Google Fi Anyone?

I can get a 32GB Nexus 5X from Swappa.com for ~$125, which is pretty close to a "heck, why not get one and try it" price. I was thinking that I would start by getting a data-only SIM for it to see if I like the phone. If so, I would have to buy out the rest of my Pixel 2, and then sell it. ...
I think you can just move your SIM between the two phones unless they take different size SIMS.

Comparing the 5X to either Pixel I find two possible reasons to stay with a Pixel. First, the 5X has 2GB of RAM versus 4GB for the Pixels. Second, both Pixels support more LTE bands. A final minor advantage my Pixel 2 has is that it's water resistant for 30 mins to one meter. Not that I plan to test that out, but it did come in handy while using my phone to navigate in the rain.
No problem. I was just reacting to your stated remorse about buying the Pixel. If you think it's a few hundred $$ better than the 5X, keep it. You didn't seem to think so in your post.

We went with the Moto X4. inexpensive, a pretty good phone, and it takes an SD card. For some reason the Google phones don't.

Also odd was that my old Moto G5 didn't even have a compass. I just assumed they all did nowadays.

I guess you really need to review the specs of any phone before buying.

I think you can just move your SIM between the two phones unless they take different size SIMS.

Hmm.... I wonder if that will move my saved WiFi passwords? I have to admit that the backup tool that Project Fi used to move my saved settings from my Moto X to my Pixel 2 was slick, so I'd hate to lose that if I moved to a different phone.

No problem. I was just reacting to your stated remorse about buying the Pixel. If you think it's a few hundred $$ better than the 5X, keep it. You didn't seem to think so in your post.

Yeah, I think my angst is with the lack of perceived value in the Pixel 2. It doesn't feel fully baked to me, and to have bugs with core Google software like Maps is inexcusable. Note that the compass calibration problem is likely a hardware issue :(

I love my pixel 2 xl but I haven't checked the compass. Directions work fine though - just navigated cross country 2000 miles without an issue.

Hmm.... I wonder if that will move my saved WiFi passwords? I have to admit that the backup tool that Project Fi used to move my saved settings from my Moto X to my Pixel 2 was slick, so I'd hate to lose that if I moved to a different phone.

I do not think moving a SIM card or getting a data-only Fi SIM will include your WiFi passwords, however they are part of the automatic backup feature built into Android. On your Pixel 2, go to Settings / System / Backup and turn on the "Back up to Google Drive" option. WiFi passwords are part of Device settings, so whatever time you see listed for that backup is the last time they were synced.

Then when you setup the new phone, make sure to use the same Google account as primary, and that should bring your WiFi network settings along.

Back
Top Bottom