Need help to unlock/reset Thinkpad E570

RetiredAndLovingIt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
California, The State Of Crime And Chaos.
It's a model E570 Thinkpad I3 7th generation. It's set up with admin and user passwords. The owner passed away and they have tried the written down passwords but no luck so far. I have not tried the passwords myself yet but I suspect it might be the NumLock key not turning on when it boots up and we do have a password hint so still working on that. Assuming they can't get in with a password how can we reset it back to original settings so they can at least check to see if it's worth adding an SSD drive. I'm guessing it's about an 8 or 9 year old Windows Lenova laptop and it's not imperative that they recover files from this laptop although it would be nice if they could before we reset it.

If you want the files from it, take out the hard-drive and plug the hard-drive into another computer to read all the files, (internally or externally with an enclosure and USB cord, or externally with just special cords to connect to the hard-drive.)

If it's like this, it's worth about $130
https://www.ebay.com/itm/155368433258

Last edited:
You can boot the laptop with a Windows password recovery software product. Those products detect the Windows installation and allow you to clear or reset the Adminstrator ID.

I have used this one: https://lazesoft.com/forgot-windows-admin-password-recovery-freeware.html

However, there are many other options, free and to buy. Just do a search on "Windows password recovery" to see the options.

The only issue you might run into is if the hard drive was encrypted. Then neither this method nor removing the drive will work. However, given its age that is unlikely.

EDITED TO ADD: You can get more details about that laptop model here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...chType=3&keyWordSearch=E570 Laptop (ThinkPad)

Last edited:
Well I got lucky, I was able to get in with the user password, but not the Admin password. The problem was that the NumLock key did not turn on when the laptop booted up,and it opens to a different image. I have the same intermittent problem with my own PC and the same image. This machine has not been turned on in probably 4 years so I'm currently doing updates and the next timeI rebooted the NumLock key turned on as it should.
CCLeaner program is installed and since this is a Windows 10 machine I'm thinking it's probably not needed?
I don't think this laptop has been used since it was decommissioned from a work laptop to personal use so I'm reluctant to do a factory reset since I don't have the Admin password and there are no old files on it.
I'm thinking if it's not broke, don't fix it but maybe create a restore point once all the updates are finished.
He's only going to use it for surfing the web so I want to keep it simple.
Any advice?

This points up something I have long thought about. There are some files associated with my main PC and drives that I wish to have retained upon my passing. Mostly tax and financial files, photo files, and a few others. Everything else can be wiped. The problem is I don't think my family would understand well enough what would be needed to securely wipe my drives other than the important files I would like for them to keep. That includes the tech-savvy members of my family.

Well I got lucky, I was able to get in with the user password, but not the Admin password. The problem was that the NumLock key did not turn on when the laptop booted up,and it opens to a different image. I have the same intermittent problem with my own PC and the same image. This machine has not been turned on in probably 4 years so I'm currently doing updates and the next timeI rebooted the NumLock key turned on as it should.
CCLeaner program is installed and since this is a Windows 10 machine I'm thinking it's probably not needed?
I don't think this laptop has been used since it was decommissioned from a work laptop to personal use so I'm reluctant to do a factory reset since I don't have the Admin password and there are no old files on it.
I'm thinking if it's not broke, don't fix it but maybe create a restore point once all the updates are finished.
He's only going to use it for surfing the web so I want to keep it simple.
Any advice?

The methods mentioned above to boot with either Linux or a password recovery toll will not affect the current contents of the system, they reset the Administrators password and do not disturb anything else.

This points up something I have long thought about. There are some files associated with my main PC and drives that I wish to have retained upon my passing. Mostly tax and financial files, photo files, and a few others. Everything else can be wiped. The problem is I don't think my family would understand well enough what would be needed to securely wipe my drives other than the important files I would like for them to keep. That includes the tech-savvy members of my family.
Good point. In my instructions to heirs I have included the name and contact info for my long time friend. He is local, trustworthy, and familiar with all tech and security.

Back
Top Bottom