Pay as you go cell offering/no monthly minimums?

OldShooter

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
There is a Google Fi/T-Mobile dead zone on DWs and my drive to/from our lake home. Lately this has become a concern to her in the event she has a car problem or other issue. There is good Verizon coverage on the route but we do not want to leave FI.

So, does anyone offer a plan where we bring out own phone and just pay for a slug of minutes to be used whenever we need them? I recall from years ago that there were such plans with small minimum annual charges -- minutes expired after 12 months IIRC If I can find something like this I'll just give her a backup phone for just-in-case.

TIA

Have you tried sending texts from this dead zone...or when she drives alone turning off all her apps and such to check for coverage.

Some quick googling leads me to believe these plans might not be available anymore. Now you might be able to buy a burner phone but in case of emergency they don't provide any location data or such which might be critical in an accident or medical emergency. IMO this would be a pretty big issue. I see Verizon has a pay as you go phone which starts at around 30 bucks a month ...

Tracfone bundles with Verizon at HSN or QVC good for 1 year. Phone unlocked after 60 days so you could go to another carrier if you wanted but you'd lose all the balances of course.
This deal includes a good 5G phone, I have this bundle as my backup phone service and carrier. If you are a new customer there are tons of codes out there to get additional discount. 2021 model phone.

https://www.qvc.com/tracfone-moto-g...1500-talktextdata.product.E315229.html?TZ=EST

The question is will this work on a Verizon tower with limited strength. We have no choice and have to use Verizon as a carrier. Every other carrier swears up and down they have "coverage" here but no they don't. Apparently there is a tiered use access and our coverage is so poor that the other carriers actually never function. Very often we can only pull one or two bars outside on the farm. Texting is fine that works but calling can be a real PITA...

In the OP's case if it's a Verizon coverage area best to get actually Verizon coverage.. if his spouse is looking for safety in case of accident or emergency that's what I'd do.

Tracfone bundles with Verizon at HSN or QVC good for 1 year. Phone unlocked after 60 days so you could go to another carrier if you wanted but you'd lose all the balances of course.
This deal includes a good 5G phone, I have this bundle as my backup phone service and carrier. If you are a new customer there are tons of codes out there to get additional discount. 2021 model phone.

https://www.qvc.com/tracfone-moto-g...1500-talktextdata.product.E315229.html?TZ=EST

Yeah, I've done two of those deals over the last few years. I unlocked and moved the first phone later to Tello on T-Mobile's network. And I still have one Moto G active on Tracfone on Verizon network.

The question is will this work on a Verizon tower with limited strength. We have no choice and have to use Verizon as a carrier. Every other carrier swears up and down they have "coverage" here but no they don't. Apparently there is a tiered use access and our coverage is so poor that the other carriers actually never function. Very often we can only pull one or two bars outside on the farm. Texting is fine that works but calling can be a real PITA...

In the OP's case if it's a Verizon coverage area best to get actually Verizon coverage.. if his spouse is looking for safety in case of accident or emergency that's what I'd do.
Tracfone is owned by Verizon and the phone comes with a Verizon sim card installed.
My comment was probably unnecessary in his case since he wants to stay with Verizon.

In my case I moved the phone to my main carrier which is a T-mobile MVNO after the 60 days was up and Tracfone had sent me the unlock code.

Have you tried sending texts from this dead zone...or when she drives alone turning off all her apps and such to check for coverage. ...
Oh, it's dead alright. I have an app called Network Cell Info that gives me all kinds of data including a signal strength meter and, where we have coverage, a map showing the path to the tower being used. The meter shows a solid zero with no towers identified.

The question is will this work on a Verizon tower with limited strength.
DW had a friend with Verizon service with her on that trip recently and friend had good coverage the whole way.

Google Fi is a much better primary package for us both for cost and for international coverage. The phone I am hoping to find would address DW's concerns but probably never be used to actually make a call. We have been driving that route for literally over half a century and never had a problem. But that's not proof we will never have one.

Tracfone is owned by Verizon and the phone comes with a Verizon sim card installed.
My comment was probably unnecessary in his case since he wants to stay with Verizon.

In my case I moved the phone to my main carrier which is a T-mobile MVNO after the 60 days was up and Tracfone had sent me the unlock code.

This could be an option, but since the carrier he now uses does not work at all I wouldn't count on Tracfone working either, it might but that's the sole reason they want a phone so bummer if it doesn't.

If you want to be at the head of the line for spotty coverage you should go with the main carrier that services the tower.

Oh, it's dead alright. I have an app called Network Cell Info that gives me all kinds of data including a signal strength meter and, where we have coverage, a map showing the path to the tower being used. The meter shows a solid zero with no towers identified.

DW had a friend with Verizon service with her on that trip recently and friend had good coverage the whole way.

Google Fi is a much better primary package for us both for cost and for international coverage. The phone I am hoping to find would address DW's concerns but probably never be used to actually make a call. We have been driving that route for literally over half a century and never had a problem. But that's not proof we will never have one.

Sorry if I wasn't clear you can get a stand alone Verizon phone with only texts and minutes. I meant get the minimum working phone for emergencies. Then you can keep your main carrier.

Also my will it work comment was about Tracfone not Verizon...

Yeah, I've done two of those deals over the last few years. I unlocked and moved the first phone later to Tello on T-Mobile's network. And I still have one Moto G active on Tracfone on Verizon network.
Me too. I'm using this phone with Tello after the 60 day unlock. Like you, I moved the service bundle that came with the phone to a BYOP sim on one of my older phones to keep it active. That service will rollover for another year as long as I buy another phone before it expires and it's good to have a backup service with another carrier.
I buy a new phone every year on these deals and always Motorola, the last two being the Stylus model and they are great phones. I bought this deal a few months ago and the price was $80 at the time. Not to shabby for a brand new 5G phone.

So my phone a 2 year old Samsung is an Xfinity phone plan Verizon is the carrier that Xfinity uses...so not billed by Verizon, serviced by Verizon.

When we drive up to the lake there is about 10 miles where I get the symbol that says you have no service. My DH who has a business phone with Verizon billing, gets at least one bar and sometimes two. This my experience with poor service areas, don't buy a rando brand even one that says it "uses" Verizon services and expect it to work.

This could be an option, but since the carrier he now uses does not work at all I wouldn't count on Tracfone working either, it might but that's the sole reason they want a phone so bummer if it doesn't.

I will get cell coverage with my Tracfone on the Verizon network where I will lose T-Mobile service with my main provider. That's one reason why I got the Tracfone.

I will get cell coverage with my Tracfone on the Verizon network where I will lose T-Mobile service with my main provider. That's one reason why I got the Tracfone.
(OP) That would work, but it looks like my minimum cost for Tracfone would be $99/year. Maybe that is my cheapest option or maybe someone else has an idea.

That might be true and it might not...it's totally area dependent I have first hand experience with this I don't know why you all are not listening.

(OP) That would work, but it looks like my minimum cost for Tracfone would be $99/year. Maybe that is my cheapest option or maybe someone else has an idea.

Go ahead and buy it and if/when it doesn't work get back to me...we are talking solely about areas with poor cell service..I've given two examples of why this is a problem.

wife uses a non-smartphone Tracfone on Verizon.

by refilling online there's a 365 day extension option for $49.95.

plus taxes and fees.

when it's time for a refill I buy the cheapest card with 90-day expiration then add the option above.

with taxes & fees it's ~$75 for another 90 + 365 days.

That might be true and it might not...it's totally area dependent I have first hand experience with this I don't know why you all are not listening.
I know it's true because I have lost coverage at times with my T-Mobile phone, and my Tracfone Verizon phone has had service. I don't need to listen to someone else tell me when I have first hand experience.

It might not be true for you, but I was talking about my experience.

I know it's true because I have lost coverage at times with my T-Mobile phone, and my Tracfone Verizon phone has had service. I don't need to listen to someone else tell me when I have first hand experience.

It might not be true for you, but I was talking about my experience.

It's very dependent on where and what carrier also very much trial and error. It's too bad because someone can end up with no service in an emergency. Literally all I was saying was in an emergency in an area with poor cell service you're going to have better luck if your secondary phone is with a main line carrier. As an aside the second tier cell companies will tell you anything which is too bad but sadly true

You can get a Tracfone bundle for cheaper than that if you can wait a bit, the prices go up and down on these every week. I have a slickdeals.net search set up for tracfone bundle and get an e-mail every time a new deal pops up. With the holidays coming up there should be lots of new deals coming. They also have a 30 day return policy so if it does not work in your area, return it.
I'm looking for one for my 7 YO grandsons XMAS. So far his dad is saying no but we'll see.

wife uses a non-smartphone Tracfone on Verizon.

by refilling online there's a 365 day extension option for $49.95.

plus taxes and fees.

when it's time for a refill I buy the cheapest card with 90-day expiration then add the option above.

with taxes & fees it's ~$75 for another 90 + 365 days.

I do this, too. The cheapest card for me is a 30-day, 60 or 90 minute one which costs $10, so the grand total is $65 for 15 months including taxes and fees.

Until a few years ago, I could buy only the 1-year service time without buying any minutes. Tracfone changed their purchasing system to prevent that, so I have to buy some minutes no matter what, then add the service time later.

It is frustrating to me that the cheapest stuff doesn't work inside my house (Verizon via Tracfone). I can only make wifi calls which seems not sufficient to me . . . I do live in the middle of a huge city. . . not a rural area.

There is a Google Fi/T-Mobile dead zone on DWs and my drive to/from our lake home. Lately this has become a concern to her in the event she has a car problem or other issue. There is good Verizon coverage on the route but we do not want to leave FI.

So, does anyone offer a plan where we bring out own phone and just pay for a slug of minutes to be used whenever we need them? I recall from years ago that there were such plans with small minimum annual charges -- minutes expired after 12 months IIRC If I can find something like this I'll just give her a backup phone for just-in-case.

TIA
Not to be insensitive to the concern, but playing devil's advocate -- how much of a problem is this really? I'm talking from a risk assessment standpoint, looking at probability & severity of the risk.

• How long is this stretch of road with no signal?
  • How heavily trafficked is it? (if lots of frequent cars on the road, it's easy to flag someone down to help)
  • How reliable is the vehicle she uses?
  • What is the likelihood of having a problem specifically within this service dead zone?
  • How much of a problem would it be to find another means of seeking help? (many homes/businesses that can be walked to if required, or none)

Personally, I would hate to have a totally separate phone & cell service & their associated costs just on the of chance of a low probability, easily overcome problem were to unexpectedly occur. If it means walking 1-2 miles to a nearby gas station or zone with cell coverage, I would totally risk that. Of course, if this is a 25mi deadline with nothing but wilderness around & you drive an old, unreliable car with constant deer/animal "interactions" ... Yeah, maintaining a constant communications avenue might be warranted.

As a different idea to consider... if you really are in a "wide open & empty" type environment, you might check with your local sheriff/state police to see if they have an emergency radio frequency that you could use to call for help if required. Then you could make a 1-time purchase of a long-range (or satellite) radio transceiver for the vehicle, and never have to worry about paying for a service plan that expires or has recurring charges. Buying a simple ELT device could also be an option (emergency locator transmitter, 1-button nationwide call for help, monitored by rescue agencies across the country).

If this phone is just for emergencies, you could always buy a Verizon phone with low minutes and then let it expire.

The phone can be left in the car. Just keep the charger in the car as well, or leave it plugged into the cigarette lighter outlet so it charges as the car drives.

When she has an emergency, she can call 911 on that phone as a plan is not required to dial 911.

Get the $5/month (taxes included) plan from USMobile. Gives you 500mins / 500 texts / 500MB data. which is probably plenty for this situation, and it can run on Verizon network.

If you phones do eSim, then you can set it up as a second line on the phone.

Get the $5/month (taxes included) plan from USMobile. Gives you 500mins / 500 texts / 500MB data. which is probably plenty for this situation, and it can run on Verizon network.

If you phones do eSim, then you can set it up as a second line on the phone.

I was going to suggest this as well but then you've got a monthly phone line subscription. True, it's not much money but essentially all the OP needs is "phone call insurance" in case a once in 10 years incident occurs. A one time purchase ought to be available to handle his needs.

Back
Top Bottom