Laptop issue, might need a new one

+1 on easysurfer's idea of using a Linux Live CD to validate the hardware.

So easy to do, as long as one has access to another PC or laptop.
+2. Actually OP wouldn't even need another PC/laptop to do it since his laptop doesn't freeze for ~40 minutes. Plenty of time to create a boot USB from the ISO file. I use rufus to create the boot usb https://rufus.akeo.ie/ but there are many others. It really would seem much simpler to boot from a linux live session and keep it running for the 40 + minutes to see if the laptop freezes. If it does not then sure, reinstall windows 10 and do all the re configuring, reloading etc but why reload win 10 if it turns out to be a hardware problem. And anywho, it might be a win 10 problem with his particular configuration since he didn't have the problem before.

Since problem started a few days ago, any chance an automatic Win 10 update could have clobbered something? Would be interesting to look at an update history from the past several days.

But first, I'd suggest the boot from linux live session to narrow down whether software or hardware issue.

Last edited:
+2. Actually OP wouldn't even need another PC/laptop to do it since his laptop doesn't freeze for ~40 minutes. Plenty of time to create a boot USB from the ISO file. I use rufus to create the boot usb https://rufus.akeo.ie/ but there are many others. It really would seem much simpler to boot from a linux live session and keep it running for the 40 + minutes to see if the laptop freezes. If it does not then sure, reinstall windows 10 and do all the re configuring, reloading etc but why reload win 10 if it turns out to be a hardware problem. And anywho, it might be a win 10 problem with his particular configuration since he didn't have the problem before.
The OP is a woman. She even posted her photo once.

Showing off my "superior" memory... :)

I would:
1) Run a disk check. After setting this, system will reboot, and do the check before loading windows.
2) Turn off graphics acceleration. This may be a minor challenge, finding out how to do it with specific model and configuration.
3) Live CD sounds good. Try to have some app open that will run continuously, and stress the system.

Since problem started a few days ago, any chance an automatic Win 10 update could have clobbered something? Would be interesting to look at an update history from the past several days.

But first, I'd suggest the boot from linux live session to narrow down whether software or hardware issue.
I checked recent updates a few days ago. There was nothing from Win10. I deleted a couple noncritial recent updates/downloads hoping that any issue they might have caused would disappear. However, the freezing issue still occured.

I would:
1) Run a disk check. After setting this, system will reboot, and do the check before loading windows.
2) Turn off graphics acceleration. This may be a minor challenge, finding out how to do it with specific model and configuration.
3) Live CD sounds good. Try to have some app open that will run continuously, and stress the system.
This^ is today's plan. Thx.

omni

This^ is today's plan. Thx.

omni
Computer has been in chkdsk mode (before Windows losds) for quite a while...stuck at "Scanning and repairing drive (C:): 10% complete" for about 30 min. or so, which leads me to believe it is in frozen mode. I restarted it twice, using the power button. Both times it restarts in this same mode, and in a couple of minutes gets hung up at this same 10% spot.

Not sure what to do now. How do I exit/ abort this?

Computer has been in chkdsk mode (before Windows losds) for quite a while...stuck at "Scanning and repairing drive (C:): 10% complete" for about 30 min. or so, which leads me to believe it is in frozen mode. I restarted it twice, using the power button. Both times it restarts in this same mode, and in a couple of minutes gets hung up at this same 10% spot.

Not sure what to do now. How do I exit/ abort this?
There's a short interval where you can hit a key and abort the chkdsk.
How to cancel ChkDsk in Windows 8/10
You really should let this complete, though. Maybe let it run all night, to see if it repairs the problem.

We just bought 2 X new Apple Mac Books this year......just sayin..... Been using Mac's for the last 15 + years and they work.... just sayin....

All this sounds to me like your hard drive has some bad sectors and windows freezes when it encounters them. CHKDSK should be able to evaluate the locations and "possibly" repair them.... But, maybe not as sometimes, bad sectors are unrepairable. If you know the maker of the drive (open the small cover and look at the drive), you can download their "drive tools" and run their check software from a flash drive.

When I had my computer repair business, I had a complete set of drive tools from all the drive manufacturers, but that was a decade ago.

If you can't figure this out, bring the laptop to a good repair shop (NOT GEEK SQUAD).

Thanks. I will let it run for a long time, then.
(Q: how can I tell if the laptop might have frozen while it is in this mode?)
Don't have an easy answer for you. But I would let it run over night, and see what materializes.
Your notebook might have a disk activity light, but I'm not sure that is any indication that the OS is doing any real work.
We're not yet sure if you've encountered a real disk or file problem which diskchk can fix. It can take a very long time.
This reminds me of past problems with OS updates, which can happen with any computer. The amount of information being transferred is huge, and a momentary glitch means a file can be corrupt, or the volume information is wrong.
It is also possible that the drive is failing, has bad sector(s), etc.

Thanks aja and target. Will leave laptop on as long as I can stand it (overnight) and see if chkdsk repairs itself.

I took a photo of the drive when I opened the case yesterday. Hopefully, if still needed, I can find drive manufacturer's check software tool and run from flash drive.

As to the recommendation of am Apple laptop. I greatly dislike Apple products, so that suggestion is off the table. [emoji16]

omni

I'll try one more time...before anything else, you should really try running off a Live CD.

If that runs fine, that would tell you so much.

I would buy a SSD and replace the hard drive and reinstall Windows. As long as you are sure the hardware is not bad a i5 should be fine, especially with a SSD.

We just bought 2 X new Apple Mac Books this year......just sayin..... Been using Mac's for the last 15 + years and they work.... just sayin....

Well OTOH, we have had Lenovo laptops for close to 20 years and never had a problem... at the same time my uncle had one Apple desktop that blew through 3 hard drives.... just sayin....

Thanks aja and target. Will leave laptop on as long as I can stand it (overnight) and see if chkdsk repairs itself.

I took a photo of the drive when I opened the case yesterday. Hopefully, if still needed, I can find drive manufacturer's check software tool and run from flash drive.

As to the recommendation of am Apple laptop. I greatly dislike Apple products, so that suggestion is off the table. [emoji16]
As luck would have it, last year I was asked to help with a 4-5 year old Apple Mac. The problem was caused by Apple putting an IOS update on a computer that could not handle it, due to insufficient RAM. Of course the owner kept rebooting and crashing until giving up.
What most do not believe is that a drive has an expected life. All drives eventually fail.
I wouldn't drill holes in that as a fix, either. You can probably recover as much data as necessary.

Latest update.

Ran the CHKDSK before windows....after 7 hrs it stopped and appeared to have completed, as I could restart computer without it getting hung up within the chkdsk process.

Further I downloaded EaseUS...and ran some check disk operations...came up with 0 bad sectors.

omni

Which OS are you on? Win 10? Did you upgrade from Win 7? On my current Dell, awhile back, I tried upgrading to Win 10 (from Win 7). Computer would seem to run fine for awhile, then would get a BSOD randomly. I finally pinpointed the cause as a graphics chip on the onboard PC not compatible with Win 10, and thus the crash. Not saying your problem is the same, but if you upgraded from Win 7 to 10, might be something to consider.

I still suggest you use software to burn and ISO to a LiveCD (or to bootable USB if that's easier for you) and use the LiveCD to just browse for an hour or two. If that works without freezing, I'm betting OS related and not hardware. As the monitoring you've done doesn't seem like a heat issue.

Here you go, you can download the current iso (and burn the iso to CD then just browse for a few hours and see what happens:

JustBrowsing LiveCD :: Home

Here is link to the current iso: justbrowsing_20150220.iso

Thx.

I downloaded the current iso from link above to USB. Tried running it. Got the "Can't be mounted from image files or media that isn't formatted with NTFS file system"

omni

Thx.

I downloaded the current iso from link above to USB. Tried running it. Got the "Can't be mounted from image files or media that isn't formatted with NTFS file system"

omni

Did you use software to make the USB bootable? Sounds like you didn't.

Though bootable CD not as fast, easier to create, IMO, for those not familiar with making a USB bootable.

You may want to try to create a bootable CD instead.

If you don't already have iso burning software, try one of these:

Top 3 Free ISO Burners for Windows 10/8/7

Did you use software to make the USB bootable? Sounds like you didn't.

Though bootable CD not as fast, easier to create, IMO, for those not familiar with making a USB bootable.

You may want to try to create a bootable CD instead.

If you don't already have iso burning software, try one of these:

Top 3 Free ISO Burners for Windows 10/8/7

Thanks, that was the issue. :flowers:

Iso CD now burned. :)

omni

Thanks, that was the issue. :flowers:

Iso CD now burned. :)

omni

Great. Now you can boot with the Live CD you just created. Browse around for a few hours or so to see if you encounter any problems like the laptop stopping as before. If not, then the issue points to something probably system (software) related and not hardware related.

Last edited:
Just recall that there are software to stress-test the CPU as well as other parts of the system with Windows.

There are software for the same purpose under Linux, such as "Stress-ng". Search the Web for them.

I encountered a similar problem as described in the OP that turned out to be a failing hard drive. These large capacity 2 1/2" mechanical drives are quite delicate with several stacked disks and a pair of read/write heads for each disk on the control arm. I was able to clone the failing drive to a SSD, solving the problem.

Back
Top Bottom