iPad Pro or Air2?

Mrs scrapr has just today mentioned she wants a tablet for when she is doing her chemo. Several 3-4 hours at a time. I tried to point out the advantages of the Samsung devices. (lower cost....did i say that out loud?)

Her bestie is saying ipad so she can sync up with her phone.

So....ipad it is I guess ;)

Similar "I want an iPad" story here. I bought her a looks-and-works-like-new refurbished iPad (gen 4) for $200 and she loves it.

If you don't need the latest and greatest you can save some money.

I was browsing E bay. I am waiting for the verdict then probably order it on E bay w/fast shipping. If I am lucky she won't notice. But her bestie is close to one of the Apple stores. :mad:

Then I will have to be tech support to set things up the way she wants them. She was complaining her Kindle Fire didn't have Netflix, So I put that on there this afternoon

Based on your original requirements the pro is overkill

Either and air2 refurb or new iPad current model should be plenty. Save the extra charges and use phone tethering for rare times when u can’t get WiFi

Mrs scrapr has just today mentioned she wants a tablet for when she is doing her chemo. Several 3-4 hours at a time. I tried to point out the advantages of the Samsung devices. (lower cost....did i say that out loud?)

Her bestie is saying ipad so she can sync up with her phone.

So....ipad it is I guess ;)

Happy wife, happy life, especially since she's going through chemo. Buy her whatever she wants!

Happy wife, happy life, especially since she's going through chemo. Buy her whatever she wants!

She always gets what she wants. She is really good about buying "things" Did you know I bought her a couple of special spreader knives for our anniversary? Yeah, me either. :LOL:

don't sweat the small stuff

She always gets what she wants. She is really good about buying "things" Did you know I bought her a couple of special spreader knives for our anniversary? Yeah, me either. :LOL:

don't sweat the small stuff

[emoji23]

Similar "I want an iPad" story here. I bought her a looks-and-works-like-new refurbished iPad (gen 4) for $200 and she loves it.

If you don't need the latest and greatest you can save some money.

Just wanted to offer a word of caution about buying older iPads. Apple hobbles older devices on a rolling basis when they release new versions of iOS each year. For example, my iPad 3 has not had an iOS update in nearly 2 years now and is stuck on iOS 9.3. Most apps still work, but some don't, and many new apps won't install because they require a more recent version of iOS or a more recent iPad device. I recently tried to install a very commonly used ad-blocker app for Chrome and/or Safari on my iPad, but it refused to install due to my outdated iOS and iPad itself. So just know that some apps—and more and more each year—will be unavailable to you if you buy an older iPad.

What is happening is that Apple is requiring 64-bit applications on the newer Ones.

So older apps. won't run on iOS 11 and older iPads won't run iOS 11.

What is happening is that Apple is requiring 64-bit applications on the newer Ones.

So older apps. won't run on iOS 11 and older iPads won't run iOS 11.

This is true for iOS 11, but the larger issue of device obsolescence still holds due to Apple's yearly iOS releases that only support the most recent few generations of devices. My iPad 3 won't run any app that requires iOS 10, even though 10 was not a "64-bit only" OS. My guess is that iOS 12, when it's released next year, will drop support for the iPad Air even though it's a 64-bit device that should easily be able to handle it. And then all those people with Airs (even recently purchased, refurbished ones) will begin to ponder the idea of upgrading to a newer device, especially as more and more apps start to require iOS 12 or higher.

Sure, there's some planned obsolescence, an attempt to nudge you towards new purchase.

But iPad 3 came out over 5 years ago. Part of it is that in software development, limiting the number of supported devices streamlines development and testing.

There are no laws about how long a device must be supported. Apple does better than most as far as providing software support for years.

But even they have to draw a line at some point.

Apple does leave older devices behind as it adds more features to new OSes that require certain hardware support.

Sometimes it's because of processor features (64-bit mode), often it's graphics processor related, and even encryption hardware support.

That being said, the "recent" switch to 64-bit only in iOS 11 leaves many older iOS devices behind. The iPhone 5, 5c and older and the iPad's before Air and the original iPad mini will never work with iOS 11 or later.

I'm not sure I'd describe this as "Apple hobbles older devices". It's more a desire to keep moving forward to (arguably) producing the most advanced devices they can. If they ever stop doing that, sell all your Apple stock...

My present iPad 2 uses OS 9.3.5, and says, "Your software is up to date". Translation might be, "Your extremely out-of-date device just can't handle iOS 11, sorry kiddo!". :LOL:

My new iPad will be in my hands soon, though, and wow, these Black Friday sale prices on iPads are terrific. As much as I have complained about Apple products' prices, I take it back this time. And the 2017 iPad sounds just right for me considering my fairly modest needs and usage.

This purchase was pretty much in the category of frivolous discretionary purchases rather than needs. I haven't spent as much this year as in prior years, and I am getting older by leaps and bounds. My nestegg is also growing by leaps and bounds with the market boom. I know I can't take it with me, so it seems logical to buy the 2017 iPad with some of it.

And the 2017 iPad sounds just right for me considering my fairly modest needs and usage.

Sounds like a wise choice, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years to come, just like I did with my iPad 3 for many years... and still do, to some degree. I would expect a 2017 model to be fully supported for all new iOS releases for about 4 years and still be quite usable for several years after that in a limited capacity.

I'm actually considering picking up an iPad Pro to replace my 3rd gen model (from 2012) when they release the new, latest-and-greatest version sometime next summer. I'm hoping for an "iPad Pro X" with a beautiful OLED screen. :D

OLED would be awesome but not counting on it.

Looks like they're offering an attractive price on the iPad Pro for BF.

I already bit on a cellular model a couple of months ago. B&H had about an $80 discount at the time.

I bought the big IPad Pro shortly after it was introduced. I read the paper, surf the net, write and watch movies on it. Did I need the big one? A good question but when it comes to watching movies this baby is pricey and awesome. But it is too heavy for some especially when you add the BYRDGE keyboard. The apple keyboard is my opinion an inferior product.

My first generation IPad slipped from my hands when we were first visited the college DD would attend. I landed perfectly as to make the on off switch useless. I bought the next generation with points from using our CC as a transaction device. Never a balance but lots of charges... In a couple of years it got pretty tired. Hence the jump to a $1,000 big boy.

I am not a toy person and spending a grand is painful but I expect to be buying the next generation in the next year. I expect that says it all.

Back
Top Bottom