Does anyone use Roku?

No worries...bought a new 4K roku today. I agree 8 years is a good run and I bought the high end to try to anticipate the future (but I know I will fail). Now to survive the 2 weeks until it arrives. Did I mention Amazon Prime promises 2nd day delivery? What happened to that?
Everybody Lies. I mutter those two words in many situations these days. Just have to move past it.

Getting a new Roku was the best solution.

After update I've seen a few weird things. It's a sign that the world is not perfect.

I bought a bunch of Roku's this year, to replace 10 year old obsolete ones in 2 houses.

IMO, it's worth the extra money to get the models that have the enhanced remote with the volume controls on the side. Then, you don't have to be hunting for that "other remote" all the time just to adjust the volume.

Until Roku pushes an update that breaks the volume control functionality, which happened this year on our old Samsung LCD (been reported widely on their forum). Nothing we've tried gets it back - power on/off is all that works on our 3800 streaming stick.

I'm with others in being wary of Roku going forward, the Google fight does not portend well for the platform.

We have three Roku devices and one Roku TV. All of them have worked great the whole time we’ve had them. No issues…

I've noticed the same behavior on Roku streamer device but not on Roku stick device. New Roku Stick 4K w/ voice control is selling now for $29.99 so I might replace my old streamer device w/ new 4K stick

I've noticed the same behavior on Roku streamer device but not on Roku stick device. New Roku Stick 4K w/ voice control is selling now for $29.99 so I might replace my old streamer device w/ new 4K stick
And the 4K Roku stick was $19.99 on Cyber Monday (and might still be.)

Love Roku, use with our Cable App that saves the cost of adding additional TV outlets in study, guest suite and master bedroom.

We have 3 Roku's, one streaming stick and the other two were the higher priced ones. Can't tell any difference in performance, not sure what paying 2.5x the price of the streaming stick did for me. If I had to do it over, would just get the cheap one for all the TVs.

The main annoyance is it has no control of on/off or volume on the systems where I have a separate sound system/ amplifier. It would be nice if it would turn the TV on/off and handle my amp so I didn't have to fool with multiple remotes, but even "universal" remotes struggle with all the amps out there, so no control of the amps is fairly normal, but being unable to do on/off on the TVs seems lame, I think it's just to push their own branded electronics.

Agree with others that the fight with Google over You Tube TV seems pointless, the only difference to the user is new customers have to go to the U-Tube channel and then scroll down to select YTTV instead of YTTV being a separate channel. I can see why Roku can't ban YTTV entirely as there would be a class action lawsuit for the millions of people that bought Rokus to get that service. But just making life difficult for new customers doesn't seem like a good plan.

But those points are quibbling, overall the technology has allowed us to save money and get more viewing options easier than ever.

The main annoyance is it has no control of on/off or volume on the systems where I have a separate sound system/ amplifier. It would be nice if it would turn the TV on/off and handle my amp so I didn't have to fool with multiple remotes, but even "universal" remotes struggle with all the amps out there, so no control of the amps is fairly normal, but being unable to do on/off on the TVs seems lame, I think it's just to push their own branded electronics.

Does your sound system amp have Arc/eArc and/or CEC control?

In the summer of 2020 I had use of my son's stereo system, amp was a Denon AVR1500(?) My Roku TV with Roku remote was able to control the Denon amp with the CEC settings enabled.

I've since lost use of the newer Denon amp and am back to my decade old Sony, so yes, my Roku TV remote is good for turning TV on/off and selecting streaming channels whereas my Sony amp remote is needed for volume changes.

Just picked up a Roku Ultra LT (wired and wireless) for $35 a couple of days ago. About to set it up to test it out on some free services, and I was wondering if I need to be worried about the "upgrade" issues.

Just picked up a Roku Ultra LT (wired and wireless) for $35 a couple of days ago. About to set it up to test it out on some free services, and I was wondering if I need to be worried about the "upgrade" issues.

I don't think so. The "upgrade" problem was a software update that affected some older Roku TV's and some Ultra sticks. Roku has reversed the updates so if you hook up your Roku stick and it searches for software updates you shouldn't receive the problematic version 10.5 OS.

That and the On and Off controls for the TV.

Yes! We have replaced all of our older devices with the ultra. It’s fantastic. One remote and no issues. We did have one glitch related to the software update on one of the older devices. It was fixed the next day.

After playing this game at the Lake house for 5 years we just bite the bullet and spend the extra dollars for Comcast service. Everybody that is involved can use the TV and internet. As DS brought up, it's cheaper than the amount you spend for one night in Key West. True.

The main annoyance is it has no control of on/off or volume on the systems where I have a separate sound system/ amplifier...

I did not mention in the original post but my main use of the Roku is by conrolling it through Home-assistant (free) home automation software. I got the functionality you are describing with a Harmony hub (from Logitech). You might want to look into that. Cost is about $45 and I see there are copycats for around $19 but I can't speak to how good they are. I actually bought a refubished Harmony for less but had to return the first one because it did not work. Amazon sent me a new one. On year three with the second one with no complaints at all.

dont have a roku stick,but my wife watches "roku channel "on the internet.. tons of shows and she mainly watches "heat of the night" episodes.

Bought a Roku 1 about 8 years ago when I moved and was bouncing around places for a few months until my renter's lease expired. All in all it served its purpose back then.

I have repurposed it as a Pandora streamer. This is our nightly home mood music. But starting last night it quit! It says everything is cool but there is no sound on any Roku channel.

I have a Kodi install on the same TV and it works fine, no sound issues. Swapping their HDMI cables did not solve the problem, still hear Kodi but not Roku.

All the support forums say, unplug/wait/plug or remove/reinstall. Been there done that.

Anyone experiencing the same issues and maybe solved it?

Not trying to be a *#*+^: but buy a new one.They are very cheap. Do you expect such a device to last forever?

Bought a Roku 1 about 8 years ago when I moved and was bouncing around places for a few months until my renter's lease expired. All in all it served its purpose back then.

I have repurposed it as a Pandora streamer. This is our nightly home mood music. But starting last night it quit! It says everything is cool but there is no sound on any Roku channel.

I have a Kodi install on the same TV and it works fine, no sound issues. Swapping their HDMI cables did not solve the problem, still hear Kodi but not Roku.

All the support forums say, unplug/wait/plug or remove/reinstall. Been there done that.

Anyone experiencing the same issues and maybe solved it?

I have 3 Rokus and recently had to replace one. The new Roku is so much faster and better. Just buy one on sale now. You won’t regret it!

Roku’s are great but they lack the ability to sideload apps ala Amazon Firesticks, Cubes, etc. I actually program 4K firesticks and have free apps like PlutoTV, SmartYoutube, Kodi and CinemaHD. I have an IPTV streaming provider.

Cut cable years ago. Total cost for all of this is less than $40/month and I get all NFL games, local and national news, movie channels and more.

I’d never return to any cable arrangement.
If you don't mind...who is your internet provider?

Roku’s are great. Everyone I know who shelled out big bucks for a smart TV. Gave up on the TV Apps snd bought a Roku or Fire stick. We have both depending and they work fine but if they stop working it is $25 to replace and upgrade usually. Totally worth it

If you don't mind...who is your internet provider?

Roku’s have 100’s of channels as well. PlutoTV is one that I have installed. Roku has the ability to install non-certified channels as well which I have some of those installed as well. Soon, they are removing the non-certified channels. But, honestly I have more channels than I can use.
(Edited out some of my remarks.)

Last edited:
Roku’s are great but they lack the ability to sideload apps ala Amazon Firesticks, Cubes, etc. I actually program 4K firesticks and have free apps like PlutoTV, SmartYoutube, Kodi and CinemaHD. I have an IPTV streaming provider.

Firestick has the PlutoTV app in their appstore. No need to sideload anymore.

But I understand your point which is important to die-hards and people with specific needs.

Roku’s are great. Everyone I know who shelled out big bucks for a smart TV. Gave up on the TV Apps snd bought a Roku or Fire stick. We have both depending and they work fine but if they stop working it is $25 to replace and upgrade usually. Totally worth it

How recently were these purchases? DW picked up a new "smart" 55" TV for less than $500. I don't see too many new TVs that aren't of the "smart" variety, anyway and I don't think it affects the cost too much these days.

I’ve been a Roku user since 2012 and have 275 channels installed. I currently have 3 Rokus on 3 TVs. I have deleted about 50 channels recently. Some channels have multiple channels within their channel (PlutoTV, tubi, Roku channel, etc). I also use YouTubeTV for my main local network TV app. YouTubeTV and Netflix are the only channels I pay for. All the rest are free. I’m sure FireTV has most of the same channels that I have. One of my sons and stepson have FireTVs. The stepson uses Apple TV as well. I use them when I’m at their houses. For me they all work well.

I briefly had a Google Chromecast but returned it. Two of my TVs are SmartTVs but I still prefer using the Rokus primarily because I’m most familiar and comfortable with how they work.

Back
Top Bottom