Desktop Shutdown

I turn my monitor off at night, but otherwise my computer stays on 24/7/365. Overnight it is usually recording TV shows, controlling lights in our house, running backups, processing videos, etc. My computer probably works harder at night than it does during the day. :)

I'm surprised at all of the folks who leave their computers on (or hibernating) at night. I shutdown mine every evening since I have no desire to use it after 8pm or so. Since it only takes a couple of minutes to start up again in the morning.

I'm surprised at all of the folks who leave their computers on (or hibernating) at night. I shutdown mine every evening since I have no desire to use it after 8pm or so. Since it only takes a couple of minutes to start up again in the morning.

Ouch. I shut down at night and reboot every morning, but the 15 sec boot time with an SSD makes the process much less painful.

I shut down my PC when not in use, but I don’t use it daily, maybe twice a week. My main reason is I can’t get hacked when it’s off so why leave it exposed? OTOH we almost never shutdown our iPhones or iPads as they don’t seem to use much power when ‘asleep.’ And I used to shut off our router when not in use, but haven’t done that in years now that we stream all TV, and we use our iPads throughout the day. We just got a wireless printer which we leave on, but since we don’t print but a couple pages a month, we’ll probably start shutting it off when not printing.

Back
Top Bottom