My Youtube 1 second FWD-REV hot keys

ERD50

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I watch a lot of stuff on youtube in my browser, and rely on hot keys to navigate. The most common ones I use are the left/right arrows, which FWD-REV jump by 5 seconds, and the 'j' and 'l' keys, by 10 seconds, and when you want to really catch an instant in time (like the magic tricks from Penn & Teller), the ',' and '.' keys jump by one frame @ 30 frames per second (easier to remember as '<' and '>', but w/o SHIFT).

But often, I want to move by just one second. Couldn't find a way to modify the behavior in the browser (is there a config for that?), so I made my own hot keys.

This is for Linux, but similar should be available in other OS. I just made the following entries in the 'Settings/Keyboard/Shortcuts' window:

xdotool sleep 0.125 type --clearmodifiers '..............................'

xdotool sleep 0.125 type --clearmodifiers ',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,'

triggered by Shift+Ctrl+> and Shift+Ctrl+<

That sends 30 one frame forward or reverse key presses when I hit that key combo. The "--clearmodifiers" is added so that it simulates a plain '.' key-press, and ignores the fact that I still have the Shift+Ctrl keys held. Youtube isn't going to respond to a Shift+Ctrl+'.'.

The sleep for an 1/8th second seemed to be needed, it didn't respond w/o it, and I didn't play too much to find the limit.

FYI, I'm finding my previous hot key additions to be very useful, those used xdotool to move the mouse a single pixel in any direction. From this post:

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f54/my-40th-thread-linux-life-102830.html#post2399415

-ERD50

You know you can change the playback speed, when you want to catch just that moment. You can slow it down or speed it up.
I like to watch all videos in 1.25 of speed, even 1.50.
I also use Firefox "video speed controller" add-on to control videos outside YouTube. It also has forward/backward buttons, which you can set to whatever length you want and whatever letter (but no ctl/shift).

HTH

A matter of personal preference I suppose, but I've never been much a fan of using arrows or keycodes to navigate around. I'd must prefer to use a mouse if possible.

You know you can change the playback speed, when you want to catch just that moment. You can slow it down or speed it up.
I like to watch all videos in 1.25 of speed, even 1.50.
I also use Firefox "video speed controller" add-on to control videos outside YouTube. It also has forward/backward buttons, which you can set to whatever length you want and whatever letter (but no ctl/shift).

HTH

Yes, changing speed can help too. But usually, I'm trying to skip to a specific point in a long video, and I want the speed to be right when I get there, and changing speed on song is weird.

It does help to speed up many speakers. The only one I don't do that with is the "project farm" guy - man he talks a hundred mph!

A matter of personal preference I suppose, but I've never been much a fan of using arrows or keycodes to navigate around. I'd must prefer to use a mouse if possible.

Just depends what you are doing. Mousing to find a specific point in a long video is almost impossible. Ten seconds might be less than a pixel width on the scrub bar - how are you going to mouse to that? And when you miss it, how do you mouse +/- 10 seconds from the point? You might only recall a specific phrase that's a few seconds long, a big skip and you miss it.

-ERD50

Yes, changing speed can help too. But usually, I'm trying to skip to a specific point in a long video, and I want the speed to be right when I get there, and changing speed on song is weird.

It does help to speed up many speakers. The only one I don't do that with is the "project farm" guy - man he talks a hundred mph!

Just depends what you are doing. Mousing to find a specific point in a long video is almost impossible. Ten seconds might be less than a pixel width on the scrub bar - how are you going to mouse to that? And when you miss it, how do you mouse +/- 10 seconds from the point? You might only recall a specific phrase that's a few seconds long, a big skip and you miss it.

-ERD50

Yeah, it depends what you are doing. For what you are doing, I do see how the arrow keys benefit. But when I can, I prefer to use the mouse.

That said, on Windows, I do have some auto hot key macros to perform some things over and over again, like assigning the F5 key as my put computer to sleep since I never could get the power management to work properly.

Back
Top Bottom