General Questions about Electricity

I used 386 kW this past month ending last week which came out to 13.5 cents. Total bill including taxes was $60. This was $10 lower than last year despite a 10% rate increase. My new metal roof is supposed to help lower this cost, but I also bought a small window AC unit for bedroom and shut off house AC at night. I love my bedroom in the mid 60s for good sleeping. Now I sleep great and don't have to cool entire house to get to this level. Come next month I should see even more savings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To OP. If you are retired, you should go back to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Look at his screenname. My guess is that imoldernu (I am older than you) is about 80 yrs old.

I am 20 years younger, and I am not going back to work, let alone an 80-yr old.

Yes, however, those questions display a curiosity of a young engineer.

imoldernu is not an engineer, hence he asked for help.

Intellectual curiosity keeps one young. ;)

Last edited:
imoldernu was around when families huddled around the vacuum tube radio during winter for warmth.

Eh, I am not that old, and I grew up with vacuum tubes.

Even in 1975, we had a VW with a tube radio. I had some problems finding the vibrator for its inverter.

I am sure imoldernu remembers the inverter vibrator, but youngsters would not know what I am talking about:cool:, so here's a short history.

Some car radios in the 60s still had vacuum tubes. And vacuum tubes need a high voltage of at least 100V, while cars then had a 6V battery, not even 12V. An inverter was needed to step up the voltage, but if transistors were not available or too expensive for the radio, then high-current transistors for the inverter circuit would be just a dream.

Entered the vibrator. It's basically a vibrating mass, toggling a mechanical switch at 60Hz to drive a transformer with a square wave. The transformer steps up the voltage, which is then rectified to create the high voltage for the vacuum tubes.

See photos linked from archive.siliconchip.com.au.

108930_7lo.jpg

108930_11mg.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, I remember the inverter/vibrator. When dad bought a new 63 Chevy I 'inherited' the old family car - a 56 Belaire. It had no radio (dad was very frugal) so I had to find one at a local salvage yard. The inverter didn't work unless I hit the dash with my fist and I had to spring for a new one.

One of my fondest memories is the hum of that radio (inverter) parked out on lover's lane... :D

I'm sorry to say I don't recall the inverter for car radios... though I use one on my golf cart, for christmas lights, and toys like a PA system, and plug in gizmos... The vibrator looks interesting... Would make a big hit on those late, late night TV commercials. :cool:

My aunt Yvonne had a 39 Chrysler with a 78RPM record player built in where the glove compartment used to be. The needle didn't bounce around as much as the ones on the later LP's.

My personal radio was a Bettatone (below)... tuned with a cats whisker. My steam radiator as a ground, and the metal bedspring as an antenna.

Need confirmation for this, but interesting it it's true.
Since I have so many low voltage charger/power supplies, it's quite interesting to note that between Voltage, Amps, and the size/shape of the connector... very few of these are duplicates. Voltage ranges ... 2, 2.5, 3.2, 3.5, 4.5, 5.0, 6.0 7.2, 9.0 12.0, and several printer and laptop power supplies of varying higher voltages. The connectors are very different... outside diameters may have 3 different size inside diameters, and between specialty connectors as in
different phones, and the four major different USB connectors (maybe more)...
..finding a replacement for a missing power supply often drives people to the $15.00 original replacement... Thus my buying them at resale for a quarter or less.

Discovery... that needs confirmation. I can usually match voltage and connector from my stash, but have been nervous about the differing amperages shown. in trying to find out if varying amperages would cause "burn out" problems, or "insufficient power"... I came across a battery information site that said... the amperage had to be at least equal to the original equipment, but if it was higher, no harm would be done to the battery or appliance, as long as the voltage was correct.
I have replaced a powersupply rated @ 6V .7Amp with one rated @6V 2amp... so far with no ill effects.
Would like confirmation of that... ?? anyone?

One more... about that Hair dryer in the bathroom that electrocutes all of those bathtub victims on TV... I assume the the GFI would save a life... but... if no GFI... would the 15 amp fuse blow? DW refuses to let me test the theory.:nonono:

Attachments

• bettatone.jpg
    bettatone.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I have replaced a powersupply rated @ 6V .7Amp with one rated @6V 2amp... so far with no ill effects.
Would like confirmation of that... ?? anyone?
Yep, no problem

One more... about that Hair dryer in the bathroom that electrocutes all of those bathtub victims on TV... I assume the the GFI would save a life... but... if no GFI... would the 15 amp fuse blow? DW refuses to let me test the theory.:nonono:
No the fuse won't blow before it possibly electrocutes you - thus the GFCI

Now, I wonder if imoldernu is really that old if he does not remember the vibrating inverter! Perhaps he was just unobservant or didn't care when he was younger.

Regarding the other 2 questions, travelover is correct on both.

I'd like to add that amperage rating is like a load rating of a tire. If a tire says it can carry 2 tons, it will be loafing around with a load of 1 ton, just like your 2A adapter is cruising along powering a load of 0.7A. Why, when it is not plugged into anything, it is supplying 0A, and that did not bother it.

I am scratching my head here trying to find an analogy for the voltage output. Generally, plugging in a higher voltage adapter, say 12V, to a device with a lower voltage, say 6V, is 99% guaranteed to generate smoke and general unpleasantness and much unhappiness.

Last edited:
..............I am scratching my head here trying to find an analogy for the voltage output. Generally, plugging in a higher voltage adapter, say 12V, to a device with a lower voltage, say 6V, is 99% guaranteed to generate smoke and general unpleasantness and much unhappiness.
Putting 12 volts to a 6 volt device is kinda like putting 100 PSI into a tire rated for a maximum of 50 PSI. Boom.

Yes! That example will do.

Putting 12 volts to a 6 volt device is kinda like putting 100 PSI into a tire rated for a maximum of 50 PSI. Boom.

Yes! That example will do.

Yep, good analogy.

And for current/amperage, it's kind of like the air tank and hose size in the air compressor. If you want your tire filled to 32 PSI, and the compressor is set to 32 PSI, and the tank is filled to 32 PSI, it doesn't make much difference how big the tank and hose are - you won't get more than 32 PSI in your tires. The larger tank means you could fill more tires, or several tires at the same time. But you can't 'over-fill' a tire just because you have a reserve supply and big hoses. Everything stops at 32 PSI.

-ERD50

How many Model T Drivers? It had the vibrator ignition coil.

Some pranksters would mount them under their later model car, inverted with the high voltage wire hanging below and touching the ground. When some unsuspcting clod leaned on the car, casually hit the switch energizing it and making the car hot relative to ground, and the poor sap receiving a bit of a shock.

Back
Top Bottom