Does anyone use Roku?

I have a Kodi install on the same TV and it works fine, no sound issues. Swapping their HDMI cables did not solve the problem, still hear Kodi but not Roku...............

Anyone experiencing the same issues and maybe solved it?

I use KODI and android apps on my android TV box.

Agree with others that the fight with Google over You Tube TV seems pointless, the only difference to the user is new customers have to go to the U-Tube channel and then scroll down to select YTTV instead of YTTV being a separate channel. I can see why Roku can't ban YTTV entirely as there would be a class action lawsuit for the millions of people that bought Rokus to get that service. But just making life difficult for new customers doesn't seem like a good plan.

(Reuters) - YouTube and Roku Inc announced on Wednesday a multi-year pact to end a battle that dragged for months over accusations of anti-competitive conduct and threatened to strip the internet's biggest video streaming service from tens of millions of TV devices.

"Roku and Google have agreed to a multi-year extension for both YouTube and YouTube TV," the companies said on Twitter. "This agreement represents a positive development for our shared customers, making both YouTube and YouTube TV available for all streamers on the Roku platform."

https://www.reuters.com/business/me...-companies-strike-multi-year-deal-2021-12-08/

Roku stock is up 15% this morning.

Last edited:
Private Listening is excellent!

It’s my favorite feature of Roku…using the iphone App as the remote, I have the option to stream audio wirelessly to my Bose 700 headphones for superb sound and privacy.

I have a Roku Ultra LT (wired and wireless) that I purchased a few weeks ago, and our kid purchased a Roku stick for us for Christmas. We have two TVs, so now we have two Rokus. Can a Roku device be set up and tested using one TV, then moved to another TV once set up?

I see that we need to create a Roku account in order to activate the devices (yay, another account to add to the 80+ I've created over the years that I can't delete :mad::(). When setting up the services to use through the Roku, let's say Amazon prime for starters, are the account credentials stored on the devices or on the Roku account? If you say the latter, I am going to be annoyed like I was with Microsoft trying to [-]force me[/-] [-]trick me[/-] [-]threaten me[/-] ask me to register all of my PC/laptop login information on *their* website.

Last edited:
You only need one Roku account/login. You activate/deactivate your Roku devices there.
That part I get. What I am trying to understand is how TV streaming services are login credentialed. If, for instance, we were to sign up for Sling TV, would the login and password be stored on each individual Roku streaming device, or would the login and password be stored on Roku's own website?

That part I get. What I am trying to understand is how TV streaming services are login credentialed. If, for instance, we were to sign up for Sling TV, would the login and password be stored on each individual Roku streaming device, or would the login and password be stored on Roku's own website?

My experience is that I create a different account with each service (but I don’t have many). I don’t think those credentials are stored on the Roku device but you do have to log in at first. That is, I don’t re-login each time to each service through the Roku.

You can move your Roku to the other TV without having to set it all up again.

You can move your Roku to the other TV without having to set it all up again.

That’s right. It’s especially nice if you’ve tailored your home screen to your liking.

I suppose the streaming services remember some “Roku device ID” for authentication.

Not only can you move it to another TV in your home, you can take it with you on vacation. You would just have to know the password to the internet wherever you are, but other than that your Roku works the same as at home.

Not only can you move it to another TV in your home, you can take it with you on vacation. You would just have to know the password to the internet wherever you are, but other than that your Roku works the same as at home.

The only problem I ever had was using a Roku stick at a vacation rental. I had to contact the ISP and ask them to allow my device for wi-fi use (that’s the MAC id that you can get on screen).

Does Roku app on FireTV count?

If so, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Just got a Google Chromecast and it's GREAT!

Roku is also very good, moved it to the other TV.

Just took it along to an AirBB and everything was remembered. Really handy to be able to do this when traveling.

My experience is that I create a different account with each service (but I don’t have many). I don’t think those credentials are stored on the Roku device but you do have to log in at first. That is, I don’t re-login each time to each service through the Roku.
I really am not understanding how this works. Or maybe I am not asking the right question. I've read several online PDFs and webpages at Roku's site, and it is just not sinking in.

For an example, let's say DW and I sign up for Sling TV. Obviously, I will need an account with Sling along with a password. I wish to stream Sling through the Roku. How is the Sling account and password provided to the Roku streaming device? Directly to the device? Added to the *necessary* Roku account? Is it the Roku account that stores all preferences?

I really am not understanding how this works. Or maybe I am not asking the right question. I've read several online PDFs and webpages at Roku's site, and it is just not sinking in.

For an example, let's say DW and I sign up for Sling TV. Obviously, I will need an account with Sling along with a password. I wish to stream Sling through the Roku. How is the Sling account and password provided to the Roku streaming device? Directly to the device? Added to the *necessary* Roku account? Is it the Roku account that stores all preferences?

I understand how weird it seems.

Once you subscribe to Sling, you have access to them - independent of Roku.

But you can add channels (including Sling) on Roku and log in to them through there or anywhere else.

Last edited:
If you are logging into your Sling account for the first time your Roku device will have to be "registered". Different streaming services do it different ways. Some have a code that you will go to the website they will provide and type in the code. Others, more and more nowadays, give you a QR code on the TV screen that you point your camera at to register your Roku. You will of course need your login for the streaming service. You usually only have to do this once although occasionally updates to the Roku or the channel on Roku may require you to do it again in the future.

Roku to me is like a gateway to many subscriptions that I never touch. I only used the media player feature to play videos and music over the network and the occasionally the free content from the Roku channel.

I am new to all this but recently signed up for Netflix. Since I don't have a smarttv (I have a small 2017 Samsung TV) I bought an amazon fire stick that was on sale over Christmas. Sadly I could not get it to work at all and came to the conclusion it was defective. I guess my next stop is a Roku. Is there a certain type recommended or is it just one model/item?

I am new to all this but recently signed up for Netflix. Since I don't have a smarttv (I have a small 2017 Samsung TV) I bought an amazon fire stick that was on sale over Christmas. Sadly I could not get it to work at all and came to the conclusion it was defective. I guess my next stop is a Roku. Is there a certain type recommended or is it just one model/item?

There is more than one model.

The basic model is a "Express", and then the next is the "Stick". This device plugs right into the HDMI port.

Then there is the "Ultra" models. The higher end models have more features and are faster, have more feature rich WiFi and include 4k. Features to consider are remotes that also control the TV, and remotes that allow you to plug in earphones. Some people also have wired ethernet which is available on the high end models. I use wireless on a 6 year old router with no problems, so that may not be important unless you really must do 4k.

I have the now discontinued "premium," which was like a low level Ultra.

The devices overall are not terribly expensive, so if I were to buy one today, I'd go with Ultra. Why? Faster and better remote. I don't care much about 4k, but having the remote controlling the TV volume is huge. My remote even has "mute" (not all models do) which is really nice.

Faster helps switch between different streaming services. Instead of channel flipping, I do a lot of service flipping. Additionally, those services come up quicker on the faster devices.

The only downside to ultra is the box is a bit bigger, so you may need to find a place to set it down, although it may come with velcro to attach it to the side of the TV (don't know about latest models).

Oh, one more thing. I also have a recent Firestick (bought on Black Friday), and also a Google Chromecast w/GTV bought earlier this year. My favorite is still the Roku. Most reliable.

Last edited:

Each device has its own creds - we have 3 Roku sticks and have to login/authenticate every app we use on every stick, then don't have to do so again. Same for my LG OLED TV.

Has nothing to do with Roku account for these sticks, and you can take the stick anywhere without signing in again. We've done this many times on trips, just have to connect to internet and it works same as at home.

Last edited:
Each device has its own creds - we have 3 Roku sticks and have to login/authenticate every app we use on every stick, then don't have to do so again. Same for my LG OLED TV.

Has nothing to do with Roku account for these sticks, and you can take the stick anywhere without signing in again. We've done this many times on trips, just have to connect to internet and it works same as at home.
Hmm, I wonder about that. I've been watching setup videos from other Roku users on YT, and I am annoyed with the various requirements, such as having to have a Roku account and providing a payment option, even if you never intend to purchase movies with the device. This leads me to believe that Roku may be storing your streaming service's login and password on your Roku account and not necessarily the streaming device(s).

Are all other streaming devices like this? I guess I worked far too long with classified information on isolated networks to be comfortable providing whatever personal and financial information is requested for a service, particularly when such information doesn't appear to be necessarily needed.

Looks like it is time for me to go yell at some kids to get off our lawn ... :(

Hmm, I wonder about that. I've been watching setup videos from other Roku users on YT, and I am annoyed with the various requirements, such as having to have a Roku account and providing a payment option, even if you never intend to purchase movies with the device. This leads me to believe that Roku may be storing your streaming service's login and password on your Roku account and not necessarily the streaming device(s).

Are all other streaming devices like this? I guess I worked far too long with classified information on isolated networks to be comfortable providing whatever personal and financial information is requested for a service, particularly when such information doesn't appear to be necessarily needed.

Looks like it is time for me to go yell at some kids to get off our lawn ... :(

Roku does not store passwords for other streaming services on their servers. It does store authentication tokens for services that support Automatic Account Link. Whether or not to implement that support is up to the streaming provider.

The developer info here: https://developer.roku.com/docs/dev...authentication-protocol-for-single-sign-on.md

..........and I am annoyed with the various requirements, such as having to have a Roku account and providing a payment option, even if you never intend to purchase movies with the device. :(

That's why I use a virtual credit card that I can set the amount and expiration date, in case of a dubious online retailer.

Back
Top Bottom