Cables!

When will all the spaghetti mess be replaced by wireless signals; do we need to wait 25 more years for that to happen?

Using Velcro-style cable wraps helps keep things a little organized. Unused cables stay bundled and unnecessarily long cables can be somewhat tamed. I just ordered another 50. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FLKNJ8S
Oh, this reminds me! Those cables for travel I mentioned? I put each in its own small ziplock baggie, with the air squeezed out, then put all the small baggies in a gallon baggie. Instant (and cheap) travel kit that will never get your cables tangled! I also put the adapters all in their own small baggie, and since they're see-through, it's easy to find everything.

However, the velcro wraps could still be useful, I'll have to look into those!

Last edited:
When will all the spaghetti mess be replaced by wireless signals; do we need to wait 25 more years for that to happen?
If it does take that long, I won't be here to see it happen...

Last edited:
The era of signal through wires is over. It's power that needs a solution. I'm waiting for an energy density revolution so your device has a lifetime of the energy it needs when you buy it. Of course that's a problem in that thw bad guys will figure out a way to release all that energy at once. But we can cross that bridge later. Of course if this comes true, fewer cables will be the least interesting advancement.

Jeez, you younguns. My drawer has a few SCSI cables and DB9's mixed in with all the others.

I thought someone might chime in and show us their Bus+Tag (IBM) or 10BASE5 (ancient Ethernet) cables. :cool:

Exactly! I am pleased at how few cable formats there are these days. The "U" in USB seems pretty good to me!

(I could dig up a Centronics connector if you need it. And I remember being so pleased when FireWire came out! )

I just threw out some RCA to RCA pairs...I’ll never need them again but I remember when I had dozens in use for stereo components, TVs, some computer peripherals, etc.

32-34.jpg

Last edited:
In addition to all the cables that most of you have, I also have boxes of cables for musical instruments and for the 2 PA's that my band uses. A couple months ago I sorted and carefully wrapped all my cables related to music. It filled up 8 milk crates. :LOL:

By the way, those Velcro cable ties that someone posted are great. I especially love the multi coloured packs for my musical cables as it allows me to colour code them...instrument cables red, PA cables blue, power cables black, etc.

Not to change the subject, but my NEW Moto G Power Android cell phone has a battery that lasts 3 days. And it does.....and I have not seen remaining battery life below 25% after the third day, and I use the phone all day long. Uses standard charger and USB C cable.

I'm not watching movies or videos on it though.

DW has Apple gear and all the different cables. :(

And I remember being so pleased when FireWire came out! )

DW is transferring home movies to digital. Her old camera (digital 8) outputs to FireWire. I ended up getting it to work by installing a pcie FireWire card in her computer. It ain’t working 100% due to the oldness of the technology, but the movies are transferring. We just can’t get it to be able to view the video while capturing. So we have to capture the entire tape instead of editing on the fly. No big deal but DW keeps messing with it to find a solution. I gave up once the transfer process was working at any level.

I just threw out some RCA to RCA pairs...I’ll never need them again but I remember when I had dozens in use for stereo components, TVs, some computer peripherals, etc.

I keep a few RCA phono cables around, as I still use them occasionally. I'm using one now to connect my subwoofer to my stereo receiver. I also use them when I need to hookup an old VCR to digitize an old VHS tape or something.

However, I did throw out my old RS232 cables, parallel printer cables, and firewire cables for my old camcorders.

I try to keep a few of the most common cables on hand, but most unique cables can still be ordered on Amazon or from other sources.

Oh, this reminds me! Those cables for travel I mentioned? I put each in its own small ziplock baggie, with the air squeezed out, then put all the small baggies in a gallon baggie. Instant (and cheap) travel kit that will never get your cables tangled! I also put the adapters all in their own small baggie, and since they're see-through, it's easy to find everything.

However, the velcro wraps could still be useful, I'll have to look into those!

+1
I started doing that as well, I keep the charger and cable together in a zip lock , or a similar small cloth bag with a zipper on it.
It makes travel so easy, rather than pulling on a wire under the clothes, only to find its the wrong type.

Same here, just used an RCA cable to optical adapter to connect a new tv to my Bose Lifestyle 20 in my motorhome. Much cheaper and easier than replacing the Bose with a new one that has HDMI or optical input. The Bose still has great sound.

Wandered around the estate on Sunday looking for an old switch that I had in my hands about a month ago. Eventually I found it in a recycle box I had looked through earlier. It was under a rat's nest of cables.

This thread reminds me of a Marc Maron comedy bit about wires. That is his name for what we are calling cables in this thread. Easy to find on youtube.

Back
Top Bottom