I Need a Newer GPS ... or Do I?

We have a Magellan 1412 GPS, what I do like besides the big screen, is the verbal directions as it talks.
It also somehow can tell traffic issues ahead and suggests alternative routes.
There is no subscription cost.

I've tried my phone with a downloaded map , and it was usable and pretty good for free.

I don't think I'll buy another one, as a phone seems pretty good these days. I used my phone in Barcelona while on the bus to track where we were located, as I was unfamiliar to the city.

Using a standalone GPS makes sense if one does not have Apple CarPlay on their car's display.

If one has this sort of capability, use the smartphone.

I still take my Garmin GPS with me for rental car trips. I buy cars that have it built in, although I’ve been seeing rumblings of car manufacturers looking to offload the maps entirely to driver’s connected phones. So we will see if built in navigation becomes a thing of the past. Right now, I don’t pay for unlimited data on my phone, so I don’t use Apple CarPlay in my car. When I’m traveling and not driving, I do use my phone and I buy more data as needed.

I still take my Garmin GPS with me for rental car trips. I buy cars that have it built in, although I’ve been seeing rumblings of car manufacturers looking to offload the maps entirely to driver’s connected phones. So we will see if built in navigation becomes a thing of the past. Right now, I don’t pay for unlimited data on my phone, so I don’t use Apple CarPlay in my car. When I’m traveling and not driving, I do use my phone and I buy more data as needed.

I prefer the separate ones, so I can use them on rentals. Therefore I think having one build into the car is a waste as they cost more than $300 and it's another thing to break, and I already have my separate one.

My BIL proudly told me a few years ago, he paid $1,500 to have one in his new car :eek:

So glad everything I use has GPS built in including our car.

We had several Garmins but eventually got rid of all of them. In Europe Google or Apple Maps became excellent. Google handles public transportation and even buckle routes very well. Apple catching up. We put up with phone GPS instructions for a few years, but because Apple Maps syncs to the watch and gave me wrist navigation info as well as verbal turn by turn instructions, it worked very well.

Hard to beat this built-in GPS display in the car - 17 inch center console touch screen display. (Video feed shown because right turn signal is on)

Doubt that big screen is going on long trips...LOL.

Since we have older cars (mine at least) the Phone GPS or a stand alone is the only game in town. And it works well.

I do like the idea of a stand alone one for possibly bigger screen and better Nav but there would be some shortcomings. Not sure there is enough there for me to pursue it.

I do agree that buying a built-in proprietary NAV from the car company just becomes an expensive proposition, since map tech seems to evolve much faster than the rest of the car. So the thing is expensive to start, becomes dated and is expensive to repair. Problems with newer cars are disproportionally tied to buggy dashboard tech so I try to keep that as minimalist as possible. Keep it in a phone, at least that has a life consistent with the life of nav technology.

I used my Lexus' built in GPS for a couple of years but I didn't like it and eventually would have had to pay for map upgrades. I used Apple Play to display my phone GPS in a couple of rentals and liked it so I bought the app for my car (it comes with other models). I added a bluetooth converter so I don't have to plug the phone in. Several of the maps are very good but I usually use Apple Maps because I like some of the features. I have occassionally run into brief data blind spots that cut the maps off. For a trip somewhere I thought coverage would be sketchy I would see if I could download Apple Map data. If not, I would download the Google Map data.

I assume there are apps like Car Play for Android and Google phones.

We have 2 Garmin's, first one originally didn't have lifetime maps but bought a lifetime update for about $25. 2nd one has lifetime maps and traffic updates that works well when there is heavy congestion. I update both about every 6 months. The original one is now about 15 years old

We have 2 Garmin's, first one originally didn't have lifetime maps but bought a lifetime update for about $25. 2nd one has lifetime maps and traffic updates that works well when there is heavy congestion. I update both about every 6 months. The original one is now about 15 years old

That's a great deal at $25 for lifetime updates. Lifetime updates for my GPS costed $100. I went ahead and ordered a used Garmin 57LM yesterday from ebay. Asking price (make offer type) was for about $20 but I got an accepted offer for only $15. Total after shipping and tax about $30. I did not a mount so bought one on Amazon for about $20.

Think I will end up having two. I do sort of need one to get past expressway ramp closings. Either way, think I'm going to keep an extra in the car's emergency toolbox just in case. May be overkill, but in the back of my mind I always have the fear that what if I'm in the middle of nowhere miles and miles away from home and the GPS goes out. The closest time to that happening was when I had that Street Pilot GPS that used a hard drive and would take several on/off powering to boot up.

I'll start of by saying, yes, I'm old school. Prefer using a GPS over a smart phone app as a GPS. So, no need to folks to say "just use a smartphone" :cool:. ....

I'm not going to say that, but I am curious as to why you prefer a dedicated device. Looking at your history, it seems a phone app (even w/o cell service, using downloaded, automatically updated maps in the background) answers every problem.

I've owned 3 GPSes (is that the plural?) in the past.

I'm somewhat grammatically challenged, but to be pedantic, I look at it as "GPS" is the "system" (it says so!), and the thing you use to access it is a "device". So I think the plural is "devices", as in " I've owned 3 GPS devices".

I own 3 FM radios. I don't say I own 3 FMs. In some cases the tech and the 'thing' are described the same (HDTV? So 3 HDTV's is used?), I guess it depends if the tech is an adjective or a noun?

PS: I almost forgot, a family member, a non-techie, described her GPS device as a "GPS machine" - her younger co-worker told her "don't say that!". :)

-ERD50

Last edited:
I'm not going to say that, but I am curious as to why you prefer a dedicated device. Looking at your history, it seems a phone app (even w/o cell service, using downloaded, automatically updated maps in the background) answers every problem.
If your car is old enough not to have Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, and you don't want to look down to navigate, you're trying to read a phone screen at a distance beyond arm's length.

My eyes aren't working for that right now, and I'm not crazy about wearing half-glasses or bifocals when I don't need a distance prescription. As I carry a phone in my front pants pocket, a phone with an almost 7" screen and a substantial case isn't practical.

I looked into buying a new head unit for my car, and a name brand with new surround that would still use my steering wheel controls and accommodate satellite radio would be over $1000 installed.

Something like this with a 7 or 8 inch screen starts looking practical.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/721063/pn/010-02470-00

Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If your car is old enough not to have Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, and you don't want to look down to navigate, you're trying to read a phone screen at a distance beyond arm's length.

My eyes aren't working for that right now, and I'm not crazy about wearing half-glasses or bifocals when I don't need a distance prescription. As I carry a phone in my front pants pocket, a phone with an almost 7" screen and a substantial case isn't practical.

I looked into buying a new head unit for my car, and a name brand with new surround that would still use my steering wheel controls and accommodate satellite radio would be over $1000 installed.

Something like this with a 7 or 8 inch screen starts looking practical.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/721063/pn/010-02470-00

Yeah, but OP is using a Nuvi 260, with a screen size of...

2.8"W x 2.1"H (7.2 x 5.4 cm); 3.5" diag (8.9 cm)

so that doesn't really apply to his situation of why he prefers a dedicated GPS device. In fact, a budget cell phone would have a larger screen, a tablet would be even larger. Again, I'm not trying to change his mind, I'm just curious as to the reasons why.

-ERD50

I drive a 2001 Silverado that came with no navigation system, just a standard AM/FM/CD/Cassette audio system. I looked into replacing this with a new head unit but as you found, the installed price was prohibitive. I then bought a Kenwood unit from Crutchfield and installed it myself so now I have a large display with built in Nav, Apple Carplay, Sirius Radio, bluetooth telephone connections, HD Radio, backup camera, connection to my dash camera and a host of other features. Installed it myself for about $400 which was much easier on my wallet. What a difference it makes.

I don't use the built in Nav as the 2 years of traffic has long expired and I won't pay the high cost of updating the maps so I just use Google Maps, Apple Maps or Waze which displays on the head unit.

DGF drives a 2002 Trailblazer also with a standard radio system. Two years after I installed my head unit, she backed into a telephone pole so I installed a new head unit in hers mainly for the backup camera but with all the same upgrade features as well. Cost was just under $500 as she had steering wheel controls to retain.

Received the new to me GPS today. Haven't had a chance to take outside yet but did go through some simulated routes and tried different settings. The GPS is definitely a keeper as does what I mainly bought for (custom avoids).

As for what will take a little getting used to (or what I prefer of my old) is the voice guidance. I can pick a voice that talks a little too much (in 1/2 mile turn left on mains street, then on 3rd stop sign turn left) or talks too little (turn left ... stay on road .. turn right).

I drive a 2001 Silverado that came with no navigation system, just a standard AM/FM/CD/Cassette audio system. I looked into replacing this with a new head unit but as you found, the installed price was prohibitive. I then bought a Kenwood unit from Crutchfield and installed it myself so now I have a large display with built in Nav, Apple Carplay, Sirius Radio, bluetooth telephone connections, HD Radio, backup camera, connection to my dash camera and a host of other features. Installed it myself for about $400 which was much easier on my wallet. What a difference it makes.
Unfortunately, since then, surrounds for head units are no longer standardized, and the required accessory list from Crutchfield runs about $225, even without a Satellite Radio module.

As for installing it myself, I have some issues with my hands that make repair work involving plastic panels, small screws, and tight spaces, difficult. Brute force is fine.

Still kicking the tires of my new to me Garmin GPS with lane assist.

One thing I noticed that has me wondering, often times guiding voice will say something like "Turn right at the stop sign" or 'Turn right at the stop light".

Does this mean the GPS is so synced up that it even knows if there's a stop sign or stop light there? If not, then I see possible confusion as I'd think changes can happen were a sign or light gets taken down. Or even worse, may the GPS just be guessing and assuming? I'd hope not.

An update, in case you not bored yet about my GPS situation :) ...

I took my 5 inch Garmin 57LM GPS for about a 10 mile drive to a grocery store that also went on the freeway.

There are definitely pros vs cons in considering switching from my older Nuvi 260.

Pros -

- Lane assist is helpful
- ability to avoid roads and areas (the reason why I was GPS shopping in the first place)
- quicker boot time
- can save entire trips (not just destination and one waypoint) on a route

Con -

- bigger screen not necessarily better (first thing I noticed, I can hardly see the screen due to sun glare. When I could see the screen, the fonts are so tiny, I think my old smaller GPS is more legible)
- GPS defaults to zoomed out a bit and doesn't show that many surrounding streets

The not able to see screen due to glare is a bit of a deal breaker. For my upcoming trip (in a few days), I'm sticking to my old nuvi 260.

If I want to use the newer one, I definitely first need a sun visor to block out the glare. Of what I may do (baseball analogy) is use my old, reliable nuvi 260 as my starting pitcher and only use the nuvi 57 LM to come in as relief should I encounter something like closed of ramps where I need a long detour.

I may treat the nuvi 57 LM like a more robust calculator. Most of the time a simple calculator will do. But if needed, bring out to do the job. I figure, in the 20 or so years I've owned my old GPS, I've only enclosed closed off interstate ramps about 3 times.

Last edited:
..... what I may do (baseball analogy) is use my old, reliable nuvi 260 as my starting pitcher and only use the nuvi 57 LM to come in as relief should I encounter something like closed of ramps where I need a long detour.

I may treat the nuvi 57 LM like a more robust calculator. Most of the time a simple calculator will do. But if needed, bring out to do the job. I figure, in the 20 or so years I've owned my old GPS, I've only enclosed closed off interstate ramps about 3 times.

Good idea. :D (40 posts later)

Nuvi owner here too and like the OP, I prefer the Nuvi to using my cellphone other than I have to admit that I used Waze recently on a trip with DS and was impressed with Waze.

I wouldn't do anything other than perhaps have Waze on as a supplement to the Nuvi when traveling through that trouble spot.

Good idea. :D (40 posts later)

Of course, I meant to say in 20 or so years, I've only "encountered" not "enclosed".

I think comparing my old Nuvi 260 and the newer Nuvi 57LM, the 260 actually is more accurate with streets. The 57LM called a street by the store an alley the 260 showed the correct street name.

Also, one area by a fast food place I frequent, then 57LM had a fit trying to get the turns correctly going something like "turn right, then left, then left, then right. :LOL:" Trying to be too precise. In reality as the GPS is having a fit, I'd would just looked up and seen the fast food sign.

GPS units have come such a long way.

I'll never forget about 20 years ago during a cross country trip when my TomTom unit got confused when a street was blocked by fire engines in a small town in Idaho. It told me to go east 482 miles, then make a U-turn. :LOL:

My current car's nav system comes out with a map update nearly once a month, and it's simple to download it into the car. In nearly five years it has hardly ever failed me.

I'm in the process of getting a 3D printed shade for the Garmin nuvi 57LM.

I'm plan on using my old nuvi 260 as my gamer but the process of getting a custom shade could be fun :popcorn:.

GPS units have come such a long way.

I'll never forget about 20 years ago during a cross country trip when my TomTom unit got confused when a street was blocked by fire engines in a small town in Idaho. It told me to go east 482 miles, then make a U-turn. :LOL:

So what's the problem? By the time you got back the fire engines would have cleared the scene.:angel:

So what's the problem? By the time you got back the fire engines would have cleared the scene.:angel:

Well, you're right of course. But there is a good reason a GPS will show you a warning when it starts up to use your common sense instead of blindly following its directions. Haven't there been quite a few stories of people driving into lakes and things because they trusted the gadget more than their own eyes? :facepalm:

I'm an outlier as I don't like Waze.

We stopped using independent GPS units after finding out that Garmin's "lifetime maps" meant ONLY through the model lifetime. Once they come out with new models, they can and do drop older ones, so there were no 'upgrades' to download. From some of the folks here, it sounds like they have stopped doing that, but too late for us. We're not going back. The screen in our car is bigger and easier to read for us visually imperfect folks ;)

The built-in NAV in our car isn't perfect, but I like it overall and my spouse prefers it.

However, these days new car buyers should always ask the service dept. how map updates are handled, and how much they cost. Some car companies charge way too much - literally hundreds of $$$ - to upgrade the built-in NAV map with newer s/w, plus the cost of labor!

Ford and I think one or two other companies, have switched to Waze to eliminate the need for any proprietary upgrades.

Back
Top Bottom