New iPhones/Apple Watch?

Which online place, Gazelle?

I went with the Apple Buy Back program. When I placed the order for the new watch they offered me a trade in of $225 (series 3 cellular). Initially they were going to send me a box to ship the watch back, but when I got to the store they quoted me the same $225 if I just hand the watch over to them, so it worked out quite well.

I checked the other buyback companies and none were offering $225. I think the highest was Maxback, which offered me around $200, so the Apple buy back turned out to be both the most convenient and highest paying option.

I love the new watch too! The larger screen is great, especially with the new watch faces specially designed for the Series 4.

DH and I received our XS Max watches on Friday. We both like them. I particularly enjoy web surfing in horizontal orientation. I bought the Max for the larger screen real estate and I think I will be pleased with it.

My Apple Watch was supposed to be delivered between 10/12 and 10/19 but it will be here this Monday. I am actually more excited about it than the phone because I haven't had the Apple Watch before. I have been in the Fitbit ecosystem for over 5 years so switching to something else is a little worrisome, but the research I've read is promising.

I love my Apple 2 watch, but until it dies, I see no need to upgrade to the 3 or 4.

I have Series 2...my own impression is that its a nice convenience but not terribly useful. I like that alerts/texts go to the watch as I can more politely keep an eye on the action during meetings.

I also use it as the most expensive alarm clock in history, and I don't get too much use out of the fitness features.

I find many of the iwatch apps to be borderline unusable however as it takes so long to sync/retrieve data from the phone that I can more easily just pull out the phone and do whatever I'm trying to do.

The Uber iWatch app is a great example. Its only of those things I desperately want to work well but at the moment seems like negative value added.

If the Series 4 delivers a major leap in app-level utility, I may get pulled over but likely not.

Ordered a new iPhone XS for DW to replace her 6. She uses it constantly as a camera, and the camera improvements make it worthwhile for her.

Apple originally promised delivery by October 6, then changed it to Sep 27, and today they changed it to Sep 24 (tomorrow!). I've read that the XS Max is the more popular version, so I guess they have more of the regular size phone available than expected.

I'm going to be comparing the iphone XR (preorder Oct 19) to the Pixel 3 XL (announce Oct 9) in the next few weeks. Will buy one of those I think.

I think Apple will do very well this year. When the UPS guy delivered DW's new iPhone XS, I chatted with him for a bit. His comment was "These new iPhones are killing us. I've delivered at least 30 of them just this morning."

I think Apple will do very well this year. When the UPS guy delivered DW's new iPhone XS, I chatted with him for a bit. His comment was "These new iPhones are killing us. I've delivered at least 30 of them just this morning."

Wow!

I’m tempted to get the iPhone XR in order to save close to $300 vs. the XS (plus I like the variety of colours). However, the cheap side of me says I don’t need a new phone since my iPhone 6 still works perfectly fine.

You should see better camera, bigger screen, faster, more responsive device from your 6.

That's what, 4 years old?

You should see better camera, bigger screen, faster, more responsive device from your 6.

That's what, 4 years old?

Yup, 4 years old and still looks brand new. I got a new battery 6 months ago and updated it to OS12 which made it faster. I might keep it until Apple no longer supports the 6 with updated software. The new XR sure looks pretty though!

I find many of the iwatch apps to be borderline unusable however as it takes so long to sync/retrieve data from the phone that I can more easily just pull out the phone and do whatever I'm trying to do.

In the few days I've had mine, I have enjoyed it particularly when I don't have my phone with me like at the gym. I did get the one with cellular capability and added it to our plan. So today I was at the gym and used a chest heart rate monitor which interfaced directly with the Watch. I also listened to a Podcast while I was exercising which was nice and I could read my texts (I guess I could have responded but didn't need to). I enjoying the sleep tracking (I do wear at night). I also like being able to use the Watch as a flashlight. I do track activity and workouts on it and rarely have to go to the phone for that. I find it pretty fast on syncing with the phone which I think is because the Series 4 is much faster.

I’m tempted to get the iPhone XR in order to save close to $300 vs. the XS (plus I like the variety of colours). However, the cheap side of me says I don’t need a new phone since my iPhone 6 still works perfectly fine.

Boy I wish I could bottle that and give some to my DW and DD... both want a new Iphone as their 6 and 6+ are 'old'.... however, they still work fine and the new ones do not seem to be that much different than the old..

I suggested to go to the 7 but am told I do not know anything :facepalm:... but I do know they are brain washed and there is little I can do about it...

BTW, I have a sister who still has the 4... yes, the 4... she says some people mention to her that they would like a baby Iphone :LOL:

Boy I wish I could bottle that and give some to my DW and DD... both want a new Iphone as their 6 and 6+ are 'old'.... however, they still work fine and the new ones do not seem to be that much different than the old..

I suggested to go to the 7 but am told I do not know anything :facepalm:... but I do know they are brain washed and there is little I can do about it...

BTW, I have a sister who still has the 4... yes, the 4... she says some people mention to her that they would like a baby Iphone :LOL:

They came out with the iPhone SE which had a 4-inch screen -- iPhone 4 had a 3.5-inch screen -- but had the chips which were available at the time.

Lot of people want smaller phones but the market apparently isn't big enough because Apple discontinued the SE -- they may try to sell it in India since it's lower cost and that market is price-sensitive.

I was really surprised at how much I liked my Apple watch. I forget I am wearing it because it is light and comfortable. I love the fitness tracker and also the timer. I also have the SE phone and really enjoy the small size.

both want a new Iphone as their 6 and 6+ are 'old'.... however, they still work fine and the new ones do not seem to be that much different than the old.

Mostly not that different, but the improvement in the camera is awesome. Just got DW a new XS to replace her 6, and it's amazing how good the new camera is. She takes a LOT of photos, and said her point and shoot camera is now history.

Mostly not that different, but the improvement in the camera is awesome. Just got DW a new XS to replace her 6, and it's amazing how good the new camera is. She takes a LOT of photos, and said her point and shoot camera is now history.

Heck, the point and shoot went with the 6... but she still uses the Nikon with the various zoom lenses....

I had an IPHONE 6S Plus with my employer but as I quit the job last week I had to turn it in. Because I will be at home most of the time for now, and using my laptop- and have a landline phone, I really only needed a cell phone for my car for emergencies, but yet I didn't want to do without a smart phone in this day and age, especially for when we go on vacation or to text our son, and some others who prefer this mode of communication. Hubby has a cheap flip phone through Pure Talk that costs $10 per month- again for emergencies in his car.

Because I did not want to spend a lot of money, I did some research and ended up going to Walmart and bought the IPHONE SE for $139.00 and the Straight Talk Unlimited everything plan for $44 + tax per month.

At first I was apprehensive about the small size (it is the size of a 5S), but quickly got used to it and actually like how light it is and how it fits so nicely in my bag or pocket and the palm of my hand. It does everything my 6S Plus did, with the speed of a 7.

It's a little tricky typing on the small keyboard, but I have gotten used to it.

I got a nice wallet case in Amazon for $7 and I am very happy! Good things come in small packages!

PS I take a lot of pictures and have had no problems with it.

Last edited:
That's a very good price for the SE.

I love my SE. But it something happens to it I can't order it from Apple anymore?

It looks like they're not planning on selling it in the US any more.

They might sell it in a place like India, where there probably isn't a big enough market for more expensive phones.

Instead what they do is lower the prices on older models. For instance, iPhone 7 is now the lowest priced model you can buy from apple.com at $449.

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus from last year are now $599 and $699, so a price cut of $100.

We have the same problem we had with the Series 3 watch...I am unable to make or receive calls when the phone is off. We got a GPS only Series 4 for DH as he never once used the cell capability on his watch. He can't receive texts at all. After 1+ hours on the phone with AT&t and a good .5 hour with Apple, we are headed to the Genius Bar later this afternoon. I'll be really pi$$ed if the Genius again tells us that the phone has to be ON to make/receive calls. :mad::mad::mad:

It looks like they're not planning on selling it in the US any more.

They might sell it in a place like India, where there probably isn't a big enough market for more expensive phones.

Instead what they do is lower the prices on older models. For instance, iPhone 7 is now the lowest priced model you can buy from apple.com at $449.

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus from last year are now $599 and $699, so a price cut of $100.

You wait long enough, you get a good deal. If you want an SE- hurry over to Walmart while they still have them!

Back
Top Bottom