Laptop issue, might need a new one

Based on your description of "crapped out", it's probably not an overheating issue. Nor a battery or power supply issue. I'd try booting up into safe mode (with networking) and use the PC that way for a while. If no issue after a few hours, then there's something causing it to hang. You can troubleshoot in various ways, but I always start with a clean install of Windows, which will usually eliminate the problem and speed things up as well. Recently, I had a desktop PC that would hang (crap out) periodically, and fixed it with a clean install of Windows 7.
Thanks...makes sense.

I had most files copied over to thumb drive, and then it crapped out/hung up once again.

I turned it off. Will finish copying remaining files before I
I try safe mode, etc.

Btw, I am now noticing that the fan has not been running while I've been copying files over to thumb drive.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Okay. I still like the idea suggested before about running in safe mode. Alternatively, you can run from a live CD. If your laptop doesn't freeze running under either of these, once again points towards the system and not hardware.
Not sure what you mean "run from a live CD". Please clarify.

Thanks...makes sense.

I had most files copied over to thumb drive, and then it crapped out/hung up once again.

I try safe mode, etc.

Btw, I am now noticing that the fan has not been running while I've been copying files over to thumb drive.

Good luck and I hope you get all your files backed up! Hoping for the best.

Thanks...makes sense.

I try safe mode, etc.

OK, I booted up in safe mode.
Please bear witg me, as I'm over my head having never worked in Safe mode.

Although I chose the 5/F5 networking option, when I finally got signed in, I am unable to connect to my WiFi network.

I tried rebooting the router, etc and running the troubleshooter, but nothing has worked. Can I run Safe mode and be in WiFi mode...or do I need a cable connection

To kill time, I was randomly clicking on various files I have on my desktop. Several /peehaps all of them came up with error messages...one is a MS Word document...when I click on it , I get "Office. Something went wrong. We couldn't start your program. Please try starting it aga in. If it won't start, try repairing Office from 'Programs and Features' in the Control Panel." Do I need an internet connection to open files I created that are resident on my computer?

An i5 with 8gb should work fine. Things I would do. Get a can of air and see if you can blow out the insides for dust. I would do a clean install of Windows using the media creation tool to a USB drive, after backing up everything. Reinstall all your programs.

An i5 with 8gb should work fine. Things I would do. Get a can of air and see if you can blow out the insides for dust. I would do a clean install of Windows using the media creation tool to a USB drive, after backing up everything. Reinstall all your programs.
I have a can of air. Are you suggesting merely blowing thru all openings in the case or popping the case open?

Based on your description of "crapped out", it's probably not an overheating issue. Nor a battery or power supply issue. I'd try booting up into safe mode (with networking) and use the PC that way for a while. If no issue after a few hours, then there's something causing it to hang. You can troubleshoot in various ways, but I always start with a clean install of Windows, which will usually eliminate the problem and speed things up as well. Recently, I had a desktop PC that would hang (crap out) periodically, and fixed it with a clean install of Windows 7.

I agree with this course of action. Safe mode. I think, however, that it maybe a bad memory module. If safe mode works, then it’s software. If it doesn’t, I’d see if you could run a memory test. If it’s just a memory stick, easy fix.

If you’re inclined, I can say that a laptop today is cheap, especially if you primarily use it for web surfing, email . . .

If you’re inclined, I can say that a laptop today is cheap, especially if you primarily use it for web surfing, email . . .
This is so true. I hope you can find a solution, omni550, but if not then at some point you may need to do this. I don't know if you are at that point yet, or if you want to try other possible solutions first.

Thank goodness you have backed everything up! At least you know that, no matter what, you have all of your files.

Not sure what you mean "run from a live CD". Please clarify.

Live CD, is a CD that boots and runs on own independent of the system on the hard drive.

A live CD (also live DVD, live disc, or live operating system) is a complete bootable computer installation including operating system which runs directly from a CD-ROM or similar storage device into a computer's memory, rather than loading from a hard disk drive. It allows users to run an operating system for any purpose without installing it or making any changes to the computer's configuration. Live CDs can run on a computer without secondary storage, such as a hard disk drive, or with a corrupted hard disk drive or file system, allowing data recovery. Many Linux distributions make ISO images available for burning to CD or DVD.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD

For Windows, Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (UBCD4Win) is such a CD. From there can boot with that CD just use that for some time to see if the laptop stops again. If not, then points again to the problem as OS related and not hardware.

Linux systems also have live CDs. You'd burn an ISO file, to a CD or DVD and boot from that. Don't get too curious and go installing, but you can just use the browser and browse for about 30 minutes to see if the laptop stops.

Just to clarify, no problem running a linux live CD on a Windows machine to just use the browser from the live CD.

Last edited:
Well, I'm back on my laptop until it freezes/stops again.

I backed up my files, documents, photos, etc. onto a thumb drive.

I started in Safe Mode. I could not get the WiFi network to work in Safe Mode, so it was like being in a very passive mode. I poked around my files...any Office files could not be opened. I was able to watch a video (without sound for an unknown reason), etc. The computer did not freeze for the 90 minutes I was in Safe Mode...but the load on it was very light.

I made a Windows 10 recovery disk.

I started making a mirror image, but the computer froze in the midst of this, as there would be many DVDs created.....so I was unsuccessful.

I tried blowing compressed air through all the holes I could see in the case...very little dust came out. But based on photos I've seen, sometimes the dust accumulates in certain internal areas and won't hardly budge.

Now what?

omni

With the Win 10 recovery disk, were you trying to make a back up of your system?

Thanks for the many thoughts and suggestions.

I did load Speccy which shows me that as the CPU temp approaches 142F the fan kicks on. Currently it's at 105F.

I ran Troubleshooter from the Settings page. "Run Blue Screen" came up with nothing but the troubleshooting of "Hardware and Devices" said it "made some changes that should fix the problem" and to restart. <-Which I have done.

Let's see if that helps. Stay tuned.

omni

OK, I booted up in safe mode.
Please bear witg me, as I'm over my head having never worked in Safe mode.

Although I chose the 5/F5 networking option, when I finally got signed in, I am unable to connect to my WiFi network.

I tried rebooting the router, etc and running the troubleshooter, but nothing has worked. Can I run Safe mode and be in WiFi mode...or do I need a cable connection

To kill time, I was randomly clicking on various files I have on my desktop. Several /peehaps all of them came up with error messages...one is a MS Word document...when I click on it , I get "Office. Something went wrong. We couldn't start your program. Please try starting it aga in. If it won't start, try repairing Office from 'Programs and Features' in the Control Panel." Do I need an internet connection to open files I created that are resident on my computer?

Well, I'm back on my laptop until it freezes/stops again.

I backed up my files, documents, photos, etc. onto a thumb drive.

I started in Safe Mode. I could not get the WiFi network to work in Safe Mode, so it was like being in a very passive mode. I poked around my files...any Office files could not be opened. I was able to watch a video (without sound for an unknown reason), etc. The computer did not freeze for the 90 minutes I was in Safe Mode...but the load on it was very light...

Most stuff won't work in safe mode. But if you booted into safe mode with networking, you should be able to plug a cat5 cable into a router and run a browser as normal. Do that for at least a couple hours. If it still hangs in safe mode, then it's likely a hardware issue and you can decide whether to troubleshoot or get a new machine. If not, then it's some kind of software/driver/system/configuration issue. Again, you can troubleshoot, but the easiest fix is to reinstall a clean version of the OS.

Most stuff won't work in safe mode. But if you booted into safe mode with networking, you should be able to plug a cat5 cable into a router and run a browser as normal. Do that for at least a couple hours. If it still hangs in safe mode, then it's likely a hardware issue and you can decide whether to troubleshoot or get a new machine. If not, then it's some kind of software/driver/system/configuration issue. Again, you can troubleshoot, but the easiest fix is to reinstall a clean version of the OS.
Thx for explanation and clarification. I will try running in safe mode connected by a cat5 cable to router and see how that goes.

Speccy just tells you what the configuration (policy) setting is. Won't monitor the fan's operation, as another utility would. FYI, there is usually a way to force the fan to run continuously (in BIOS or in system setting). If you do that, and the system freezes, then you've eliminated the fan as issue.

Of course you need to listen to fan noise, and get a better sense of when fan is On/OFF. At this computer's age, there may be dust lodged in there pretty heavily. Can spend a lot of time on flaky computer issues.

Speccy just tells you what the configuration (policy) setting is. Won't monitor the fan's operation, as another utility would. FYI, there is usually a way to force the fan to run continuously (in BIOS or in system setting). If you do that, and the system freezes, then you've eliminated the fan as issue.

Of course you need to listen to fan noise, and get a better sense of when fan is On/OFF. At this computer's age, there may be dust lodged in there pretty heavily. Can spend a lot of time on flaky computer issues.

Fan seems to run very little...only when Speccy shows CPU temp spike at 140F or above...and it quickly cools CPU down to approx. 130F and then the fan stops running..yet the CPU temp remains nominal.

Speccy shows it had been running an average of 131F for CPU. Today I've been aiming a small fan directly at the fan opening on the case, and the Speccy CPU temps are considerably lower, averaging around 118F earlier, and now (when I just checked) around 100F.

CPU specs online say an Core i5 CPU operating temp range is 50-60C = 122-140F .

Laptop is still shutting off after ~42 minutes though. :(

-------------

I still need to find a CAT5 cable and run it in Safe Mode while hooked up to the router.

omni

(And they wonder what retirees do all day....:LOL:)

Last edited:
You may want to run a cpu temperature monitoring program. Then take note to see if the cpu temp climbs before computer stops and if so, at about what temp.

14 Best Free CPU Temperature Monitor Software For Windows

I still think the issue is more OS related than hardware.

I've been monitoring the CPU temp graphically on Speccy...and there's not been a spike before the unit freezes/shuts down.

I've also been running an small external fan on it today...resulting in lower CPU temps, but it still freezes/shut down.

OS might well be the issue.

omni

I've been monitoring the CPU temp graphically on Speccy...and there's not been a spike before the unit freezes/shuts down.

I've also been running an small external fan on it today...resulting in lower CPU temps, but it still freezes/shut down.

OS might well be the issue.

omni

Which OS are you on? Win 10? Did you upgrade from Win 7? On my current Dell, awhile back, I tried upgrading to Win 10 (from Win 7). Computer would seem to run fine for awhile, then would get a BSOD randomly. I finally pinpointed the cause as a graphics chip on the onboard PC not compatible with Win 10, and thus the crash. Not saying your problem is the same, but if you upgraded from Win 7 to 10, might be something to consider.

I still suggest you use software to burn and ISO to a LiveCD (or to bootable USB if that's easier for you) and use the LiveCD to just browse for an hour or two. If that works without freezing, I'm betting OS related and not hardware. As the monitoring you've done doesn't seem like a heat issue.

Here you go, you can download the current iso (and burn the iso to CD then just browse for a few hours and see what happens:

JustBrowsing LiveCD :: Home

Here is link to the current iso: justbrowsing_20150220.iso

Last edited:
+1 on easysurfer's idea of using a Linux Live CD to validate the hardware.

So easy to do, as long as one has access to another PC or laptop.

I have told about this story before with my laptop. Win 7 messed itself up with the updates, and caused itself to run something nonstop like a dog chasing its tail.

The CPU ran hot, and the fan ran on high speed all the time. "Windoze" spent so much CPU time doing some nonsensical tasks that the keyboard response got slower and slower to the point of it being non-usable.

I ran various virus checkers and they did not find anything. Finally, found a Win 7 rollup update that I had to specifically download and install, and that fixed the problem.

A short time after that, I had to open up the laptop to replace the fan. "Windoze" wore that fan out!

Fan seems to run very little...only when Speccy shows CPU temp spike at 140F or above...and it quickly cools CPU down to approx. 130F and then the fan stops running..yet the CPU temp remains nominal.

Speccy shows it had been running an average of 131F for CPU. Today I've been aiming a small fan directly at the fan opening on the case, and the Speccy CPU temps are considerably lower, averaging around 118F earlier, and now (when I just checked) around 100F.

CPU specs online say an Core i5 CPU operating temp range is 50-60C = 122-140F .

Laptop is still shutting off after ~42 minutes though. :(

-------------

I still need to find a CAT5 cable and run it in Safe Mode while hooked up to the router.

omni

(And they wonder what retirees do all day....:LOL:)
It helps to be precise. For example, what is your OS? Did you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10? Did this problem start recently, like after the recent Win 10 update?

What Firefox version? Is Firefox open when this happens?

Are you getting a frozen screen, or does computer shut off? Or both? You've mentioned both, but it helps to isolate things if there is consistent response.

It helps to be precise. For example, what is your OS? Did you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10? Did this problem start recently, like after the recent Win 10 update?

What Firefox version? Is Firefox open when this happens?

Are you getting a frozen screen, or does computer shut off? Or both? You've mentioned both, but it helps to isolate things if there is consistent response.

Laptop is Toshiba Satellite L55-B5276 (Intel Core i5, 8GB memory, 1TB HD)

OS is Win10 64-bit (upgraded in summer of 2016 from original Win8.1)

Firefox 60.0.1 (I also have IE installed and used it as an alternative to Win10, but the same freezing issue occurred wiht IE)

Problem started a few days ago. Yes, Firefox was open (except for when I trialed IE). Everything was running fine and it simply froze...the display was on the last things I'd been looking at. I could move the cursor...but I couldn't click on anything to activate...and there was a blue spinning wheel on the screen. I had to depress the power button manually for a while until the unit shut off. I've now been timing it...it typically takes 40-45 minutes before it freezes. It never shuts itself off...it only freezes.

I've been monitoring internal temps with Speccy...CPU seems to be fine...when it occasionally hits 140F, the fan kicks on and quickly brings the temp back to 120--130-ish. Storage temps are 88-90F.

I blew out the dust with canned air yesterday. A tiny amount came out....I only saw it as I had a beam of light pointed right at the computer.

I just finished opening up the laptop's case, and was surprised to see how clean the interior is. I used the canned air some more, simply as I had the case open. The dustiest area was the interior of the hinges holding up the display, and they weren't all that bad.

I tried running it with a CAT5 cable to the router in safe mode with networking , but it would not recognize the network. (Googling indicated some other folks had had a similar problem with not being able to connect when in safe mode). It does stay on longer. In fact, I aborted that after about an hour (= about 20 minutes longer than when it freezes when in normal mode).

I ran Malwarebytes and FixMyPC. They found nothing major amiss, They did a little PUP clean-up, etc.

I'm still planning running a clean install on Win10 from a live CD (per an earlier post with links <--thanks!)

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. I'm learning a lot. :)

omni

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom