I Need a Newer GPS ... or Do I?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'll start of by saying, yes, I'm old school. Prefer using a GPS over a smart phone app as a GPS. So, no need to folks to say "just use a smartphone" :cool:.

A bit of history ...

I've owned 3 GPSes (is that the plural?) in the past.

My very first was one of the earlier Garmin Street Pilots. This was the brick type that costed about $1000 at the time. It didn't have enough space to store the entire United States. So I had to use with a computer and CD disc to pick certain areas I'd be going to, to then load to the GPS. This was "modern" at the time.

Then a few years went by and Garmin came out with a newer model. Still a Street Pilot but had a tiny hard drive I guess that stored enough map information for the entire United States. No more need for loading from CDs. This was my second GPS and costed about $800 at the time.

The second GPS didn't last long. About a year or two, it had trouble booting up and I could see there was a load error. I guess the potholes and bumping around of the road didn't play well with a physical hard drive :LOL:.

My third GPS, was a "freebie" in that for the hard drive GPS, I bought an extended warranty (bought at Best Buy). The third is a Garmin Nuvi 260. No more brick but about the shape of a deck of cards, only thinner. I remember bringing in my warranty contract to Best Buy telling the person my brick one doesn't work and turning on to show him, he said go ahead and pick one out at no cost to me. I selected the Nuvi and he said "Are you sure?" as The Nuvi 260 was only selling for about $400 at the time and I could have got a more upscale model but I liked the Nuvi 260.

The Nuvi 260 is the one I use to this day. About 20 years worth. Overall, it's done me well, execept a feature that's lacking which I had with the Street Pilots. The feature is the ability to custom avoid roads and areas.

I could have used the feature about 2 weeks ago. On my trip, the interstate ramp is closed both ways due to construction. I'm heading that way again soon. Would like to use a GPS feature to block out that area. Otherwise, my Nuvi tries to get on that freeway and I end up having to trial and error drive off course enough so eventually missed the closed off entrance ramp.

So, I found myself searching and reading about all (way too many) Garmin GPS models and some that have the custom avoid features to block out a road or area. A used Garmin with lifetime map updates on ebay are cheap. About $30. But as I'm still looking, I'm asking myself, do I really want one? I'm kind of set in my old way used to the simplicity of my current GPS. Yet, at the same time, the feature to block out is nice.

A trade off between a new feature vs having to learn new settings and go with less simplicity.

So glad everything I use has GPS built in including our car.

We had several Garmins but eventually got rid of all of them. In Europe Google or Apple Maps became excellent. Google handles public transportation and even buckle routes very well. Apple catching up. We put up with phone GPS instructions for a few years, but because Apple Maps syncs to the watch and gave me wrist navigation info as well as verbal turn by turn instructions, it worked very well.

Hard to beat this built-in GPS display in the car - 17 inch center console touch screen display. (Video feed shown because right turn signal is on)

Attachments

• F1C84CC4-6BC6-467D-A614-8840FD1BEE76.jpeg
    F1C84CC4-6BC6-467D-A614-8840FD1BEE76.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I like my 5+ year old Nuvi (Model?) Garmin. It served me well on trips back East and to California. Lifetime maps and the ability to store waypoints along the way. Big screen (5") and I can locate it next to the A pillar at the left corner of the dash.

That's my "go to" device on a trip. Phone is a back up which I don't care for to use.

Nuvi owner here too and like the OP, I prefer the Nuvi to using my cellphone other than I have to admit that I used Waze recently on a trip with DS and was impressed with Waze.

I wouldn't do anything other than perhaps have Waze on as a supplement to the Nuvi when traveling through that trouble spot.

I gave a Garman GPS to my husband for our first Christmas as a couple... We were back east and he had a boat - it could be used to find buoy markers in the Delaware river/bay, the Chesapeake/Delaware canal, etc. We also used it on a 5 week cross country road trip after we were married.

I replaced it with a Tom-Tom because reviews said it had better maps for Sicily than Garman. That GPS saved our marriage because 3 weeks driving in Sicily without it would have ended in one of us killing the other. We still have it, but the maps can't be updated anymore.

Now we just use Google Maps on our smartphones both domestically and internationally, with no issues.

DW has an old Garmin Nuvi in her car. Probably as old as her car - 10 years. We’ve upgraded the maps once or twice. Dependable and easy to use.

My Jeep and truck have built in GPS.

I’d like to find one where I can download a Google my maps route that I create and have the gps take that route. Haven’t found one to have that ability yet

Both of us still like our Garmin Nuvis (plural) that have to be at least 10 years old. The screens are bigger than a phone so are easier to read.

And ditto on saving the marriage - DW has a hard time reading a map in a moving car, and has a tendency to tell me about turn just after we drive past it.

How do they update maps for Garmin units these days? I've had several for boating and built in cars, but the map updates are infrequent, and always way behind. Apple and Google maps are updated far more often and therefore more useful to me, that's why I quit relying on Garmin products. YMMV

3 Garmins, one in each vehicle in use. One relly old one sitting at camp. One oddbal, can't recall name in the trunk of the car. Car has built in nav, can't decide if better than garmin. Updating it in time would cost $$$ to GM. The garmins have lifetime free updates.

How do they update maps for Garmin units these days? I've had several for boating and built in cars, but the map updates are infrequent, and always way behind. Apple and Google maps are updated far more often and therefore more useful to me, that's why I quit relying on Garmin products. YMMV

I just log in to Garmin on my computer, connect my unit, and select "update". Takes about an hour or quicker on a faster bandwith service.

I just did a map update a few weeks ago. I have a lifetime maps plan. The How to update isn't as straight forward as should be.

At least for my update, I use a Windows program from Garmin called Garmin Express. Connect the GPS to computer and run the program. On my GPS there isn't enough room on the unit's memory so I have to use a blank (must be blank) SD card to install the new maps.

I used to get a notification that maps are out of date. Haven't seen one in years. I assumed maybe because of covid everything slowed down. Then I realized, the navigation to nearby places of my destinations wasn't working. So I went ahead and updated and now that's fixed.

My fishing boat has 4 GPS devices, a Minn Kota GPS enabled trolling motor, a Humminbird GPS unit at the helm with lake maps and side and down scan sonar, a Humminbird GPS unit at the bow with side and down scan sonar and a link to the trolling motor to navigate to waypoints, and ANOTHER GPS Garmin unit with live sonar so you can watch the fish NOT BITE your minnow or lure as well as a mapping features so you know where the finicky fish are. My Grandpa would be so disappointed!

As far as driving GPS units go, the after market specialty GPS units for RV's are far superior to any built in GPS systems in my opinion for large and tall vehicles. It is true however that for general automobile navigation, it's really hard to beat a smartphone with google maps!

Last edited:
Just got back from 3000 miles with our antique Garmin StreetPilot 2730 that we bought in 2005 to navigate the roads hidden by trees in NC.
It got really frustrating to use when we had to take a new route further south through Kansas to avoid the weekend snow. It wasn't aware of the "new" road alignments so I ended up shutting it off and using my phone. Needed something to find exits as there was heavy fog with the road signs coated in snow.

The new built-in nav on vehicles is really annoying, at least in the 2022 Ford Edge we rented in Sept for the same 3000 mile trip. If you zoom out to see 40ish miles for cross-country driving instead of 5-10 for in-town, the GPS display would automagically switch to "North Up" instead of "direction of travel up".

I have a Garmin Navi that is updated yearly with the latest maps. Out West I often drive in areas where I can go an hour or more with no phone data service. The Garmin is great for that.

Just got back from 3000 miles with our antique Garmin StreetPilot 2730 that we bought in 2005 to navigate the roads hidden by trees in NC.
It got really frustrating to use when we had to take a new route further south through Kansas to avoid the weekend snow. It wasn't aware of the "new" road alignments so I ended up shutting it off and using my phone. Needed something to find exits as there was heavy fog with the road signs coated in snow.

The new built-in nav on vehicles is really annoying, at least in the 2022 Ford Edge we rented in Sept for the same 3000 mile trip. If you zoom out to see 40ish miles for cross-country driving instead of 5-10 for in-town, the GPS display would automagically switch to "North Up" instead of "direction of travel up".

So you expect a 17 year old Garmin to guide you now, especially since the maps are probably as old as the unit! :D

If you are using your gps for mapping consider downloading the HERE app for your phone.

Their maps are used by most major gps providers and you can use it on your phone without another device. (it's the frugal move)

My current GPS situation is I have currently use a trusty, 3.5 inch Garmin nuvi 260. The only thing I do not like is the can't avoid roads/areas and the detour function is limited (must only do a detour about 1 mile away).

I've been looking at a used Garmin nuvi 57LM (LM for lifetime map updates). This is 5 inch, does have a better detour function (like can choose distance of 5 miles) and can custom set to avoid road or areas.

The nuvi 57LM also has more bells and whistles like the larger screen and lane assist and juncture (split screen display for junctures). Can get one for only about $30 on ebay then probably need an dash mount (don't like the window mounts and illegal in some states -- don't wish to take the chance).

My thought though is I might find the bells and whistles (even the larger screen) distracting.

So I contemplate.

I just log in to Garmin on my computer, connect my unit, and select "update". Takes about an hour or quicker on a faster bandwith service.
I just did a map update a few weeks ago. I have a lifetime maps plan. The How to update isn't as straight forward as should be.
That's not so bad. When I was using Garmin's, they charged for map updates (as much as $169 a pop), it took forever, and they were still always a step behind on waypoints.

Come to think of it, I still have a Garmin golf watch, and I get course updates through Connect periodically. They take forever to upload, but they are free. We're still getting free map updates for DW's '19 Accord Hybrid, but IIRC at some point they will want to charge us (not happening, we'll use Apple Maps from then on).

IME Apple and Google maps constantly update in the background, so they are very accurate and up to date. You don't need to consciously update, they just happen continuously, for free. So I use them exclusively these days. YMMV

Last edited:
That's not so bad. When I was using Garmin's, they charged for map updates, it took forever, and they were still always a step behind on waypoints.

My Garmin didn't come with map updates but I bought their Lifetime Map updates for $100. That was probably around 15 years ago, so I got my money's worth, I think.

I found out by trial and error that for my GPS the SD card needs to be totally blank before updating. That was frustrating as I'd try all night and no go. Why couldn't the software just give a warning of wiping the data and proceeding instead of trying and failing? But now I know.

My Garmin didn't come with map updates but I bought their Lifetime Map updates for $100. That was probably around 15 years ago, so I got my money's worth, I think.

I found out by trial and error that for my GPS the SD card needs to be totally blank before updating. That was frustrating as I'd try all night and no go. Why couldn't the software just give a warning of wiping the data and proceeding instead of trying and failing? But now I know.

I just looked at my Novi 1450 and started a map update. The SD card is in it from before. Maps are loading. I'm glad you started this thread as I am planning on a 3 week trip via car this Spring to visit friends and family.

I actually had two Nuvis, one was a 2559 that had the European maps loaded, and the other was a 2597 with North America. I used them both quite a lot on my travels and really liked them.

But when I got my current auto in 2018, it had such a good navigation system in it that the Garmins started gathering dust.

Then when I started using Google Maps (and especially Waze) on my phone, I realized I would never be going back to one of those gadgets, good as they are. So they went to Goodwill.

One small point: when I walk in a city (my favorite way to explore), I find Apple Maps to be far superior to Google.

I have a Garmin Navi that is updated yearly with the latest maps. Out West I often drive in areas where I can go an hour or more with no phone data service. The Garmin is great for that.

I live in rural Wyoming. There are so many dead spots (mountains, wide open spaces, etc) for cellphones that I would not depend just on a cellphone.

I live in rural Wyoming. There are so many dead spots (mountains, wide open spaces, etc) for cellphones that I would not depend just on a cellphone.

That's a common misperception. You can download a map area (even a very large one) to your phone in advance. I always do that when I travel.

Then, since your phone has a GPS receiver in it, you can use the maps just like you would if you had a cell signal.

That's a common misperception. You can download a map area (even a very large one) to your phone in advance. I always do that when I travel.

Then, since your phone has a GPS receiver in it, you can use the maps just like you would if you had a cell signal.

Thanks! I will have to try that on our next trip. I also still have a paper road atlas as there are many roads that are not navigable in the winter. Many GPSs still route people through those closed roads.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom