Monthly Cost for Cable/Internet

I have found that you need to actually cancel and go to another provider to get the best price. Just saying you are going to do it isn't enough. Then every year bounce to a new provider for the best offer. They punish loyalty.

I haven't cancelled, or threatened to cancel, to get a lower price. I just ask politely if they can give me a better deal, as a long-time customer.

I have found that you need to actually cancel and go to another provider to get the best price. Just saying you are going to do it isn't enough. Then every year bounce to a new provider for the best offer. They punish loyalty.

A good idea if there are other ISP's that are worth a sh*t. In our particular area, it's only Cox and Century Link. Cox is over-priced. Century Link is cheaper, however, numerous complaints from customers about poor streaming.

I contacted Cox and asked if they would provide us a better monthly rate, with a[-]n empty[/-] threat on our part to switch to Century Link if they wouldn't. All Cox would offer us is a "bundle" package for 12 months at the same monthly rate we are paying now that includes phone service, which we do not require. :facepalm:

Currently paying $45 for 100MB cable internet, going up to $50 when I can get 100MB fiber. I have the option for 1GB at $80 but I don't see a need for it.

Currently paying $39 for Dish (welcome package + 1 DVR), that'll go up to $105 during football season when I upgrade to 120+ and the sports package.

Hoping YouTube TV works out for $50/month, then I'll drop Dish. If I get an OTA recorder I'll drop everything after college basketball season is over.

I have Amazon prime for whatever that costs/month, but I'd have it for the shipping anyway.

I go off and on with Netflix. I'll drop it during football season since between that and the new TV season I have less time for movies.

All total I'm between $100 and $155 depending on the time of year.

Spectrum Internet $65.99 (no cable)
Modem $0 (bought my own)
Amazon Prime $10.00
Netflix $9.66
Hulu $12.82
Acorn $5.00
Britbox $6.99

Total: $110.46

This is still less than the $120 I paid monthly for Spectrum basic cable & internet seven years ago, and I never watched anything on cable anyway. I can only imagine what they are charging now. :(

I especially like the Brit TV offerings on Acorn and Britbox, as well as the other streaming services.

I honestly can't remember the last time I watched network television with commercials. In my house it's all streaming, all the time! I love the flexibility and the choices. :dance:

Per month, including all taxes and fees...

TV: $70 (PS Vue + Netflix)
Internet: $61 (Frontier FiOS 50/50 fiber)
Landline: $0 (GV + Obi-200)
Total: $131

Went on vacation last year and just needed internet for our alarm system...they reduced our monthly fee to:

Fioptics internet $35/mo (400 Mps)

ROKU ($30 purchase no monthly)
Amazon Prime (got it for shipping so net increase is $0)

We have not told them we were back from vacation, and we are just happy with our $35/mo internet.

AT&T Uverse:
- TV: $123 for U200 package. No movie channels, but all the other crap. DVR with 2 TVs.
- Internet: $30 for 300MB
- Phone: $34

Total: $187

Analysis... This is negotiation from something well over $220. The phone is a rip off. The internet is a great deal.

On looking at this, my stomach turns. Time to really consider what we want with our phone. Perhaps go with a free-ish VOIP.

Google Fiber is in the neighborhood and an equivalent at 100MB will be $170. AT&T will have to match that. Basically, the phone charge by AT&T is the differentiator. ($34 vs $10). Dump the phone and AT&T looks better, but then they give you crap about "packages" and negotiation starts going downhill.

Our monthly internet and streaming costs. No cable. Don't use off-air programming either and don't have an antenna. No landline.

Two TVs, and two Apple TVs, one of which is 4K.

50Mbps internet - $52
Netflix 4K - $16
PBS membership for Passport streaming - $5
Amazon Prime - $5 (I'm pro-rating (1/2) this because we mainly use Amazon Prime for the fixed annual shipping fee, 5% off store card and occasional other perks)

Total $78 per month

We occasionally add another streaming source like Hulu, Showtime, or Acorn, which may run another $5 to $10 a month. We rarely have this on for more than a two months at a time, as we already have so much to watch.

I am paying 168.00 for telephone,internet and television. So I put 56.00 for each even though my phone bill was 76 in 2015 when I first got cable tv.
I also have Amazon prime and a firestick with free IMBD, My PBS passport I count under donations but that is 10 per month.

Our monthly internet and streaming costs. No cable. Don't use off-air programming either and don't have an antenna. No landline.

Two TVs, and two Apple TVs, one of which is 4K.

50Mbps internet - $52
Netflix 4K - $16
PBS membership for Passport streaming - $5
Amazon Prime - $5 (I'm pro-rating (1/2) this because we mainly use Amazon Prime for the fixed annual shipping fee, 5% off store card and occasional other perks)

Total $78 per month

We occasionally add another streaming source like Hulu, Showtime, or Acorn, which may run another $5 to $10 a month. We rarely have this on for more than a two months at a time, as we already have so much to watch.

The occasional add-ons should be added to cost, I think, and not brushed aside.

Cox internet @ $46.99 for 30mb

Philo @ $21.22
Hulu @ $1.04

That put's me in @ $69.25 per month.

$2.69 for phone - Magic Jack

The occasional add-ons should be added to cost, I think, and not brushed aside.
Except that we go for months without. Sometimes even a year or more.

I provided the occasional additional cost ($5 to $10 a month), so someone can easily do the math themselves. It easily satisfies the OP's request for information, I think. I stated what it might be, so that's not brushing it aside.

Last edited:
Monthly Cost for Cable/Internet = $122

Showtime $9

Grand total $131.....which I'm fine with. But 2 year deal expires early next year so will evaluate again at that time.

Monthly cost for internet 300 Mbps and PS Vue Core 79 channels (17 sports) $100, about to increase to $105. We can watch up to 5 simultaneous streams, 3 TVs, PC, tablets, phones anywhere. With Dish Network we could watch on 3 TVs, only 1 DVR. Mobile viewing with Dish was more complicated.

Cutting the cord can be complicated (we're not tech savvy) and I don't want to go through all that and realize huge mistake.
Cutting the cord does NOT have to be more complicated. A little different, but not complicated. PS Vue, Sling, YouTube TV, and Hulu Live are essentially drop ins for any cable or satellite package. You can add premium channels just like cable or satellite. You don’t have to use OTA, TiVo, or some of the other options you read about here that can make it more complicated.

With Dish we had the TV was plugged into a satellite receiver, with PS Vue the TV is plugged into a Roku. Still have one remote, still have an onscreen guide, DVR is just as easy to use. DW was opposed and when I finally convinced her to try it, she had it down in less than two days and we never looked back...

Last edited:
.....Mobile viewing with Dish was more complicated. ...

Au contraire IME. Dish Anywhere is very easy to use IMO.

The one thing is that is unique about Dish Anywhere is since it accesses your Dish receiver, if you watch a major network live then you get the major network broadcast for where your receiver is located.

For most streaming services, if your subscription includes locals then the locals are for the local for the IP address of the laptop or media player used for streaming.

Dish Anywhere is the cat's meow for those on the go who want to watch their local home news or NFL games for their home team.

Monthly cost for internet 300 Mbps and PS Vue Core 79 channels (17 sports) $100, about to increase to $105. We can watch up to 5 simultaneous streams, 3 TVs, PC, tablets, phones anywhere. With Dish Network we could watch on 3 TVs, only 1 DVR. Mobile viewing with Dish was more complicated...

You must have a very good intro price on the internet. I know that PS Vue Core is $55, before taxes and fees. So if you're at $105/mo total, you must be getting AT&T 300Mbps fiber for $40-45? According to this website, the normal unbundled intro price for Internet 300 is $70 (for 1 year) with an ongoing price of $80 thereafter.

Last edited:
Current:
Service $/Month
Internet $59.23
Netflix $15.07
Dish (Flex)$99.89
Total $174.19

[the dish breakout is
Flex Pack $46.99
Equipment $22.00
Add ons $21.99
Surchages $0.03
Taxes $4.42]

Once we switch to get the red zone during NFL season, the total will be $204.30 / month until January.

My internet is 100 Mbps because that's as fast as Roku handles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom