From Win 7 to Win 10

Gmore1990

Confused about dryer sheets
Is there a safe and effective way to upgrade my computer?Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10,i'm afraid of messing everything up.

My plan is to just buy a new computer with Windows 10 on it, then transfer over the data.

I would just make sure you backup your hard drive (clone it) so that if anything goes wrong, you can get right back to where you started. It's been a while since I switched over, but the process went very smooth and I had no issues.

I do like travelover's idea though. A Win 7 machine is getting a bit old and may be time to think about an upgrade.

PS, as a new member, welcome! We invite you to introduce yourself to the community, here's a thread on how to get started:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/read-this-before-you-introduce-yourself-65548.html

I did it some time ago. No problem. All programs worked great. I did have to reload Quicken, but since I'm on their new plan, no problem with that. My data was backed up to their site.

My plan is to just buy a new computer with Windows 10 on it, then transfer over the data.
+1. IIRC I had a relatively new laptop a few years ago and I upgraded it without incident. But by now a Win 7 computer has got to be pretty old, so I'd buy new. Data is easy to transfer over. Some of your games might not work on Win 10. That may be a reason to keep a Win 7 computer around. I miss Risk II.

If you do keep the same computer it's probably best to do a fresh install. It will take more time since you'll have to reinstall all the programs you want but it will get rid of all the junk you've accumulated over the years. Just do a good back up of all your data, I would also create an image backup (available in Windows) just in case you run into problems and need to revert back to the old. Windows 10 doesn't work on some older computers, they have a program that you can run to find out if there are any compatibility issues.

Upgrading from W7 is pretty straight-forward, however there are risks involved. As many have pointed out, your system is getting pretty old, but that does not necessarily mean it needs to be upgrade. It all depends on what you do with it. Just reading this form and Facebooking, you are probably fine. But if you are doing any gaming or multimedia, I would suggest an upgrade.

I would backup with something like clonezilla, which is a byte for byte image of the disk. Then install Ubuntu. Try it out, if you don't like it, go to Win 10. Personally I think Windows is a hot mess and should be avoided.

Is there a safe and effective way to upgrade my computer?Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10,i'm afraid of messing everything up.
That is an intriguing first post. The safest way is to buy a new system from a legitimate source. That would probably be effective, also.

My experience was mixed. The bad: With laptops, When windows 10 first came out, I upgraded two nice windows 7 laptops and they became slow and not that usable with Windows 10. I ended up giving one away and putting Linux LXLE on the other. The Good: DW finally got a new laptop just last week, and it is wonderful. The good: on my tower PC the upgrade went great. The Bad: Until the Millennium upgrade seized the thing up and I had to run windows 8 for a while. The Good: When I was mentally prepared again, I reinstalled Windows 10 last year, and everything has been great since.

Last edited:
Check the difference in cost between the Win 10 Progam and a refurb PC, w/ Win 10 already installed.

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-10-Home-Download/dp/B01019BM7O/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=windows+10&qid=1564159735&s=gateway&sr=8-3
Program $129.95

...........................................................................................

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Elite-Professional-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B0094JF1HA/ref=sr_1_8?crid=BV0EFLXN7WVZ&keywords=refurbished+pc+windows+10&qid=1564159184&s=gateway&sprefix=refurbished+pc%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-8

Computer w/ Win 10 $85.00

I've been buying refurbished computers for many years... never, ever a problem.

Last edited:
Check the difference in cost between the Win 10 Progam and a refurb PC, w/ Win 10 already installed.

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wi...ds=windows+10&qid=1564159735&s=gateway&sr=8-3
Program $129.95

...........................................................................................

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Elite-Pro...gateway&sprefix=refurbished+pc,aps,164&sr=8-8

Computer w/ Win 10 $85.00

I've been buying refurbished computers for many years... never, ever a problem.
This is kind of what I found, too. Given my limited expectations of a desktop computer (no gaming, no need for speed), it seems like a refurb would be fine.

I'm pretty sure if you use assistive technologies (screen reader, magnifier, etc) you can still upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 for free.

Last edited:
A little slow for my taste... Looking at a quantum computer. :dance:..........

It is like asking for a recommendation for a car. :LOL:

Some are sure that nothing less than a BMW sports sedan will do and others are adamant that you need an F350 in case you need to move a 5th wheel trailer.

I second the idea of making an image copy or clone of your current Win 7 system and setting the copy aside in case something happens. If so, you can just restore back.

Something to keep in my is that if your Win 7 is too old, it may not run Win 10. I found that out about 2 years ago when I tried upgrading but Win 10, after installing would just crash. Ends up was a non-Win10 supported chip on the motherboard.

I ended up buying a used Computer that included a Win 10 license and reinstalled Win 10 from scratch. Total cost for the machine plus Win 10 was about $70. Cheaper than buying a retail version of Win 10 at a place like Best Buy.

Microsoft lists hardware requirements for Win 10 -- check to see if your old machine can handle it. My guess is no....

The hardware requirements for Win7 and Win10 are identical - 1 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, and DirectX 9 graphics. When it came out, most reviews said Win10 ran the same or better than Win7 on the same hardware. There might be a weird one-off incompatibility, but that is not the norm. I've upgraded a couple of Vista-era machines to Win10 with no problems.

If you have Win7, the Win10 upgrade is still free, it is just not automatic. You will need to download the Windows Media Creator tool onto a thumb drive or DVD. I did it just a month ago on an old Dell laptop. Google is your friend.

It was back in 2015(?) when Microsoft was offering free upgrades to Win 10, remember? My Win 7 wasn't working too well so I did a full backup of personal files and selected the upgrade. It took some time but it went through fine, no changes to personal files or most settings.

If you do keep the same computer it's probably best to do a fresh install. It will take more time since you'll have to reinstall all the programs you want but it will get rid of all the junk you've accumulated over the years. Just do a good back up of all your data, I would also create an image backup (available in Windows) just in case you run into problems and need to revert back to the old. Windows 10 doesn't work on some older computers, they have a program that you can run to find out if there are any compatibility issues.
I have no intention of getting a new computer,what your suggestion is to back all the data for the computer,then reinstall a new OS (Windows 10),it will probably take a long time.

My experience was mixed. The bad: With laptops, When windows 10 first came out, I upgraded two nice windows 7 laptops and they became slow and not that usable with Windows 10. I ended up giving one away and putting Linux LXLE on the other. The Good: DW finally got a new laptop just last week, and it is wonderful. The good: on my tower PC the upgrade went great. The Bad: Until the Millennium upgrade seized the thing up and I had to run windows 8 for a while. The Good: When I was mentally prepared again, I reinstalled Windows 10 last year, and everything has been great since.
Well.You really have a lot of experience,but with Windows 8,it was my bad experience,i will never go back to it.

I second the idea of making an image copy or clone of your current Win 7 system and setting the copy aside in case something happens. If so, you can just restore back.

Something to keep in my is that if your Win 7 is too old, it may not run Win 10. I found that out about 2 years ago when I tried upgrading but Win 10, after installing would just crash. Ends up was a non-Win10 supported chip on the motherboard.

I ended up buying a used Computer that included a Win 10 license and reinstalled Win 10 from scratch. Total cost for the machine plus Win 10 was about $70. Cheaper than buying a retail version of Win 10 at a place like Best Buy.
The computer that needed to upgrade to Windows 10 was a birthday gift from my brother 2 years ago,when it was running Windows 7,now i want to upgrade to Windows 10.

Back
Top Bottom