Need a New Mechanical Keyboard

They also have gaming keyboards that look to be just half keyboards. Not sure if you could type with them, but I assume that since you only need certain keys to play games that they are half a keyboard with function switches to activate the other half if needed.

They definitely make mechanical keyboards with the numeric key pad. I have one. It runs about $50, so not cheap but not too expensive. I really like it. See my earlier post (#6) for a link.

I'm just waiting for my mechanical keyboard to arrive. The order still is in pending status.

My task is to patiently wait (probably about a week or two). Picking up an cheap mechanical keyboard in the meantime is tempting. As for the 60% vs full size, there also are mechanical keypads available. In fact, I think that's what some banks use that require me to enter my PIN before transactions.

My new keyboard just shipped! Should arrive in a matter of days via UPS.

Guess, I'm spoiled as the waiting of 5 days before shipping has been brutal and felt like an eternity :(.

In the meantime, I've been in a rabbit hole watching all the youtube videos on gaming mechanical keyboards. It's nuts!

Last edited:
What one did you get? The one in your post above (#24)?

Next you'll be buying this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Das-Keyboard-Professional-Cherry-Mechanical/dp/B07HBHMP97?th=1

I ended up getting a classic Unicomp Model M with the legendary buckling springs for typing. Since, I not really a gamer and just want to type swiftly.

During my time impatiently waiting, I got so very close to getting another in the meantime. I'm still not against getting one in the future as a more easy to type backup keyboard to the new one arriving.

I've learned, with the gamer boards there are so many dizzying combinations of switches, plus also sizes. Also, most hobbyist like to mod their boards like lubing the switches or swapping switches out for a preferred feel. Plus, going those routes can get costly.

Attachments

• unicomp classic keyboard.jpg
    unicomp classic keyboard.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 17
I ended up getting a classic Unicomp Model M with the legendary buckling springs for typing. Since, I not really a gamer and just want to type swiftly.

I use Unicomp keyboards as well - they have proven durable and reliable. I also like that they pick up the phone if you have a question ;)

Fan.

I use Unicomp keyboards as well - they have proven durable and reliable. I also like that they pick up the phone if you have a question ;)

Fan.

Unicomp has several different models including recently a newer Model M along with a Mini without the numeric keypad.

I myself prefer the numeric keypad as I'm old fashioned and consider that a nice luxury to have, whereas it seems gamers tend to consider that dead space :LOL:.

I think buckling springs of the model M's are a joy to type with.

Attachments

• new model M.jpg
    new model M.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 17
  • mini model M.jpg
    mini model M.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Unicomp has several different models including recently a newer Model M along with a Mini without the numeric keypad.

I myself prefer the numeric keypad as I'm old fashioned and consider that a nice luxury to have, whereas it seems gamers tend to consider that dead space :LOL:.

I think buckling springs of the model M's are a joy to type with.

I’m old fashioned too. Plus, being an accountant, don’t know if I could operate without something that resembles a ten key.

The clickety-clack days are back again

Look at what arrived today :dance:.

The keyboard has a birthdate of 03/15/2021:popcorn:.

Attachments

• keyboad box.JPG
    keyboad box.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 12
  • keyboard wrapped.JPG
    keyboard wrapped.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 12
  • keyboard unwrapped.JPG
    keyboard unwrapped.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 14
Here's one like mine! Feels wonderful.

Don't use it all that much anymore, but if I had a big project, I'd hook it up to the laptop.

Attachments

• 9DFBD21B-6EC4-4A0E-B9CA-362DA5B01735_4_5005_c.jpeg
    9DFBD21B-6EC4-4A0E-B9CA-362DA5B01735_4_5005_c.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 10
Here’s mine. Love the back lighting at night. Even though I can touch type, I still find myself checking myself by looking at the keys.

33319-albums249-picture2393.jpeg

33319-albums249-picture2394.jpeg

spncity, Jerry1 -

Nice photos.

What type of switches?

Check out https://kolude.com Not only does their keyboard have the best mechanical switches in the business, but you can also connect just about anything to it! I've owned my computer consulting company since 1986, & this is by far the best keyboard I've ever found.

Not sure of the brand, all I know is that they’re the brown switches.

Cool. Do you feel the tiny bump feel when pressing the switches?

I spent so much of last week listening to the sounds of the different switches on youtube :facepalm:.

I think it may take a few days for my brain to get used to the feel of my new keyboard. Seems that because the keyboard is new, I need to press a little harder than my previous used Unicomp for a key to register. My brain will adjust (hopefully), like when getting a new pair of glasses.

Last edited:
Cool. Do you feel the tiny bump feel when pressing the switches?

Only if I press the key slow and think about it. It’s very responsive but doesn’t feel mechanical. I had DW type on it and it didn’t miss a beat. I think she got up around 80 words per minute. She could do better but she’s out of practice. I do around 50 so the mechanical keyboard is over kill, but my last keyboard was wireless and had lag, had battery issues and just kept getting worse. So, I got this to ensure I didn’t have those issues any more. It’s wired and mechanical. No lag, no missed letters, no issues and, as mentioned, backlit.

Only if I press the key slow and think about it. It’s very responsive but doesn’t feel mechanical. I had DW type on it and it didn’t miss a beat. I think she got up around 80 words per minute. She could do better but she’s out of practice. I do around 50 so the mechanical keyboard is over kill, but my last keyboard was wireless and had lag, had battery issues and just kept getting worse. So, I got this to ensure I didn’t have those issues any more. It’s wired and mechanical. No lag, no missed letters, no issues and, as mentioned, backlit.

From what I've read, the brown keys don't have a click as audible feedback but a small bump at the point the key registers as the tactile feedback.

Back in high school, this is during the 1970's, my high school dean suggested I take a typing class. The dean was totally right as that was how I learned to touch type and that came in handy for when I needed to type term papers in college as well as with computers.

I remember the summer before going off to college, buying a used typewriter from this older gentleman who had a hobby of buying and fixing up used typewriters. There were several in my family out to college at the same time and he sold like 3 or 4 typewriters. I ended up getting a business one (unknown to me at the time as I thought a typewriter is just a typewriter) that had a slightly smaller font. He sold them for I think $10 each, except the one I got was for $20.

I probably could type about 60wpm after practicing. Been awhile since I tested. I'm more normally in the 40s. I can pretty much touch type without looking except for the numbers, I have to peek to avoid bad keystrokes.

I bet if you show a typewriter to kids these days and say you used to use one of these machines that would make an interesting conversation.

The one thing that I do not like about my new keyboard is the use of a bright, blue LED bulbs as indicators of the num lock, caps lock and scroll lock keys. Especially noticeable at night with less background light.

I wonder why the manufacturer chose to use them instead of the old fashioned light glow green LEDs of the past.

Other that this one minor thing, I quite happy with keyboard.

Attachments

• num lock led.jpg
    num lock led.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 6
Here’s mine. Love the back lighting at night. Even though I can touch type, I still find myself checking myself by looking at the keys.

33319-albums249-picture2393.jpeg

33319-albums249-picture2394.jpeg

What model is that? I also want backlighting.

-ERD50

The one thing that I do not like about my new keyboard is the use of a bright, blue LED bulbs as indicators of the num lock, caps lock and scroll lock keys. Especially noticeable at night with less background light.

I wonder why the manufacturer chose to use them instead of the old fashioned light glow green LEDs of the past.

Other that this one minor thing, I quite happy with keyboard.

They make covers for that.

https://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Or...ywords=led+light+covers&qid=1616601047&sr=8-4

Of course spending a few bucks more to get it to work how you want is aggravating.

They make covers for that.

https://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Or...ywords=led+light+covers&qid=1616601047&sr=8-4

Of course spending a few bucks more to get it to work how you want is aggravating.

Something for every need, I guess.

I've been training my brain to only use the num lock when I need to use the keypad. Otherwise, I toggle off. But then, that's additional keypresses toggling on and off.

I have another really bright LED light on a usb hub. To fix that, I used some dark tape to tape over most of the bulb except just a bit showing. Not going to do that to my keyboard's LED though.

Back
Top Bottom