Looking for suggestions on ceiling fans for new house

The closer to the ceiling = less airflow. We learned that lesson in the last house.

We’ve had good luck with the Minka Aire range. The F787 model is very simple, quiet and efficient and comes with a six speed reversing remote control. We have a Hunter in our winter place in Mexico. My opinion is that the Minka is worth the extra $$.

My 52" Hunter fan moves a lot of air even at the lowest speed, sometimes too much.

On Hunter Web site, they show a 72" fan with 10 blades. A monster to be used in a huge room in a mansion!

PS. Wow, my original cast iron fan is now $649. I think I paid about $150 35 years ago.

Last edited:
I would suggest that the fan be at least one blade length below the ceiling for air draw.

We have a total of 6 fans throughout our 1450 sq ft house. They are easy to install especially since you have secure electrical boxes already. Not all of mine had this available so a few are swagged to a wall outlet. I have probably installed at least 15+ fans for us and friends (the last fan was bought 10+ years ago). Most fans were from HD or Lowes except for a 52" cast iron Hunter fan I bought 40 years ago. I probably paid more for the newer inexpensive fans from HD than I did for the Hunter. I prefer light fixtures that use replaceable LED bulbs. If the fixture has built in LED lights and goes bad you may have to buy an entire new fan instead of just replacing a bulb. Replacing bulbs also give you a choice in changing intensity and color rendition. I also suggest looking at fans with 5 blades since they will give less balance problems than 4 blades.

Cheers!

Soon I will be closing on my new 1,459 square foot single family house and will be looking for suggestions and/or recommendations on a few things which I will have to buy as a new (old) homeowner.

Today's topic is ceiling fans that are needed for one open area, the family room, and two bedrooms (master and guest(s))…

We’ve had a number of Hampton Bay (Home Depot) ceiling fans running 24/7365 for 10-12 years now. we’re satisfied.

Good info. We are going to replace our living room and bedroom fans. We have 10 foot ceilings, the lighting on them is poor and I think the fans are more decorative than practical. We do have a flat roof house and the living room has vigas (round beams, southwest Pueblo style) so interfere with the air flow patterns as well. Trying to determine the best size and such.

I have a small flush-mounted fan in a small bedroom. I don't know the size off-hand. It spins fast, but moves much less air than other fans I have.

If I recall correctly, Sengsational had a thread about his flush-mounted fan with the same problem. The narrow clearance between the fan and the ceiling starves the fan the intake air for it to blow down. Hence, the weak airflow.

So too close to the ceiling may not be good. I forgot if Sengsational figured out how much clearance would be good.

I need 4 for a mountain cabin that was built with only 8' ceilings, so I'm still thinking flush-mount unless people have any other recommendations.

I would suggest that the fan be at least one blade length below the ceiling for air draw.

Totally agree, except it's hard to adopt for 8' ceilings. :)

I need 4 for a mountain cabin that was built with only 8' ceilings, so I'm still thinking flush-mount unless people have any other recommendations.

I dunno. You may not have a choice here.

Depending on your height, go as low on the fan as possible, without risking getting the top of your head lopped off. Thinking of a scene in Kill Bill here, but that's too gruesome.

Bah humbug! All of these newfangled fans with remotes.
Seriously if you can find any older Hunter fans with the cast iron housing and pancake motor with oil lubed bearing you've struck gold! I have 4 of these I'll be installing in our condo this winter. One is a gorgeous brass plated model. Not the yellow brass but the old style almost golden looking brass.
These Hunters are so quiet and have no wobble and push more air than any of the modern throw away fans.

^^^ They still make them. $649, as I mentioned in an earlier post.

These fans don't wobble, I think because of the weight. Cast iron is heavy.

You folks are great!

Thanks for all the replies so far.:):cool:

Looks like I will try to find a 5 blade fan with a light that has a replaceable bulb. Given I have 9' ceilings, all the websites that sell fans suggest 12" - 18" drop. Would like a 6 speed reversible drive motor if possible, and remote.

No $659 cast iron fans for this guy. I won't outlive those!:LOL:

I would avoid fans with built in LEDS. A friend has one, and if I recall doesn’t like it because the lighting level is fixed, and if the LEDs break she can’t swap them out for a new bulb

Looks like I will try to find a 5 blade fan with a light that has a replaceable bulb. Given I have 9' ceilings, all the websites that sell fans suggest 12" - 18" drop. Would like a 6 speed reversible drive motor if possible, and remote.

+1. By all means don’t listen to anyone who recommends a hugger for a 9’ ceiling! The lower the fan the better air circulation, but I think code requires the blades and no lower than 7’ from the floor for safety.

how_to_choose_27_downrod_guide_responsive.jpg

dd9838c4724303d635b4f94f5c788505.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 5 blade with single light one in our bedroom. Black. Flush Mount. 9 foot ceiling. It’s actually an outdoor one but I liked it. Wall switch for light and another for the fan, but remote used for speed. Electrician installed.

We have a cathedral ceiling in our living room. So have a long rod that comes down to just around 9 feet. That’s the appropriate way to install them on a cathedral ceiling. 5 blade with light. Light and Dimmer and speed switch in wall installed by an electrician. Did not want to use the remote there. Home Depot purchase again.

+1
I have two Hunter fans including a 42 inch cast iron Hunter fan that came out of an old hotel that was being torn down. I obtained it 60 years ago and have used it ever since. I have no idea how old it is but it has to be at least 80+ years old. I wish I was made that well. I think it will easily outlast me. :D

Cheers!

I would like to keep the cost to $250 each fan, maximum. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.:)

Do you have any Ollies stores near you?... We just visited ours since they had Ceiling Fans listed on sale.....
Harbor Breeze fans.... got matching 54 inch @ $49.44 each for the great room. A 44 inch for a bedroom for $29.99....

Soon I will be closing on my new 1,459 square foot single family house and will be looking for suggestions and/or recommendations on a few things which I will have to buy as a new (old) homeowner.

Today's topic is ceiling fans that are needed for one open area, the family room, and two bedrooms (master and guest(s)).

The ceilings are 9' and the areas are not very big, say 20' x 14' for the family room and the master is 14' x 13'. The second bedroom is quite small, maybe 10' x 12'.

I don't want anything that can connect to Siri or Alexa, but would like remote control, a dimming light and multi speed fan motor.

I would like to keep the cost to $250 each fan, maximum. Simple is good and ease of installation is recommended.

The walls in the house are painted a very light gray color with white moldings and doors throughout. My furniture is a mixed collection of old stuff and mostly traditional. I'm not a candidate for the House Beautiful magazine centerfold.;)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.:)

About 20 years ago we put in ceiling fans the brand name is Minka Air. They make many different models that are quite stylish. I can’t imagine I paid more than $200 a piece. Very dependable and pretty. We choose a three blade because of how it looked. Also, we have 14 foot ceilings. It makes a huge difference.
Great, handheld, remote, three speed. And can reverse directions.

Let me know if you need more information. Or just Google Minka Aire

Last edited:
I have a 5 blade with single light one in our bedroom. Black. Flush Mount. 9 foot ceiling. It’s actually an outdoor one but I liked it. Wall switch for light and another for the fan, but remote used for speed. Electrician installed.

We have a cathedral ceiling in our living room. So have a long rod that comes down to just around 9 feet. That’s the appropriate way to install them on a cathedral ceiling. 5 blade with light. Light and Dimmer and speed switch in wall installed by an electrician. Did not want to use the remote there. Home Depot purchase again.

Actually I stand corrected. The one on our 9 foot bedroom ceiling is not a flush Mount. It has a small rod and I’d say the blades are about a foot from the ceiling.

Actually I stand corrected. The one on our 9 foot bedroom ceiling is not a flush Mount. It has a small rod and I’d say the blades are about a foot from the ceiling.

Yes, I'm buying ones with a 12" down rod for the 9 foot ceilings.

Years (decades) ago when we were newly married and bought our first house I bought a couple Hunter original cast iron ceiling fans. My new FIL was joking about me spending so much on those fans. I think I paid about $150 each. He had some cheap $50 fans in his house. So I asked him how often he had to replace his fans. He mumbled they last 2-3 years before he had to replace them. I just smiled. I still have those 2 fans ready to install in our new condo this winter when we get back. And we just celebrated 45 years of marriage. I think they were a good buy.

Years (decades) ago when we were newly married and bought our first house I bought a couple Hunter original cast iron ceiling fans. My new FIL was joking about me spending so much on those fans. I think I paid about $150 each. He had some cheap $50 fans in his house. So I asked him how often he had to replace his fans. He mumbled they last 2-3 years before he had to replace them. I just smiled. I still have those 2 fans ready to install in our new condo this winter when we get back. And we just celebrated 45 years of marriage. I think they were a good buy.

Yers, they were. Above somewhere a poster mentioned that fans with cast iron housings sell for over $600.

I personally like the low profile look & no dangling lights. We have some 3 fin that look like propellers & like the minimal look.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230812-093900.jpg
    Screenshot_20230812-093900.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom