Gadgets that are a bit too smart

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I tend to sneeze very loudly, to the point that DW often teases me about it.

Today, after a particularly loud one, my watch immediately came up with a warning about the 90 dB loud noise that could be hazardous.

:mad: I know it means well, but seriously?

That's hilarious. If my smartwatch had that feature I could probably get a loud noise warning from my wife's snoring.

That's crazy funny...

Some new cars(s) have "some" gadgets/features that are just too smart/intrusive so I turn them off. OTOH, some are very useful and welcome.

Last edited:
:2funny::2funny:

I got a 90db watch warning recently, but it wasn’t sneezing. I may have been playing the music a bit loud.

Today, after a particularly loud one, my watch immediately came up with a warning about the 90 dB loud noise that could be hazardous.

Thats Crazy!!! lol

Everytime I start my vehicle, the stupid display gives me a warning about driving while the display is in use.... as if I didn't know that.

They should have a shut off the warning button !

I can force it to quite the warning, but putting the vehicle in reverse, as it must think the camera is more important than a warning.

This type of thing is pretty normal in tech. Cameras, stereos, etc. The marketing drive is a features race. Never mind the value of the features, each box seller wants to show reviewers more features than the competition. And the marketing guys have no idea what features a reviewer might find attractive. So they just shotgun.

For example, Apple has gotten a lot of ink as a result of its including some kind of auto crash detection in one of its products. I don't remember details because I am not an Apple guy and my impression is that the implementation is problematic, but clearly the feature is a big win for the marketing guys. Maybe this loud noise feature will turn out to be a win, too.

This type of thing is pretty normal in tech. Cameras, stereos, etc. The marketing drive is a features race. Never mind the value of the features, each box seller wants to show reviewers more features than the competition. And the marketing guys have no idea what features a reviewer might find attractive. So they just shotgun.

For example, Apple has gotten a lot of ink as a result of its including some kind of auto crash detection in one of its products. I don't remember details because I am not an Apple guy and my impression is that the implementation is problematic, but clearly the feature is a big win for the marketing guys. Maybe this loud noise feature will turn out to be a win, too.

I haven't looked into the crash detection from Apple but my USAA Safepilot app will supposedly detect a crash (opt in) and send a message to check if you require aid. I haven't tested it yet and hope not to.

My Echo Show apparently called my phone while I was working out this morning. It was a bit confusing when I went back up and the Show was playing the "if you'd like to review your message" recording. Later I noticed the missed call from an unknown number on my phone with an empty 3 minute voicemail and figured it out. Somehow she heard, "Alexa, call me." I was listening to a podcast downstairs but doubt that phrase was uttered by Andrew Huberman.

That is funny. As my foreign born college roomie would say, funny strange, not funny ha ha.

The intersection of big brother and protective nanny …

For example, Apple has gotten a lot of ink as a result of its including some kind of auto crash detection in one of its products. I don't remember details because I am not an Apple guy and my impression is that the implementation is problematic,

People with the new Apple watch with crash detection were having alarms going off when they rode on roller coasters.

People with the new Apple watch with crash detection were having alarms going off when they rode on roller coasters.
What does it do when delivering a good left or right hook (whichever arm has the device strapped to) to someone who desperately needs it?

I love my Apple watch but the fall detection algorithm needs some work. If I sit down too suddenly on a hard surface such as a toilet seat, especially if I brace myself with my left arm, it asks me if I'm OK. It also guesses where I'm driving- if it's Saturday night Google Maps tells me how far it is to the Mexican restaurant!

And, in a really creepy moment, I was telling my friend how weird it is to have my wrist vibrate when he calls me, the watch displayed a link to a web site on causes of hand tremors.:confused:

What does it do when delivering a good left or right hook (whichever arm has the device strapped to) to someone who desperately needs it?

Not sure. But it would be fun to warn the person about to be hit that "I'm gonna hit you so hard my watch is going to think my fist has been in a car crash!"

And, in a really creepy moment, I was telling my friend how weird it is to have my wrist vibrate when he calls me, the watch displayed a link to a web site on causes of hand tremors.:confused:

That is creepy.

Pacemakers that make a record of any and I mean any unusual heart rate activity...can't take off your wrist or hit the ignore button

I love my Apple watch but the fall detection algorithm needs some work. If I sit down too suddenly on a hard surface such as a toilet seat, especially if I brace myself with my left arm, it asks me if I'm OK. It also guesses where I'm driving- if it's Saturday night Google Maps tells me how far it is to the Mexican restaurant!
Yeah the phone pops up with the route home whenever I leave Costco, ha ha.

My apple watch went into crash detection mode after I swung a hammer a couple of times against a wood block, kind of a one off since I was using the hammer with my left hand, same hand the watch is on, which I wouldn't normally do being right handed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom