Home Automation Refresh

misanman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We have a set of home automation smart switches that have worked well over the years but I think the technology is out of date. We use six of these controllers for Christmas lights. One of them failed this year. I was able to order a replacement but there was only one available on Amazon and I didn't see them anywhere else. They are bluetooth-based GE-Avion. I'm thinking I need to bring everything up to date for next year with a more modern offering. I'm vaguely aware that there is a new industry standard that would offer better interoperability and help avoid technological obsolescence.

Any suggestions for current-gen or next-gen home automation smart switch solutions?

We have had really good luck with Wyze.
I love my Wyze bulbs, much less trouble than Geeni, but the app only works with Wyze products. I'm using a Samsung SmartThings hub and it can control my Kwikset smart lock, Honeywell thermostat, and Arlo/Netgear camera, along with any Samsung items (like our TV), which is nice.

You could also look for devices controllable by Google Home or Alexa, many devices have that capability and I use that a lot more than the apps anyway.

EDIT: To clarify, both assistant devices can control Geeni and Wyze lighting, and our thermostat and locks. (I set a passcode to unlock the door via voice control.) That's why it's a good alternative to a hub, although I don't think the lock could be controlled without a hub.

Last edited:
I love my Wyze bulbs, much less trouble than Geeni, but the app only works with Wyze products. I'm using a Samsung SmartThings hub and it can control my Kwikset smart lock, Honeywell thermostat, and Arlo/Netgear camera, along with any Samsung items (like our TV), which is nice.

We started with Wyze so it was easy for us. We never automated any of our houses until now and I wonder how we ever got by. :LOL: We love the security cameras, the automated lighting, etc.

Still using Stanley Lightmaker, X10, for Christmas lights. The 1980’s tech still works. Will probably move to Wyze when they fail.

Wemo for outdoor lighting and switches for indoor lighting.

Back
Top Bottom