MacOS Big Sur

camfused

Full time employment: Posting here.
Well, has anyone installed MacOS Big Sur (beta) yet? I am too chicken, and really don't need to.

I've seen some reviews and it looks ok to me. It seems to be better integrated with iOS and iPadOS.

It is going to be able to run on my MacBook Air (2019), and DW's MacBook Air (2014), but not on my 2012 Mac Mini. Therefore, I just sold the Mini on eBay and upgraded to the 2014 Mini, which is now the cheapest supported Mini. Yeah, I know I could have just kept running Catalina on them, but I just want to try to keep current-ish.

Here is a list of supported hardware: https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/22/macos-big-sur-compatible-macs/

I am a little concerned that the shift to Apple silicon will make all our hardware obsolete in maybe 5 years or so, but I guess we will run into that bridge when we cross it.

I am concerned because I only by used Macs. Yeah, maybe in 5 years there will be decent prices on 4 or 5 year old ones with Apple silicon, but my current ones will be worthless at the point I guess.

And Catalina is not that old, but my 2013 iMac will be a no go for this OS. Nevertheless, I feel my computer will be approaching its replacement horizon in another year or so.

I don’t install beta versions of software. I’m more than happy to wait until it’s released.

I am looking forward to the switch to Apple Silicon. I suspect they’ll have some nice performing laptops. But I just bought a 2020 Macbook Pro, so I won’t upgrade for a while.

I don’t install beta versions of software. I’m more than happy to wait until it’s released.

Same here. I also avoid 1.0 versions of anything.

My current MacBook Pro is only about a year old, and I generally replace them at 3-4 years.

My late 2013 MacBook Pro runs like new, and I’ll wait until the new software is released. I may get a new MacBook Pro when the new chips are in.

Well, has anyone installed MacOS Big Sur (beta) yet? I am too chicken, and really don't need to.

I've seen some reviews and it looks ok to me. It seems to be better integrated with iOS and iPadOS.

It is going to be able to run on my MacBook Air (2019), and DW's MacBook Air (2014), but not on my 2012 Mac Mini. Therefore, I just sold the Mini on eBay and upgraded to the 2014 Mini, which is now the cheapest supported Mini. Yeah, I know I could have just kept running Catalina on them, but I just want to try to keep current-ish.

Here is a list of supported hardware: https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/22/macos-big-sur-compatible-macs/

I am a little concerned that the shift to Apple silicon will make all our hardware obsolete in maybe 5 years or so, but I guess we will run into that bridge when we cross it.
Note that at least for the Ubuntu distribution of Linux it can currently run on mac hardware. Instructions are on the web. Note that Ubuntu takes a lot less memory than mac os and will run acceptably a 2 gb system. As an example I have a hp pc from 2010 that will run Ubuntu (all be it a bit slowly ) in an acceptible manner taking about 1 gb to run (the system has 4 gb so there is lots of free space). Also there is cloud ready a version of the chrome os that ill run on older macs as well. cloudready is basically the chrome browser with some other features.

(And of course if the older systems have enough resources you could just run windows on them)

My early 2013 Macbook Pro ages out with Big Sur but I see a hack to get it working with the beta so I will wait and try that.

Note that at least for the Ubuntu distribution of Linux it can currently run on mac hardware. Instructions are on the web. Note that Ubuntu takes a lot less memory than mac os and will run acceptably a 2 gb system. As an example I have a hp pc from 2010 that will run Ubuntu (all be it a bit slowly ) in an acceptible manner taking about 1 gb to run (the system has 4 gb so there is lots of free space). Also there is cloud ready a version of the chrome os that ill run on older macs as well. cloudready is basically the chrome browser with some other features.

(And of course if the older systems have enough resources you could just run windows on them)

Thanks, but I choose to stay in the Apple ecosystem. I have my MacBook Air at one end of the house and my Mac Mini at the other. I can save a doc on one, walk over to the other, and pick up where I left off (via iCloud). I can take a pic on my iPhone and see it (almost) immediately on my Mac. When my iPhone rings, I can answer the call on my Mac. Etc. Sure, you can probably do some or all of these things somehow in Ubuntu or Windows, but it is built-in, seamless, and just works with Apple.

Also, I sold my Mac Mini on eBay for more money than what I payed for it, so the upgrade of the Mini did not cost too much.

Thanks, but I choose to stay in the Apple ecosystem. I have my MacBook Air at one end of the house and my Mac Mini at the other. I can save a doc on one, walk over to the other, and pick up where I left off (via iCloud). I can take a pic on my iPhone and see it (almost) immediately on my Mac. When my iPhone rings, I can answer the call on my Mac. Etc. Sure, you can probably do some or all of these things somehow in Ubuntu or Windows, but it is built-in, seamless, and just works with Apple.

Also, I sold my Mac Mini on eBay for more money than what I payed for it, so the upgrade of the Mini did not cost too much.

Yeah I love all those features too plus you can call/answer facetime video/audio from phone or Mac!

It's silly, but I still get a big grin on my face every time I answer a phone call on my Apple Watch. This image always appears in my mind whenever that happens.

dick-tracy-smartwatch.jpg

Yup. We each have one of those too (and an Apple TV). I guess we are a real fruity family.

I won't be able to update my 2013 iMac to Big Sur. But I will update my 2018 MacBook Pro.

I have Catalina on the iMac. My scanner won't run on Catalina, so I run Mojave on the MacBook Pro so that I can still use the scanner from the MacBook. Looks like I'll have to drop the iMac back to Mojave and upgrade the MacBook to Big Sur at some point.

I'll wait for General Release before I install Big Sur. I never install beta and let others work thru the kinks. Looking forward to the updates though!

If you mean OS updates, aren't all Apple hardware already obsolete in 5-7 years? How would this be any different?

Also, isn't the beta version currently developer release only? Don't think it's available to the general public yet...

^^^ I meant that I *think* Apple will only support the Intel machines for about 5 more years, then our perfectly fine hardware will not longer be supported.

Public beta is sometime this month.

My late 2013 MacBook Pro runs like new, and I’ll wait until the new software is released. I may get a new MacBook Pro when the new chips are in.

Mine (from Feb 2013) also works great though the battery definitely needs replacing. I've been looking into buying a newer model & keeping the old one as a backup. Love Apple service, quality & performance & I'm so happy I switched from PCs.

So, did anyone install on the first day? I read that Apple servers are choking on the load.

My iMac just offered me the option to upgrade, have not done it yet. I looked at what was new with this OS, wow! A ton of stuff. Go to apple.com and look at how much is improved.

Heck, I just recently installed Catalina on my MacBook. I was waiting until I got a new printer (old printer would not work with Catalina). So I will probably install Big Sur in about a year. What does Big Sur have that is new and improved? Will my new printer Brother work on the new OS (hope so!)?

Back
Top Bottom