Help with windows error message.

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
DW has a Desktop and a Laptop. The Desktop is set up to act like a server by using the sharing protocols. This works well. I can access the files on her Desktop that are in her folder from my Desktop and she can access her folder from her Laptop. She basically organizes her desktop folder from her laptop so she’s moving files around, viewing them (they’re mostly pictures), deleting duplicates, etc. All was well until a few weeks ago. We started getting the following message after about an hour of her working on her files:

An error occurred while reconnecting X: to
\\DW-Desktop\DWFolder
Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use.

This connection has not been restored.

When this happens, she gets disconnected and has to go back to her Desktop and log back in (because the machine has gone to sleep).

I’m guessing that I can change the settings so that the Desktop doesn’t go into sleep mode, however, it didn’t use to do this. She used to be able to stay on it as long as she wanted and while not positive, I think the Desktop did used to go to sleep - as in I have not changed any settings. Maybe an update did.

Wondering if anyone can help me better understand what’s going on here and how I might correct it.

Thank you.

They are both running Windows 10. So is my desktop.

From the laptop, need to execute something like this (change names to match your machine name). The key here is the switch/option / persistent:yes

net use e: \\servername\sharename password /user:servername\user1 /persistent:yes

From the laptop, need to execute something like this (change names to match your machine name). The key here is the switch/option / persistent:yes

net use e: \\servername\sharename password /user:servername\user1 /persistent:yes

Thanks. I’ll try that. I’m assuming a few things:

This is a command prompt input.

The machine in the command is the Desktop (which is the acting server in my case), even though the command is executed from the Laptop.

Question - Are you just old school (using a command prompt) or is there no way to select this in Windows (wouldn’t surprise me).

Again, thanks. I’ll try this today.

Her network adapter is powering down during sleep. There is a setting to exclude the network adapter from the power plan. This setting is in the energy saving area or power plan.

Her network adapter is powering down during sleep. There is a setting to exclude the network adapter from the power plan. This setting is in the energy saving area or power plan.

Thanks. As much as I was looking forward to figuring out a command prompt input, this seems much easier.

Thanks. As much as I was looking forward to figuring out a command prompt input, this seems much easier.
The command prompt is handy. I keep that on my devices just in case. It's not related to the problem with Windows putting your net adapter to sleep.

Also, reboot. Windows is like that.

The command prompt is handy. I keep that on my devices just in case. It's not related to the problem with Windows putting your net adapter to sleep.

Also, reboot. Windows is like that.

Agree about the command prompt. I used it a lot when I was trying to prove to my cable company that the intermittent problem was coming from outside of my network. Pinging and Tracing were very helpful.

I just gave up trying to remember "ipconfig" and looked it up.
I've been using Google Keep more frequently to store important commands. I can get there through mobile or otherwise. I guess this forum works as storage too?

Came back to this thread, and went to check my own setting. I am quite surprised that my controller was set to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."
So I unchecked that.

Attachments

• Controller Properties.JPG
    Controller Properties.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 6
Thanks. I’ll try that. I’m assuming a few things:

Question - Are you just old school (using a command prompt) or is there no way to select this in Windows (wouldn’t surprise me).

If you use the "Map Network Drive" dialog, the option "reconnect at sign-in" is the equivalent.

Came back to this thread, and went to check my own setting. I am quite surprised that my controller was set to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."
So I unchecked that.

Thanks for posting that. I ended up in my power management area and it didn’t really have a setting to force the network controller to stay on. What I did for now is to extend the amount of time before the computer goes to sleep. The above solution looks better.

Type Windows key. Type ethernet settings. Open the panel and click "Change adapter options." Right-click Local Area Connection. View Properties. Click Configure. Look at Power Management tab.

Lol, the user is always in control? The gui is fui.

Back
Top Bottom