I am open to suggestions. I don't care for fantasies--dragons, magic, swords and sandals.

I do like Sci-Fi, comedy, and yes, crime and police procedurals, which apparently the BBC and ITV are compelled to produce.

In order to cram in as much quality content in my 60 trial period, please tell me which shows I should watch and perhaps a sentence or two as to why.

If you like comedy check out Benidorm, for me it was laugh out loud and being British, I knew people like that. 10 seasons, short episodes.

Set in the Solana all-inclusive Resort, Benidorm follows the antics of regulars and first-time holiday makers on their journeys abroad.

It's overwhelmingly murders, as you'll see reflected in my list.

Police procedurals:
Shetland
Vera
Silent Witness
The Bay
Hope Street
Scott & Bailey (kinda soap opera-y on top of the crime stuff)

Lighter "cozy" mysteries:
Death in Paradise
Father Brown
Murder in Provence
McDonald & Dobbs
The Last Detective (detective comedy, a little old but I like Peter Davison)

DW likes these cozies; they might be more liked by the ladies but I've generally enjoyed them as well:
Rosemary & Thyme
Shakespeare and Hathaway

We don't watch many of the comedies. Some are quite old; some are dreadful IMO. YMMV of course.

OH, and there's the classic All Creatures Great and Small from the '80s, which we really like.

Another Benny Hill fan here, but as far as I know there are no streaming options in the US.

It's overwhelmingly murders, as you'll see reflected in my list.

Police procedurals:
Shetland
Vera
Silent Witness
The Bay
Hope Street
Scott & Bailey (kinda soap opera-y on top of the crime stuff)

Lighter "cozy" mysteries:
Death in Paradise
Father Brown
Murder in Provence
McDonald & Dobbs
The Last Detective (detective comedy, a little old but I like Peter Davison)

DW likes these cozies; they might be more liked by the ladies but I've generally enjoyed them as well:
Rosemary & Thyme
Shakespeare and Hathaway

We don't watch many of the comedies. Some are quite old; some are dreadful IMO. YMMV of course.

OH, and there's the classic All Creatures Great and Small from the '80s, which we really like.
As a big Britbox fan and especially crime and police series I second this list pretty much in the order listed .:)

As a big Britbox fan and especially crime and police series I second this list pretty much in the order listed .:)

I 3rd this list.
Shetland is my absolute favorite followed closely by Vera.
I also enjoyed McDonald and Dobbs that was mentioned up thread.

Also I think The Split is on BritBox.
It’s not a police/mystery show like I usually watch so I almost passed on it but I’m glad I didn’t.

Thanks!

I’m watching some of those shows on PBS now, but I might be willing to watch some others.

The main problem is that I have too much to watch already!! :facepalm:

Doc Martin (Martin Clunes) is good as well if you haven't seen it already.

Is there a dyspeptic doctor in the house? Successful surgeon Dr. Martin Ellingham abruptly leaves his London practice to become general practitioner in the sleepy fishing village of Portwenn, where he spent the holidays during his youth. But his luxury car and lavish wardrobe immediately rub the locals the wrong way, and once they get a load of his abrasive attitude and lack of bedside manner, he quickly alienates most of the townsfolk.

Last edited:
Is Doc Martin a filed in Cornwall? Was just wondering about the scenery.

Answer is yes, it’s filmed at Port Isaac on the north Cornish coast.

Doc Martin is filmed in Port Isaac, Cornwall. On Acorn, not Britbox.

When I made my list (which I hope others will add to), it was hard to keep my Acorn shows separate from my BB shows.

Darn it, I was hoping to watch the last couple of seasons with my 2 month Britbox deal. The earlier seasons are available for free on Pluto and others.

Last edited:
Yep. There's suddenly a glut of $1.00/mo for two months deals. Would be nice if they were spread out over the year rather than all crammed into Dec and Jan.
I had already loaded up on some seriously discounted annual subscriptions before this glut of 2 month promos arrived.

Plus there is so much great programming on PBS Passport I’m waaaay behind.

New Tricks (older Brit detective series, several seasons)
Why Didn't They Ask Evans? (3 episode mystery series)
Death in Paradise (Brit crime series, light and humorous)
Karen Pirie (3 episode detective series)

I also second the recommendations in post 3.

Last edited:
New Tricks (sorry to see this one ending !!!!)
Shakespeare and Hathaway
McDonald and Dobbs

I have seen New Tricks, which I liked a lot. Looks like Shetland will be my first view. I will also try Doc Martin.

I have seen New Tricks, which I liked a lot. Looks like Shetland will be my first view. I will also try Doc Martin.

Doc Martin is very funny, but it’s on Acorn, not BritBox. We saw the first 6 or so seasons of Doc Martin and will use the Roku 2 month subscription offer to finish watching the series.

Back
Top Bottom