Build new computer or buy?

I'd be more inclined to buy a laptop.

I haven't built a desktop machine in about 10 years. The reason for the building my own machines was to customize them for gaming. As I started to game less, I've transitioned to workstation style laptops which provide enough horsepower for the analytics type stuff and a keeping a zillon browsers open (I do that too) but with the added benefit of portability.

If you need dual screen, you can add a docking station/port replicator for quick connections at your normal desk. The only complaint is that you typically have to spend a $150 for a new battery every couple of years.
+1

I haven't had a desktop computer in maybe 25 years. Always laptops or tablets with docks at home, at our lake place, and at work. I have full-size monitors, full-size keyboards, and full-size mice so it's just like using a desktop. But I can pick up the computer and go, knowing that all my "stuff" is with me. For example, on days when I do my SCORE mentoring I take my MS Surface Pro 3, with its chicklet keyboard and arc mouse, to the office and use it for client scheduling and notes review. My computer also comes with me and is plugged into a projector when I'm teaching my Adult-Ed investment class or making some other kind of presentation. It's a huge improvement over the bad old days when laptops weight 5-10#, but even then the convenience of portability was worth it to me.

Re dual monitors, that is easy to set up though I have no need for them.

Back
Top Bottom