Most annoying/dumbest in tele.

Being snarky about fake TV people is a hobby for some people. That is the main reason such programs exist. I suspect few watch them for romantic reasons.

We don't all need to have the same hobbies.

True. When reality TV shows first came out, I admit I watched them... until I realized that my reason for watching them was in hope to see escalating conflicts. Not unlike going to a auto race primarily in hopes of seeing a spectacular crash. I decided that was not saying good things about myself, so I stopped.

Some of their prices seem to be very low. Was so appalled by the "600-pound life" show, I did a little research. In return for sharing the painful facts of their lives for a whole year, the participants are paid $1,500, plus doctor's fees of course. In addition, they get $2500 to move near the doctor's clinic (and, presumably, back again after their year is up).

I agree... and even at that low price, the supply of folks willing to participate far outstrips the "need".

And when my granddaughters get older I WILL have them watch a few episodes of "Teen Mom" if DS and DDIL are OK with it. I want them to see what happens when a teenage girl with an unplanned pregnancy tries to get a job, continue her education and take care of the kid and thinks the Baby Daddy will stick around. So far I haven't seen a single episode where it worked.

Just be sure that they do not get the message "but they're on TV and famous!" :)

Too many channels, not enough talent in the business to create quality shows to fill all that airtime. So I think reality shows will continue to thrive. They are cheap to make (no writers, no sets, no high-priced pro actors, no extras, etc. needed) and no shortage of people wanting to be on TV for next to nothing.

You forgot one thing. No brains involved in these shows.

The shows from the 1950s 1960s were much better and made more sense. The game shows were great.

Even the talk shows were better.

I watched the fat-people show once all the way through, and once partway. I felt so sorry for those poor souls, imprisoned in their bodies, struggling to go downstairs or climb into a vehicle. Couldn't go on watching.

The home-flip shows are always on at the dentist's office (even in the chair!). There are some interesting bits, but I get too jealous, because why can't I find a designer who will do all that stuff for $25,000?

But- I have to admit that my guilty pleasure when staying in a hotel is to watch Say Yes to the Dress, My 600-lb. Life and various shows on HGTV. Maybe it's because I can look at those people and say that no matter what, I
know I'm not THAT shallow, overweight, clueless, etc.

And when my granddaughters get older I WILL have them watch a few episodes of "Teen Mom" if DS and DDIL are OK with it. I want them to see what happens when a teenage girl with an unplanned pregnancy tries to get a job, continue her education and take care of the kid and thinks the Baby Daddy will stick around. So far I haven't seen a single episode where it worked.

I watched the fat-people show once all the way through, and once partway. I felt so sorry for those poor souls, imprisoned in their bodies, struggling to go downstairs or climb into a vehicle. Couldn't go on watching.

The home-flip shows are always on at the dentist's office (even in the chair!). There are some interesting bits, but I get too jealous, because why can't I find a designer who will do all that stuff for $25,000?

25,000 not many peeps have that much money. I never had more than round 18,000. Then I used that to pay a vehicle loan off. Since then I haven’t had more than 2400.00

So those few that have that much wealth are lucky.

So I agree with your comment well.. the second half.

I do t know any of the shows that you wrote about in the first half.

Medical Police on Netflix is without a doubt the dumbest show that I've ever watched for a full season. I've seen it described as an absurdist comedy. But very often it's not absurd, it's just dumb. Also hilarious. I highly recommend it. (Check out the trailer on youtube).

True. When reality TV shows first came out, I admit I watched them... until I realized that my reason for watching them was in hope to see escalating conflicts. Not unlike going to a auto race primarily in hopes of seeing a spectacular crash. I decided that was not saying good things about myself, so I stopped.

All you have to do is look at these no brain talk shows. This Doctor OZ not is doing a show about old crime stories. What does that have to do with medical things.

Then this other Doctor Phil. He is out telling peeps things about their living arrangements or their lives.

Soon those shows will be as bad as shows like Phil Donahue and Jerry Springer.

My vote has to go to Mork and Mindy. I can never go past 5 minutes without giving up on it. I only tried it because of poor choices at the time. I have since learned to just not watch it even if there isn't anything else on.

Current show that I despise? Naked and afraid would be a good choice. I can't stand that either.

That was a dumb show. The later seasons were much worser than first seasons were.

I don't watch any of that garbage like Bachelor There are only 2 current prime-time shows I watch - Law & Order SVU (a show which has been on the decline for the last ~8 years after it became "The Olivia Benson Show") and 60 Minutes.

I had a nice set of shows on a few oldie cable stations such as COZItv, GETtv, StartTV, and Heroes & Icons. But they all changed their schedules in the last 6 months which has left holes in my overall programming. H&I stopped showing Star Trek TOS at 8 PM, moving it to the unwatchable 1 AM on weeknights - they put on Walker: Texas Ranger for THREE hours, the 3rd hour in Star Trek's place. WTF? StartTV had been airing Good Wife reruns at 11 PM but moved it to midnight, also too late for me. COZI had a good morning schedule until they doubled up up on Emergency reruns. They are airing Quincy reruns in the afternoon, though. (I like Jack Klugman.) GETtv had been airing All in the Family reruns at 11 PM but now airs it starting at midnight.

As for game shows, I like Family Feud but only the Fast Money part in the last 5 minutes of the show. I don't watch sports any more, except for the Super Bowl. Pro sports games, especially baseball, became a 3-hour barrage of advertising with about 4 minutes of actual action.

No game shows, no “reality” shows, no talk shows, no supposed “news” shows, no sports programming, no “prime time” shows, no commercials.

It’s wonderful not having broadcast TV or cable TV and streaming what I want.

No game shows, no “reality” shows, no talk shows, no supposed “news” shows, no sports programming, no “prime time” shows, no commercials.

It’s wonderful not having broadcast TV or cable TV and streaming what I want.
+1
Just about 90%+ of everything on broadcast TV I would consider as junk and not worthy of my time. I also have no need to be subjected to all the junk commercials that take up what seems to be at least 15min/hr.
We do fine being able to select what we want to watch when we want using Netflix (streaming and DVD) and Hulu (no commercials) plus a few other free streaming systems.

Cheers!

That's essentially my "lineup" except for the occasional sports event with muted commercials. Although now the commercials are overwhelming the sports to the point where I don't watch that many events anymore.

And if I could ever get DW off a few broadcast shows, cable would be gone.

I have noticed that I like certain episodes of a series and detest the rest. Must be different writers for different episodes. Examples: Modern Family. Some are great, some are just nauseating (offensive to me). Mom. Some great, some awful. The Connors. Some great, some awful. In each case, I am offended by the the characters themselves who are just too repugnant to even watch, let alone not funny or interesting.

I have noticed that I like certain episodes of a series and detest the rest. Must be different writers for different episodes. Examples: Modern Family. Some are great, some are just nauseating (offensive to me). Mom. Some great, some awful. The Connors. Some great, some awful. In each case, I am offended by the the characters themselves who are just too repugnant to even watch, let alone not funny or interesting.

We are fans of "The Connors." Much better than the original show "Rosanne." Much better without Rosanne!

Pretty much any news program, whether network or cable. The fact that the reports all sound about the same, almost word for word, indicates to me no one is doing any real work these days.

Pretty much any news program, whether network or cable. The fact that the reports all sound about the same, almost word for word, indicates to me no one is doing any real work these days.

Agree. Either crime or politics. All the same. I look at the news for the weather.

+1
Just about 90%+ of everything on broadcast TV I would consider as junk and not worthy of my time. I also have no need to be subjected to all the junk commercials that take up what seems to be at least 15min/hr.
We do fine being able to select what we want to watch when we want using Netflix (streaming and DVD) and Hulu (no commercials) plus a few other free streaming systems.

Cheers!

I remember when shows were much better. Like The Jacket Gleason Show, Red Skelton Show, The Honeymooners, Leave it to Beaver, I Love Lucy, Are You Being Served. There are many more also. Unlike the comedy shows today.

Especially the writers.

There is a big deal about this person from a programme called bachelorette. This person is all happy and the telly station making a big big about this happening.

All this for some fake reality programme.

Why do peeps (if any) look at these type things?

Back
Top Bottom