Mac Book Air Fan Running

More user testing...definitely just this site, fan starts after a few minutes and stops when I close down the site. Guess I need to learn more about ad blockers......

More user testing...definitely just this site, fan starts after a few minutes and stops when I close down the site. Guess I need to learn more about ad blockers......

Have you tried clearing your cache for your web browser? I've seen a corrupt cache do some pretty weird things that I would not have expected. It kind of makes sense if it is only one site doing it (that doesn't seem to do it on other people's computers).

I think it is possible that some link in the cache to an image is broke, and it just spins and uses CPU cycles trying to retrieve some non-existent image, or is misdirected to load some super huge image?

I a somewhat related situation, DDs MacBook was running the fan and draining battery. I found it was trying to connect to a printer back at school, and CPU was at 100%. Not sure why that would burn CPU cycles, but when I deleted that printer from the list, it all went quiet.

Evidently ER.org ramps up CPU usage to a level that turns cooling on. You’ve probably found this already https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295.

Can't hurt I guess, but I don't see how the power management system would be triggered by a single web site that doesn't seem to bog down other people's computers.

-ERD50

Just ran into it this afternoon.

“This webpage was reloaded because it was using significant energy.” from Safari.

I had been reading this site and walked away from it for a few minutes.

^^^^ I would think that that indicates it is not an ad problem, since once loaded, ads are probably static. It is perhaps a javascript loop problem, due to the ancient (it is over two major version behind) version of the vBulletin.

I would like to see the mods reply explaining why they are using unsupported/outdated software for the sight.

Note also, that the fan on my M1 Macs (both mini and air) never come on.

If you're not doing anything that requires a lot of computing power. It's most likely because of your strength. Macbooks like to work solely with their power adaptor. They don't like it if the power adapter is changed, therefore it becomes hot and the fan keeps running.

I finally got around to looking at this on my M1 MacBook Air with Activity Monitor. Running Safari with just this page open, it is using 254MB and 86% of one CPU. I run an adblocker too. Hardly anything to worry about on an M1 with 8GB and 8 cores, and the fan never comes on, but it really should not be this much.

For comparison, cnn.com (a complicated, graphics-rich page) is 360MB and 8% CPU.

I finally got around to looking at this on my M1 MacBook Air with Activity Monitor. Running Safari with just this page open, it is using 254MB and 86% of one CPU. I run an adblocker too. Hardly anything to worry about on an M1 with 8GB and 8 cores, and the fan never comes on, but it really should not be this much.

For comparison, cnn.com (a complicated, graphics-rich page) is 360MB and 8% CPU.

Why would this website use more energy than a website like CNN does? I have a 2 year old MacBook Air and the fan comes on every time I am in this website after a few minutes. Does not happen on any other website. I have tried other browsers and it happens on other browsers also. It is so irritating that I am not coming on this website very much. I am going to Bogleheads instead.

Why would this website use more energy than a website like CNN does? I have a 2 year old MacBook Air and the fan comes on every time I am in this website after a few minutes. Does not happen on any other website. I have tried other browsers and it happens on other browsers also. It is so irritating that I am not coming on this website very much. I am going to Bogleheads instead.

My fan is running right now. I am lazy and do not want to mess with an ad blocker on what seems to be a new laptop. 2 years or less old. So I just come on until the fan bugs me too much, but it is certainly only this website.

I've experiened similar at various web sites, and turning off javascript always solved it.

I've experiened similar at various web sites, and turning off javascript always solved it.

Thank You! That seems to have fixed the problem. I turned off javascript on my MacBook Air and I have now been on this Forum for 15 minutes or so and have not heard the fan running. So fingers crossed, maybe that fixed it.

Now my question is--if I just leave javascript off will it mean I cannot read things on other sites or read the newspaper online?

^^^^ If you have the 1Blocker ad blocker (I don't), then you can turn off JavaScript for a specific site.

It does not make sense to me that I should need to do these things to browse on a website. My MacBook sounds like it is ready for takeoff. When I close out of this site, it stops within a minute or two. No issues with any other task I do on this laptop.

I only post this so someone knows that there is at least an isolated issue. Thanks.

Some browser add ons let you selectively enable/disable javascript on a site-by-site basis. Javascript's complexity is not needed for basic web functionality, and even more-advanced sites can be constructed without it, for example, most of Amazon's site works without it.

If I turn off Javascript then I cannot not open my Gmail. It is trouble to have to turn Javascript on and off to get on this site. As a consequence I am limiting my time on this site to just a few minutes before the fan comes on (probably a good thing).

I have a somewhat crazy question. The fan starts running on my Mac Book Air (about 2 years old), but only when I am browsing the Early Retirement website. When I close out of the website, the fan stops after a few minutes. What could be causing this? Thanks in advance for any input.

It's simple: These days FIRE is hot!

-BB

I also have a macbook air, about 2 years old. My fan only seems to come on when I am on a "google meet" online meeting. I don't recall it being on while I am on Early Retirement, like right now!

Back
Top Bottom