can you still get free win 10

I just has a Windows 10 experience. Trying to upgrade a Dell E6410 laptop. Installed Win 10 and find out this Dell model is not compatible, it boots into a blank screen. It works with an external monitor, but that defeats the purpose of a laptop.

It does run Win 10 in Linux in Virtualbox without a problem. Just be aware some older models may have problems with the Win 10 upgrade.
There are ways to make it work without the external monitor and without using the VirtualBox :cool:

There are ways to make it work without the external monitor and without using the VirtualBox :cool:
The problem is Dell doesn't support this machine for Win 10. I'm sure it could work but needs a software fix for the blank screen.

The problem is Dell doesn't support this machine for Win 10. I'm sure it could work but needs a software fix for the blank screen.

Just a theory, but perhaps a chip on your Dell doesn't work with Win 10. But under Virtualbox you use a more compatible "machine", so that works. I'm going the with the chip theory as that was what happened with my old Dell that worked with Win 7 but then would runs for days okay on Win 10 and crash. I ended up getting a used machine on the cheap at ebay with Win 10 already included.

Just a theory, but perhaps a chip on your Dell doesn't work with Win 10. But under Virtualbox you use a more compatible "machine", so that works. I'm going the with the chip theory as that was what happened with my old Dell that worked with Win 7 but then would runs for days okay on Win 10 and crash. I ended up getting a used machine on the cheap at ebay with Win 10 already included.
Strange thing is the external monitor works but not the laptop screen, so I thing it is a config problem someplace.

Strange thing is the external monitor works but not the laptop screen, so I thing it is a config problem someplace.

Check this Dell forum thread.
https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-10/Dell-Latitude-E6410-Windows-10-Pro/td-p/5071943

The poster named Eliqui had trouble finding a Windows 10 driver for a Latitude E6410. Dell typically supplies the drivers for their laptop hardware. The message has a link to Dell's Intel video driver for Windows 7, which apparently worked. This assumes your laptop uses Intel video, looks like some versions use Nvidia instead/in addition, not sure of your system spec.

Last edited:
Check this Dell forum thread.
https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-10/Dell-Latitude-E6410-Windows-10-Pro/td-p/5071943

The poster named Eliqui had trouble finding a Windows 10 driver for a Latitude E6410. Dell typically supplies the drivers for their laptop hardware. The message has a link to Dell's Intel video driver for Windows 7, which apparently worked. This assumes your laptop uses Intel video, looks like some versions use Nvidia instead/in addition, not sure of your system spec.
That fixed it, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom