Should we get a new garage fridge?

I agree with those who said to buy a used one for cheap.

I got a used fridge from a friend who told me that he was buying new appliances. I asked him what he was doing with the old fridge and he said the delivery guys had promised to take it away. I picked it up and gave him a case of beer.

On a trial basis, I’d see how it goes without a garage fridge. As you said, you can always go get one if you find you really need one.
That's what we did years ago. Still don't have one.

Not sure the cost and electricity cost justifies one for us.

30 years.... It has done its job and it's time to go. May it RIP.:)

We bought the exact same one for ~$600 from Home Depot around 2015. It lasted 3-4 yrs and quit cooling.....

I suspect a 30 year old fridge has a good chance of outlasting a new one. Seriously. I have 30+ YO fridge and freezer. They just keep ticking.

I'd also try just lubricating that evaporator fan - $95 plus does seem like a lot, it's just a little fan. As someone suggested, wiring in a desk fan would probably work as well/better!

Thanks everyone for the great advice. All replies have me thinking. Especially the garage temp issue. That could be a problem. Garage gets well below 55 in the winter. ...

I'm confused. You say it's 30 YO - how long has it been a 'garage fridge'? If it's been working, why be concerned about this 55F limit now?

... I would love to go without a garage fridge. But DW says "Sometimes I use it and I want one". I can see maybe getting by without one, except during the holidays when she has it packed with holiday food, or when we get a meat stash from the cattle farmer - and that takes up only about half of the freezer in the fridge.

OK, here's the real problem with low temperatures in the garage, and I don't think anyone pointed this out (and it could be an important food-safety issue):

Most old style fridge/freezers have a thermostat only in the fridge. When the fridge calls for more cold, the compressor runs, chills the freezer, and blows some of that air to the fridge to cool it. The 'temperature control' for the freezer is simply an air baffle, that adjusts the amount of air that circulates in the freezer, versus being directed to the fridge. The less air to the fridge, the lower the average temp in the freezer.

OK, what's the problem? Well, with low temperatures in the garage, the fridge will hardly ever run, and won't run at all below the temp settings (if it's set to 37F, and the garage is 35F, the fridge doesn't run at all). This can lead to the freezer getting above 32F, and you may not notice, and that food refreezes. In the mean time, your meat stash could have spoiled. Dangerous.

This isn't really a problem with a freezer-only in the garage - if it's below 0F, it's kept cold anyhow.

-ERD50

Could you try going with out a fridge in the garage for now?
At holiday time, I put a large camping cooler in our garage for a day or two for temporary food storage. In the winter, our garage is usually below 40 and with ice blocks on the bottom of the cooler, no problem. Keep a thermometer in there to check temp occasionally.
Or just buy a new, inexpensive small refrigerator for the garage if you don't need big storage.

OK, here's the real problem with low temperatures in the garage, and I don't think anyone pointed this out (and it could be an important food-safety issue):

Most old style fridge/freezers have a thermostat only in the fridge. When the fridge calls for more cold, the compressor runs, chills the freezer, and blows some of that air to the fridge to cool it. The 'temperature control' for the freezer is simply an air baffle, that adjusts the amount of air that circulates in the freezer, versus being directed to the fridge. The less air to the fridge, the lower the average temp in the freezer.

OK, what's the problem? Well, with low temperatures in the garage, the fridge will hardly ever run, and won't run at all below the temp settings (if it's set to 37F, and the garage is 35F, the fridge doesn't run at all). This can lead to the freezer getting above 32F, and you may not notice, and that food refreezes. In the mean time, your meat stash could have spoiled. Dangerous.

This isn't really a problem with a freezer-only in the garage - if it's below 0F, it's kept cold anyhow.

-ERD50

Wow, I never knew. Luckily I never had one as I've always thought they were just for beer.
Maybe it was due to my friends usages :LOL:

Thanks for pointing this out, it makes sense. :flowers:

I'm confused. You say it's 30 YO - how long has it been a 'garage fridge'? If it's been working, why be concerned about this 55F limit now?
-ERD50

I’m not concerned about the current fridge. It’s been in the garage for 5 years. I’m only concerned in the event that I buy a new one.

Plan now is:

Option 1. Fix existing fridge. I’ll probably lube the current fan to see if that works- if not then get a new fan. I’ll run some tests first with a temp fan to see if it works.

Option 2. Get a cheap fridge somewhere only if option 1 doesn’t pan out.

Option 3. Buy the new $900 fridge at Menards - only if options1 and 2 don’t pan out.

Time is not a factor

I’m not concerned about the current fridge. It’s been in the garage for 5 years. I’m only concerned in the event that I buy a new one.

Plan now is:

Option 1. Fix existing fridge. I’ll probably lube the current fan to see if that works- if not then get a new fan. I’ll run some tests first with a temp fan to see if it works.

Option 2. Get a cheap fridge somewhere only if option 1 doesn’t pan out.

Option 3. Buy the new $900 fridge at Menards - only if options1 and 2 don’t pan out.

Time is not a factor

I will give you Option 4. We recently bought an upright freezer. Right now it is in the house but I may put in the garage. So we bought one that is rated for the garage. It is an Insignia brand from Best Buy.

But it might work for you in that it is convertible. You can set it up as a freezer or as a refrigerator. So during most of the year -- when you don't need the refrigerator function -- you could set it up as a garage freezer. Then, when you don't need a freezer there but do need a refrigerator, you can convert it to the refrigerator function.

Right now they are on a black Friday sale. It comes in different sizes. The largest (21 cubic feet) is $750 where I am. The 17 cubic feet is $600.

Now that's a good idea, if you can find one without too much trouble.

Here there is a best buy clearance center that sells them... plus other places that sell scratch and dent...

I bought a fridge and a washer many years ago that were S&D... both had them in the back or side where you could not see them...

I will give you Option 4. We recently bought an upright freezer. Right now it is in the house but I may put in the garage. So we bought one that is rated for the garage. It is an Insignia brand from Best Buy.

But it might work for you in that it is convertible. You can set it up as a freezer or as a refrigerator. So during most of the year -- when you don't need the refrigerator function -- you could set it up as a garage freezer. Then, when you don't need a freezer there but do need a refrigerator, you can convert it to the refrigerator function.

Right now they are on a black Friday sale. It comes in different sizes. The largest (21 cubic feet) is $750 where I am. The 17 cubic feet is $600.

I suggested option 4 to DW a while ago, because it looks like our problem is freezer space, not fridge space. She shot down option 4 - she wants a fridge. I still prefer a freezer.

I suggested option 4 to DW a while ago, because it looks like our problem is freezer space, not fridge space. She shot down option 4 - she wants a fridge. I still prefer a freezer.

The beauty of it is that it can be both.... (not simultaneously of course). OK if that won't work, though, there are some refrigerator/freezer combos where the top is refrigerator, bottom is freezer and there is a section in the middle that can be assigned to be refrigerator or freezer. Or you could just get one that is refrigerator on top and freezer on bottom...don't know if they come where the entire bottom can be assigned to refrigerator....maybe.

Found a new fan motor on eBay for $26 ( a lot better than $95 from Whirlpool). Ordered and I'll give this a try.

The beauty of it is that it can be both.... (not simultaneously of course). there are some refrigerator/freezer combos where the top is refrigerator, bottom is freezer

Thats what we have and the wife loves it. Its currently in the garage awaiting the kitchen getting done...

As for being both, I have a chest freezer and use an Inkbird controller to be able to use it refrigerator.

DW wants get a new fridge. I can get a cheap new Maytag at Menards for around $900.

The moment DW says she wants a new one, the decision is made. Happy wife = happy life. You're only asking for trouble doing the repair, even if you are successful and it runs good as new again. Get the new one, let them haul away the old one, any issues down the road, you have cover - wasn't your decision.

Enjoy your new fridge!

Found a new fan motor on eBay for $26 ( a lot better than $95 from Whirlpool). Ordered and I'll give this a try.

Well, I stand by my last post, I hadn't gotten far enough in the thread to get to this one.

We'll see if my clairvoyance is working. At least if you do end out getting a new one, the $26 investment for the satisfaction of getting it working again isn't a big deal, and you could probably put it on Facebook marketplace selling it to someone local for $50 or $100.

Should be able to get the evaporator fan motor for $15 to $20.

Beat me to it. My recommendation was going to be to fix it, but find a better source for the part...

... But you beat me to it, too. Good plan! That 30-year-old fridge is going to outlast anything you buy today. It'll be much more reliable and probably has fewer, and cheaper, parts to replace, when something does fail.

We wouldn't have a DIY forum if everyone answered "get rid of it and buy new!"

I was thinking about trying to rehab the old part that was rusted / corroded. But for $26, I splurged on the new part. I'm mostly doing the repair just to see if this will fix it. And I agree, this fridge fixed will be better than a new one.

Old part:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-07 at 7.46.53 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-07 at 7.46.53 AM.jpg
    705 KB · Views: 6
Part was delivered today. I installed it - seems to be running fine. Fan motor is running very quiet. I may have dodged a new $900 fridge by putting a $26 part in the old one.

I just hope DW doesn't want me to fix the freezer door to latch closed securely. Right now I have it bungeed to stay closed.

My late 1950s era freezer has been in the garage for 20 years. It looks almost new and has had no problems.

I suggest that if your repair goes south you may wish to consider a VERY old replacement.

I don't view myself as it's owner. I'm simply the caretaker for the next generation.

My late 1950s era freezer has been in the garage for 20 years. It looks almost new and has had no problems.

I suggest that if your repair goes south you may wish to consider a VERY old replacement.

I don't view myself as it's owner. I'm simply the caretaker for the next generation.

Except if the refrigerant escapes, new stuff might be unobtanium... :(

Back
Top Bottom