New iPad

I will probably go with a mini. I like that I could find myself waiting for a doctors appt of the like and just pop my book open on my phone where I left off on my iPad. I can't do it with my Nook since almost all of my books are sideloaded library books and won't sync through the Nook app.

Well, my new iPad Pro will no longer charge. It is past the 90 day return policy at Costco where I bought it, so I have an appointment with the Genius Bar. I have been online and tried all the troubleshooting tips. So far, for the money, I cannot recommend the iPad Pro.

I hope that I will return from my genius appointment happy with my iPad. The iPad has been well cared for...never dropped, never splashed, always in a protective case. It should last more than four months.

Well, my new iPad Pro will no longer charge. It is past the 90 day return policy at Costco where I bought it, so I have an appointment with the Genius Bar. I have been online and tried all the troubleshooting tips. So far, for the money, I cannot recommend the iPad Pro.

I hope that I will return from my genius appointment happy with my iPad. The iPad has been well cared for...never dropped, never splashed, always in a protective case. It should last more than four months.
Maybe wait until you know what the problem is? It might be something simple (the charge brick or cable), I hope it goes well for you. I’m on my third iPad (iPad 2, iPad Air, iPad Air 4), DW has had two and they have all been flawless...

Last edited:

how far past? if it's just a few days costco is usually flexible.

The iPad is warrantied for a year. I'm sure you'll be happy with the response you receive from the Genius Bar. Though, it does suck to have to deal with an issue, especially this early on.

I bought my DW one of the first iPad Airs many years ago and it is still going strong. I ended up buying her and iPad Pro to match mine, but the old unit is still serving the grandkids well when they come over.

Yes definitely I would try Costco if only just past. Also try someone else's charger as per Midpack. We have had good luck with them too.

I contacted Costco first. I bought the iPad in October so it is more than a few days past 90, but still new enough that I shouldn’t be having problems.

Sorry if I’m asking basics here but have you tried an alternate charging brick and cable?
+1 Just this morning my iPad wouldn't charge, so I changed the charging wire out with another one I had kicking around the house. And bingo! That fixed the problem. Maybe that could be it.

+1 Just this morning my iPad wouldn't charge, so I changed the charging wire out with another one I had kicking around the house. And bingo! That fixed the problem. Maybe that could be it.

Must be "bad iPad cord" season. Had exactly the same thing happen with DW's iPad today.

Must be "bad iPad cord" season. Had exactly the same thing happen with DW's iPad today.
Were they Apple cords or aftermarket? Just curious.

New IPAD

One of the things I tried before contacting Costco and Apple was a different charger. Now the only other usb c charger I had was for my Samsung phone. Works fine with the phone but did nothing for the iPad.

If a software update is needed...even if it was available, I don’t have enough “juice” in my iPad to run it. [emoji3]

One of the things I tried before contacting Costco and Apple was a different charger. Now the only other usb c charger I had was for my Samsung phone. Works fine with the phone but did nothing for the iPad.

If a software update is needed...even if it was available, I don’t have enough “juice” in my iPad to run it. [emoji3]

You probably don’t want to tell the folks at Apple that you plugged a usb C into your iPad.

You probably don’t want to tell the folks at Apple that you plugged a usb C into your iPad.
Why? That’s what the newest iPad models are now, both ends of the cable are USB-C.

And the iPhone 12’s cables have USB-C on the brick end and Lightning on the phone end too.

Last edited:
Why? That’s what the newest iPad models are now, both ends of the cable are USB-C.

And the iPhone 12’s cables have USB-C on the brick end and Lightning on the phone end too.

Sorry, didn’t know that. All of our Apple products are the lightning chargers.

Good on Apple for moving away from having special chargers.

Are you able to do simple tax returns using Turbotax or something similar on an iPad. My desktop was too old to use for taxes last year, so I used our Mac Pro laptop, but I am afraid that it will be too old this year. My DH has an iPad that is less than 2 years old.

I really like using a desktop, but I keep wondering if I should just go with an iPad myself. Somehow, in my brain, it just doesn't seem as secure as a desktop, but I am probably wrong about this. I do have a mini iPad, but I don't use it for any banking or investments. I normally only use my computer for taxes, investments, emails and surfing the web and blogs. Has anyone gone from using a desktop to using only an iPad? Is it as safe? Did you have difficulty in getting used to using the iPad, instead of the desktop? I like typing on a keyboard.

Are you able to do simple tax returns using Turbotax or something similar on an iPad. My desktop was too old to use for taxes last year, so I used our Mac Pro laptop, but I am afraid that it will be too old this year. My DH has an iPad that is less than 2 years old.

I really like using a desktop, but I keep wondering if I should just go with an iPad myself. Somehow, in my brain, it just doesn't seem as secure as a desktop, but I am probably wrong about this. I do have a mini iPad, but I don't use it for any banking or investments. I normally only use my computer for taxes, investments, emails and surfing the web and blogs. Has anyone gone from using a desktop to using only an iPad? Is it as safe? Did you have difficulty in getting used to using the iPad, instead of the desktop? I like typing on a keyboard.
Might be a good separate thread?

It probably still power your iPad when you plugged in (just no charging).

Okay, question for the folks with tech knowledge. Apple said the issue was the charging cord. If so, then why didn’t the other usb c cord that I tried work? It was the original charger that came with my Samsung phone. I didn’t ask Apple that because I didn’t want to risk voiding my warranty.

I really like an iPad, but Apple customer service could be better. Since it was the charging cord, they will replace the cord. However, they didn’t have a replacement cord in stock. I could buy a cord. In other words, they wouldn’t replace the defective cord with what they had in stock. They would order a replacement cord and I could come back and pick it up. I explained that I am trying to limit my outings during Covid. Still no change. I had them order me a replacement cord. I asked if they could ship it to me. No, I have to come back and bring the defective cord which I had with me right then. I ended up buying a new cord. I also ordered a replacement cord. I figure if it quits working once, it will quit working again so best to have a spare.

Really, this is poor customer service for a premium priced product.

From what I've seen with various of my relatives, cords get worn out a lot. They kink and bend and since they have metal wires inside they really do go bad easily.

Having plenty of cords around is a good thing. Same with charging bricks - though with an iPad make sure the brick puts out enough power to actually charge an iPad, they need a lot more than a phone for example.

Back
Top Bottom