Favorite TV series of your lifetime.

The world is a Cavalcade of Color ( Disney ) on Sunday nights . As a family every Sunday evening after dinner we would watch Disney . Even though we had a B&W TV

Other program was probably Big Time Wrestling as a kid we loved it !

Just went through 5 pages of great TV!

My favorite, that some of you mentioned is "The Americans". Going back to the '80's every week was fun!

The world is a Cavalcade of Color ( Disney ) on Sunday nights . As a family every Sunday evening after dinner we would watch Disney . Even though we had a B&W TV

I remember Sunday night Disney being the "Wonderful World of Color." We didn't have a color TV either, but it was always great family entertainment.

That's a good word for it. My parents were pretty excited about it, as I recall. I had to wait a year before I could stay up late enough to watch it. Then I developed a horrible crush on Captain Kirk.

Years later, I realized that my first husband looked a lot like him. No wonder I went crazy for him.

Star Trek was transformative.

For me, Seinfeld is the greatest of the greats...some shows don't preserve well over time but I still find myself ROFLMAO when I watch it

The Simpsons- This show varies in the level of humor depending on the season but the sense of humor matches mine pretty closely. I still laugh at and quote this show often. It’s run on television is unbelievable.

The Andy Griffith Show- Growing up in the rural southeast US may make me biased but this show was so well done it can’t be dismissed. I thought given the setting and time period having Andy Griffith’s character as a single father was a rather bold choice. I also would argue that Don Knotts does not get nearly enough credit for his portrayal of Deputy Barney Fife. He was simply brilliant in that role and the show wasn’t the same without him. I also appreciated the fact that the show highlighted the good qualities of rural southern people and southern values rather than portraying the south as simply uneducated and making fun of them.

M.A.S.H.- This show attempted to portray what it would be like in one of the mobile medical units in the war and they did a brilliant job at showing the humanity and hardships of this life. The characters were also brilliantly done and very memorable. This last episode was must see television.

Star Trek- Is there a more influential television series in the sci-fi genre? The original series established the framework for a laundry list of follow up series and movies. Star Trek is a sci-fi institution and I’ve enjoyed all the available series surrounding the franchise.

Dr. Who- I vividly remember watching this as a younger child and thought the idea of a tardis was incredible. This series has made a comeback in recent years and is going strong. I’d argue it’s one of the best ever for sci-fi.

Seinfeld- A show about nothing- and it worked. I absolutely adored this show and thought it included some of the best characters in television.

The Sopranos- Brilliantly acted and written series that made you believe these characters were who they were portraying. The ending is my only complaint.

The Shield- This series was very well done and exciting to watch. The line between good guys and bad guys was blurred but it was written in a way that made you want to root for those cops even if they weren’t exactly good guys all the time. Note to The Sopranos- THIS is how you end a series!

Breaking Bad- This was Sopranos quality characters in a very well done series that went out with a bang.

The X-Files- I loved this series and I thought it was very well done. I started watching it because I had an interest in aliens and other unexplained phenomena but honestly the government conspiracy angle of the show became my favorite part.

Burn Notice- Almost like a modern version of The A-Team (which also deserves a spot on my list). It was action packed with more than a few surprises.

Fringe- A newer X-Files style show that was really well done. Leonard Nimoy’s appearance on this show was fantastic.

Sesame Street- This kids educational television show and all of the puppets were a part of so many childhood memories. The music created on this show is also very well done.

The Twilight Zone- A sci-fi fan’s dream of a series. Very original and always thought provoking.

Last edited:

Many Sunday nights as kids, my little sister and I would watch Disney in an old farm cottage where my great aunt and uncle lived in northern Illinois near the Lake-Cook County line. Uncle Rudy, who was about 80 at the time, had immigrated from Germany as a young man, and he still spoke with a soft accent. He often asked us if we had watched the most recent episode of "Lassie," and then enthusiastically recounted the plot for us. (Timmy fell in the well!)

He and his wife were warm, wonderful people from an earlier time.

The big production values of modern pro wrestling leave me cold. Give me the cheap sets in an old warehouse with a few lockers as the set for post-match interviews. Verne Gagne, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you!

Back
Top Bottom