Notes after Three Years of Retirement

Congrats Eddie! Although I retired from full time work 10 years ago I have only been retired completely the last 2 years. I am less of a extrovert than when I was younger. I always have a few planned activities with friends and I see my kids weekly. This is plenty for me. I walk my dogs daily and often end up talking to people that are walking around the pond by my house. Yesterday it took me 26 hours to get home from Europe and I am exhausted. Not sure how many more of these trips I have in me. I also had Covid so that might be why I am so exhausted too.

Retired just over 2.5 months and items 3 (filling time), 4 (stresses of work), and 6 (current economic situation) resonate with me.

3. Replacing work hours and not being bored has been pretty easy so far. I've got a constant list of activities, tasks, and projects to engage in yet it's nice having the general freedom to be selective on what to do or not to do.

4. I still haven't shed all my work related stresses yet, as I still have the occasional feeling of needing to prep something for work. But a lot of the stresses are starting to go away: Sunday dreads fading, no more long sighs, etc.

6. I likely could have retired earlier but building a lot of buffer has really helped me keep my sanity during these times.

I retired three years ago. Here are some observations:

1. I'm lazier than I imagined. I don't mean "lazy" in a critical, judgmental way; it's just the word that seems to capture it. There are a wide range of social, cultural, educational, and touring activities I could be doing, but by and large I just don't feel like it. I'm content if I have maybe one of these "things to do" per week. That's enough. I know retirees who like to have their calendar full of things to do, every day. Not me.

I'm happy with my routine, which usually involves a mix of walking my dog, visiting parks, taking care of chores around the house, dealing with texts and emails, riding my bike, watching Youtube, eating, napping, writing, and working on a project. Or just sitting around doing nothing in particular, just resting and reflecting. In fact, recently I've discovered that what I need is not so much another activity, but more non-activity -- times when I'm just walking or sitting in nature, doing nothing.

This has taken some adjustment. I've had to overcome the guilt of not being "productive," the guilt associated with living such a lax, easy life. There is still a little voice in the back of my head telling me I "should" be doing more with my remaining years. But there's a louder voice up front saying that I've worked plenty hard in my life, and I'm retired now, with nothing left to prove.

2. I notice that my personality has changed. I'm still mostly the same person I was three years ago, but I've changed in some ways, too. One of the main ways I've changed is that I'm friendlier and more open to people than I was before. When I was working, I was forced to deal with people -- and some of them were people I did not want to deal with. When I got home, I just wanted to be left alone. So I didn't develop many friends outside of work.

Since being retired, I've changed. I'm just a nicer person. I was always pretty nice, but often it was politeness, not genuine interest in the other person. I'm not saying I've been transformed into an extroverted empath or anything. I'm still a highly introverted person who mostly enjoys time alone. But I'm much more friendly and warm with people I meet. I'm much more open to friendships. I've cultivated two of them since retiring that I wouldn't have had the time or inclination for, before.

3. I'm surprised at how easy it is to fill the time. I had some concerns about not being able to fill all the time, 24/7, 365 days a year, but that hasn't been a problem. I'm surprised at how quickly the time goes.

Days are satisfying. I do a little exercise at the end of the day, which I learned from positive psychology, in which you ask yourself, "What are three things that went well today?" I never have a problem thinking of more than 10 of them. Life is good. I kind of wonder when the other shoe is going to drop. I'm not used to things being this smooth for this long.

4. I've forgotten the little stresses of work. I've been surprised when I go back and review my journals from those years, how much time I spent stressed about one thing or another. The cumulative nights of poor sleep, which carried over to ruin the next day. As you know, it's not just the hours you spend at work, but how those hours affect -- how they bleed over into -- your "leisure" time.

It's easy to forget about those little work-related stressors. I'm glad I made a record of them, so I can remind myself of what it was like.

My friends and family -- all of whom continue to work -- are also a good reminder. They are always talking about being slammed by their workload, pressured by work, stressed by colleagues, patients, or complaints. I offer support, and inside I'm thinking, "I'm glad that's not me anymore."

5. I still go back and forth on the question of moving. I have seriously considered several different options and got close to pulling the trigger once, but I've always decided to stay put. I've given some thought to 55+ communities, although I have some reservations about that. My current situation is pretty good, so I keep deciding that the effort/stress and expense of moving isn't worth it.

Some of this is "paradox of choice" material -- i.e., having so many choices that you get paralyzed, start regretting your choice, imagine better alternatives, etc. I recognize that I am probably wasting my time, and that I'd be better off just committing to where I am and forgetting about a move, but I keep drifting back to wondering about other places. The grass is always greener...

6. The current economic situation is no fun, but I'm three years in and still under 2% withdrawal rate, without social security (I'm 60, haven't drawn it yet). I've kept careful records of spending for the past three years and think I have a pretty realistic, road-tested estimate of what my expenses are. I'm not happy about the economy, but I've got plenty of cushion, so I'm not feeling any pressure.

Otoh, I do notice a reflexive tendency to tighten my belt. I don't really "need" to, but I have spent so much of my life being frugal, it's second nature. Especially at a time like this. But I also recognize that I'm fine.

This is great! I relate to a lot of what you expressed.

2 yrs in for me. Went back to consulting work
to help with cash flow since some of the kids arent
independent yet.

In my tenth year of retirement, I still have dreams related to my engineering employment, not always too consternating.

Good news is: the bad dreams of my college student days have mostly stopped; the ones where I sign up for a course and then can't remember what days or where the lectures are...

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one that went from bad college dreams to weird work dreams! Have them about once a week. Latest was being given a DOS based PC to get my work done haha.

Yes!!! This!! 4 years in and this captures my experience as well. Great post.

Interesting observation and sounds like a successful transition.

Six year and a few months for me and not a whole lot of change that I can say for myself. I do get more outdoor time and a lot more exercise. I feel better shape now than I did 10 years ago. I can I have less stress and more energy. Oh, I'm totally gray now. lol

8 years in, almost. I do have a couple of nightmares of mining conditions that I never experienced in 35 years. Very strange. However, I can relate to being lazy now, but as a supervisor of workers and supervisors, I would never tolerate it back in the day; even for myself.

Great post and congratulations!

Really identify with #1 and #2!

Same time frame for me, 6/1/19 took the ERP., except you were smarter and left 4 years younger. At 64, I’m not exactly beating myself up about waiting so long to pull the plug, but the values of time and younger self were certainly underestimated compared to the cost in order to secure a higher income, in hindsight. While not wealthy, like you, there is no financial stress for us, and that really was the main worry that held me (and I assume most people) back from leaving when I originally hit my numbers at 58, as well as that “what if this is what defines me” and the social aspect of “being someone” in a long term career where I dealt with many people and solved many technical problems. My job was not the kind of negative stressful that so many here relate about.

At some point in my career, I discovered that I wasn’t cut out for the boot licking, report writing, evaluating others type that management there required, and was happier being a technical problem solving engineer. I made my peace that I wasn’t going to climb the ladder. With that I realized that while wealthier is definitely better than poorer, at some point the effort for attaining more wealth carried more negatives than positives. I was brought up without wealth & had exceeded anything my immediate family ever knew and more importantly, I realized that those choices were not what I really wanted but were what was expected of me to want. I SHOULD want to be a Director or VP, and get those big bucks. Who doesn’t want more money and accomplishment? In my Megacorp situation, if you weren’t tapped to advance by early 50s then it wasn’t likely to happen. And without exception, everyone that entered that path sacrificed their normal life to live for the company, and definitely did not FIRE. Way too many worked until they dropped dead, including the CEO at age 67.

Once I realized that, then the stress was gone. I did a fine job and if that wasn’t good enough, then tough. I was paid plenty, IMHO. Work was an annoyance the last roughly 3 years. The projects were less interesting, the paper work was more. Budgets were tighter every year yada yada yada. At the time, waiting for that inevitable ERP made sense, and was probably prudent but those are lost years that the smarter here enjoyed on their own terms, that no amount of money can get me back.

What I find I miss, is what I was already missing the last 10 years at least there. The friends and engagement of interesting thought and accomplishment.

So a lot of what the OP wrote resonates, but some, not so much. Each day does fly by. I still want to travel. I am lazier in that I haven’t been exercising like I thought I would with all my “free time”, but I eat better and while never fat, I’m at a healthier weight than the last years before FIRE. I have been enjoying my hobbies and reading for pleasure more without the guilt.

Thanks for the post and making me think about the same.

Thanks for this update. As it happens, I woke up agitated from a rather recurrent dream where I was presenting something important to the board of my former employer and I was neither dressed properly nor prepared well. I retired 7 years ago! When does this end:confused: :confused::(:blush:

-BB
It took about 10 or 15 years for my recurrent college nightmares to end (the I need the class to graduate but I forget to go to class and the final is today dream). I had anxiety from work but no dreams thank goodness. My former employer has called a few times but so far I have said no to doing any projects for them. I retired a year ago.

Last edited:
^^^^ Ha, ha. I have a similar recurring one, only it’s high school math class, I can’t find the classroom, I forgot it’s final exam day, I don’t have a pencil, I won’t graduate high school and leave my small town…. It’s so frightening I slowly wake up to “Wait a minute, I DID graduate years ago,” then, “I will NEVER have to take another math class!” Sweet relief! Zzzzzzzzz.

The last dream about college was 10+ years ago. I was running late for Organic Chem final and arrived at class with only 10 minutes to take the test. Talk about waking up in a cold sweat. Fortunately I never had dreams about Grad school where some of my classes had me working with disease organisms that had no cure. :dead:

Cheers!

Hello friends,
I'll be the big 60 in Oct. I work full time and have a wife and 20 year old at home. I rarely see how you early retirees handle healthcare. Isn't that the #1 blood sucker? Would love to hear how you all handle that. I've had Blue Cross/Blue Shield of MI for years where I work. I'm a little anxious at some of the responses I'm about to hear.

thanks
Tom

I retired three years ago. Here are some observations:

1. I'm lazier than I imagined. I don't mean "lazy" in a critical, judgmental way; it's just the word that seems to capture it. There are a wide range of social, cultural, educational, and touring activities I could be doing, but by and large I just don't feel like it. I'm content if I have maybe one of these "things to do" per week. That's enough. I know retirees who like to have their calendar full of things to do, every day. Not me.

I'm happy with my routine, which usually involves a mix of walking my dog, visiting parks, taking care of chores around the house, dealing with texts and emails, riding my bike, watching Youtube, eating, napping, writing, and working on a project. Or just sitting around doing nothing in particular, just resting and reflecting. In fact, recently I've discovered that what I need is not so much another activity, but more non-activity -- times when I'm just walking or sitting in nature, doing nothing.

This has taken some adjustment. I've had to overcome the guilt of not being "productive," the guilt associated with living such a lax, easy life. There is still a little voice in the back of my head telling me I "should" be doing more with my remaining years. But there's a louder voice up front saying that I've worked plenty hard in my life, and I'm retired now, with nothing left to prove.

2. I notice that my personality has changed. I'm still mostly the same person I was three years ago, but I've changed in some ways, too. One of the main ways I've changed is that I'm friendlier and more open to people than I was before. When I was working, I was forced to deal with people -- and some of them were people I did not want to deal with. When I got home, I just wanted to be left alone. So I didn't develop many friends outside of work.

Since being retired, I've changed. I'm just a nicer person. I was always pretty nice, but often it was politeness, not genuine interest in the other person. I'm not saying I've been transformed into an extroverted empath or anything. I'm still a highly introverted person who mostly enjoys time alone. But I'm much more friendly and warm with people I meet. I'm much more open to friendships. I've cultivated two of them since retiring that I wouldn't have had the time or inclination for, before.

3. I'm surprised at how easy it is to fill the time. I had some concerns about not being able to fill all the time, 24/7, 365 days a year, but that hasn't been a problem. I'm surprised at how quickly the time goes.

Days are satisfying. I do a little exercise at the end of the day, which I learned from positive psychology, in which you ask yourself, "What are three things that went well today?" I never have a problem thinking of more than 10 of them. Life is good. I kind of wonder when the other shoe is going to drop. I'm not used to things being this smooth for this long.

4. I've forgotten the little stresses of work. I've been surprised when I go back and review my journals from those years, how much time I spent stressed about one thing or another. The cumulative nights of poor sleep, which carried over to ruin the next day. As you know, it's not just the hours you spend at work, but how those hours affect -- how they bleed over into -- your "leisure" time.

It's easy to forget about those little work-related stressors. I'm glad I made a record of them, so I can remind myself of what it was like.

My friends and family -- all of whom continue to work -- are also a good reminder. They are always talking about being slammed by their workload, pressured by work, stressed by colleagues, patients, or complaints. I offer support, and inside I'm thinking, "I'm glad that's not me anymore."

5. I still go back and forth on the question of moving. I have seriously considered several different options and got close to pulling the trigger once, but I've always decided to stay put. I've given some thought to 55+ communities, although I have some reservations about that. My current situation is pretty good, so I keep deciding that the effort/stress and expense of moving isn't worth it.

Some of this is "paradox of choice" material -- i.e., having so many choices that you get paralyzed, start regretting your choice, imagine better alternatives, etc. I recognize that I am probably wasting my time, and that I'd be better off just committing to where I am and forgetting about a move, but I keep drifting back to wondering about other places. The grass is always greener...

6. The current economic situation is no fun, but I'm three years in and still under 2% withdrawal rate, without social security (I'm 60, haven't drawn it yet). I've kept careful records of spending for the past three years and think I have a pretty realistic, road-tested estimate of what my expenses are. I'm not happy about the economy, but I've got plenty of cushion, so I'm not feeling any pressure.

Otoh, I do notice a reflexive tendency to tighten my belt. I don't really "need" to, but I have spent so much of my life being frugal, it's second nature. Especially at a time like this. But I also recognize that I'm fine.
I was reading your post to my wife and we both laughed and related. Your post also gave me inspiration to do an early 10 years post update. I retired at 57 in July 2013, I was very nervous at being FIRE at the time, although passed the FIRE calculator but I felt financially insecure at the time. Thanks for the good advises on this site, I pulled the trigger it was the best decision. Now at 66, although still fit and healthy there are small health issues that surprised me from HBP to AFlip recently diagnosed. So as the saying goes that you're healthy until you’re not. But everyday I’ve enjoy the little things in life mentioned in your aforementioned post. So congrats and thank you for your post!

If you like the outdoors, try geocaching as an activity. I've been geocaching for over 20 years, but have actually slowed down to enjoy it more in my retirement years (6). I find it a good activity during my travels to find different things at the standard tourist destinations around the world.

Same boat!

Sounds exactly what I’ve experienced, even with the thoughts of moving. We’re very lucky.
Cheers.

Hello friends,

I'll be the big 60 in Oct. I work full time and have a wife and 20 year old at home. I rarely see how you early retirees handle healthcare. Isn't that the #1 blood sucker? Would love to hear how you all handle that. I've had Blue Cross/Blue Shield of MI for years where I work. I'm a little anxious at some of the responses I'm about to hear.

thanks

Tom

We retired when DH was 57 and I had just turned 56. He had been paying for his own health insurance since 2013. We looked at available options and chose to keep his grandfathered plan and add me. Premiums have more than doubled in 5.5 years but we’ve stayed with it as we like the flexibility of the plan and its costs are still competitive. Most early retirees buy an ACA plan on the exchange. You can research costs for your zip code using ehealthinsurance.com.

Hello friends,

thanks
Tom

If you can control your taxable income, then the ACA can be affordable. When I retired, I had over a year's expenses in cash and have a large Roth balance - so I can keep my taxable income low. Before I retired, I was self employed and used an expense sharing program (medishare) - I don't know if that is the best option, but it seemed cheaper than the insurance I could find while working.

Hello friends,

thanks
Tom

When I first ERed in late 2008, there was no ACA. I had limited affordable choices in a state (NY) which was unfriendly to those in the individual HI market. Furthermore, I was hit with rate increases in 2010 and 2011 totaling 50%, giving me pause about my whole ER plan.

But the ACA got passes in early 2010. While the exchanges didn't become available until 2014, I still had to hang in there from mid-2011 through the end of 2013. I dumped the increasingly expensive plan I was in and chose a cheap, bare-bones hospital-only plan to last me 2.5 years. I was fortunate to stay healthy in this time, unlike a few years later when I developed some health issues in 2015 and needed the ACA to get me through it, both health-wise and money-wise.

The exchanges came in and I qualified for a small premium subsidy for a few years until I went over the subsidy cliff from 2017-2019. Then I began managing my income better and got back on the subsidy train in 2020, as the subsidy I had been forgoing was rising quickly in value. Now my HI cost has dropped by more than 50%.

I rarely see how you early retirees handle healthcare. Isn't that the #1 blood sucker? Would love to hear how you all handle that.

I became FI ("financially independent") in 2007, except for health insurance. There was no ACA back then, and individual health insurance for retirees was "through the roof" expensive. So, I worked an extra 2 years at my federal government job and kept saving as before. I retired the day after I qualified for retiree health insurance, in 2009.

Those were the hardest 2 years of my working life! But you know what? I did it anyway because I had to. I'm not saying the same is true for you and I sure hope it isn't. But anyway you wanted to know how we covered healthcare, so there it is. The silver lining to the cloud is that I ended up with a nice, fat nest egg for retirement.

It took about 10 or 15 years for my recurrent college nightmares to end (the I need the class to graduate but I forget to go to class and the final is today dream). I had anxiety from work but no dreams thank goodness. My former employer has called a few times but so far I have said no to doing any projects for them. I retired a year ago.

:LOL: I get similar university nightmares every 6 months or so. It's funny that so many people have such similar nightmares.

Work was also a constant source of anxiety and unfortunately I had the odd work nightmare too, on top of a lot of long sighs and mumbling. None since retirement tho! :)

Thanks for the post!
Glad to know I’m not alone in dropping the college class dream and not the only one content with being lazy!

Back
Top Bottom