MacOS Big Sur

I reformatted my Time Machine USB drive to APFS and did a full backup. 158GB took 30 minutes. Much better performance.

I have run across what might be a minor problem. When I go to penfed.org, using the chrome browser, nothing happens when I click on the log in button. If I do this in Safari, it works. I see this on both Macs I have converted to Big Sur. Maybe it is just me somehow, but there are a bunch of javascript errors in the console log, so maybe chrome has some issues?

I have run across what might be a minor problem. When I go to penfed.org, using the chrome browser, nothing happens when I click on the log in button. If I do this in Safari, it works. I see this on both Macs I have converted to Big Sur. Maybe it is just me somehow, but there are a bunch of javascript errors in the console log, so maybe chrome has some issues?

I am seeing same, Safari works. Chrome nothing when clicking the login button.

Chrome works ok using Catalina.

Last edited:
I have not upgraded my work MBP because our IT dept. told us not to. As python developers there are some changes that our users already reported incompatible with our tools so I will wait for their 11.0.4 or later revisions and most of breaking bugs are ironed out before my upgrade.

Has anyone loaded this year’s TurboTax to a Mac with Big Sur. I just looked on Amazon and the Mac version does not list Big Sur as a supported OS.

The TurboTax site says
2020: macOS Mojave 10.14 or later

So I assume it will be fine. Haven't upgraded yet to Big Sur so can't verify it. But if there are problems I'm sure they will be fixed in short order.

I tried 2020 H&R Block already with Big Sur, No problems.

The TurboTax site says

So I assume it will be fine. Haven't upgraded yet to Big Sur so can't verify it. But if there are problems I'm sure they will be fixed in short order.

Excellent, thanks for that.

I installed TurboTax 2020 on Big Sur last week with no problems. It’s not final so updates have installed, also no problems.

First time user so I’m looking forward (not really) to tax time.

One detail: I bought the Windows version to run on a Parallels VM.

Last edited:
I have Big Sur and have installed TurboTax without any problems. They still need a lot of updates on TurboTax before I can do much.

Installed new update Big Sur 11.1.
Works on my Early 2013 Macbook Pro.

I'm not upgrading my imac, I did go up to Catalina and can't get my Xerox 3215 printer talking together correctly.

I'm not upgrading my imac, I did go up to Catalina and can't get my Xerox 3215 printer talking together correctly.

I recently received an email from Red River papers cautioning people to not install OS 11.1 until the bugs were worked out. They suspect it might be interfering with print results.

Last edited:
I’ve been having a problem with my printer (HP) since 11.1. I think it’s been fixed by getting HP to remove all previously installed HP software on my iMac (you can do that yourself) and reinstalling, including drivers.

Big Sur is/was a Big Deal!

Still waiting on Xerox to update their printer drivers so Catalina and Big Sur will work. Out of 4 macs only have 2 that will work with my Xerox 3215 printer. Kinda a pain to pass around docs to print.

The usual routine that I have used successfully in the past is:

System Preferences
Printers & Scanners
Control-click the list, then choose "Reset printing system"
That will delete all current printers.
Click the + symbol and add your printers back in again.
That should send the Mac looking for the latest drivers, which are automatically installed.

Another option is to install the free, open-source Gutenprint driver.

The usual routine that I have used successfully in the past is:

System Preferences

Printers & Scanners

Control-click the list, then choose "Reset printing system"

That will delete all current printers.

Click the + symbol and add your printers back in again.

That should send the Mac looking for the latest drivers, which are automatically installed.

Another option is to install the free, open-source Gutenprint driver.

Likely would have worked for me. In the update process I was alerted that the printer was registered as an AirPrint printer. Did I want to change? I said OK. I’ll see how it goes!

I’m wary of open source solutions on non-Linux platforms. [emoji20]

Last edited:
I only have the one printer/scanner, a Brother device. I also had to delete the printer from within the settings using the - sign and then click the + sign to add it back in.

Just installed it and all is well. Everything runs fine, except Quicken 2007 which is no longer recognized. Made a bootable clone of the entire system BEFORE the update, so I can still boot into Quicken 2007 if I need pre-2000 cost basis information but otherwise, I plan on ditching Quicken altogether. Not worth an annual subscription to me anymore.
Regarding the OS upgrade, so far I like the updated look and features

@euro, just get a copy of Quicken 2017 for Mac. It is the last version that did not require a sub, and works well with Big Sur.

Back
Top Bottom