Enhanced meta-data for CDs?

ERD50

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Back in this thread, we were talking about ripping CDs to FLAC/WAV/mp3.

https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...nversion-decluttering-106063.html#post2500125

Which led me to another issue/opportunity that I figured deserved it's own thread.

One of the things we lost with CDs was a 12" square album cover, often book-fold, with lists of musicians, maybe recording dates, etc. When I started ripping my CDs, and found there were on-line databases that would match up the track names, I thought that was great. But I was disappointed that there was not more.

I wanted as much recording info as was available, in the data base. Which musicians played on what tracks, composers, etc. None of that is available (that I know of). I really wan to be able to do something like, "Play everything in my collection with Klaus Voormann on bass".

I've enjoyed playing my old albums, reading the notes as they play, and seeing that "Oh, so-and-so is playing backing guitar on this track, I didn't know they ever worked together". I just like seeing things like that come together. All that is missing from most CD liners, and lost when you digitize, unless you do as Major Tom, and scan them all (I've done a few).

Anyhow, is there nay extended database of music info out there? The best I can do is call up something on the internet as I listen.

And for your listening pleasure, here's a rather obscure (but it shouldn't be) album that I've digitized, with a track from the aforementioned Dave Holland (and Vassar Clements, and the gang: Jethro Burns, Sam Bush, Tut Taylor, David Holland, Butch Robins, Norman Blake, Vassar Clements):

PS - I may have asked this question a few years back, oh well. ;)

-ERD50

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom