New Laptop Recommendation

kannon

Recycles dryer sheets
Running an i5 lenovo, SSD, 4 GB. Overall pleased but for the third time I am losing a laptop cause of display hinge and case fracturing. I lost two HPs same way and swore no more HPs. An older Lenovo worked well and is still working (about 8 yrs old) but my everyday Lenovo about 3 yrs old just cracked.

Any recommendations? Tired of case crackings!!

I have never had a hinge or case crack when using mostly Dell laptops.

What are you doing that is causing this to happen?

I don't have any specific recommendations other than to go with at least 8 GB RAM, but I think you need to consider how you are handling your laptops. This seems like an unusual amount of hinge and case problems. Lenovo has a good rep for making sturdy laptops, so I'm guessing the problem is with the buyer, not the manufacturer.

Would need more info on how you use them. Are you transporting them? Or do they just sit on a desk? Are there multiple users? Kids?

Would you consider a tablet with separate keyboard for typing? (No hinge!)

Morning

Not abusing the laptop - haha. Just normal opening and closing.

Used mostly around the house, volunteer activity. One user. Weight not a big issue. Like the SSD I installed for speed. Agree with 8 GB be good minimum.

Not abusing the laptop - haha. Just normal opening and closing.
Either you have the worst luck of anyone I know, or you are rough on your laptop, whether you think so or not. If you're as tired of case crackings as you say you are, you shouldn't be dismissive of that possibility.

Maybe you're yanking the display open harder than you realize. I try to treat mine laptop like a piece of glass. Not saying I always do but I do consider it fragile.

I was talking to one of our techs at my old megacorp once, and he talked of all the ways people were hard on their laptops. Carrying with one hand--notice how the case can bend. Carrying with the lid open puts your laptop at risk if you drop it or set it down heavy, and if you put one hand on the display part you are likely doing some pulling on the hinges without realizing it. I forget some of the other things but that gives you an idea.

It's a good thing you have an SSD or you'd probably be replacing your hard drive often.

Maybe I'm wrong and you just have bad luck, but it's worth your while to take a closer look at what you're doing.

I've never had a case of bad hinges on a laptop. I own a used Lenovo Thinkpad (must admit, I do not use frequently) and the laptop actually has a strong, reinforced metal hinge.

Picked up a slim/lightweight Asus 15.6" laptop last year for about $500 and pleased so far. Came with a 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD, only came with 8GB RAM so added another 8GB.

I've had a hinge issue on a previous laptop. Some laptops have two small hinges on the sides, while others have one long hinge that runs most of the width of the machine. Perhaps consider the style with one long hinge instead of two small hinges.

I've got an HP that cracked at the right hinge a couple months ago -- thoroughly annoying.

I also have an Asus laptop that is remarkably rugged. It's about 12 years old, and it will not die. My next laptop will be another Asus.

Either you have the worst luck of anyone I know, or you are rough on your laptop, whether you think so or not. If you're as tired of case crackings as you say you are, you shouldn't be dismissive of that possibility.

Maybe you're yanking the display open harder than you realize. I try to treat mine laptop like a piece of glass. Not saying I always do but I do consider it fragile.

I was talking to one of our techs at my old megacorp once, and he talked of all the ways people were hard on their laptops. Carrying with one hand--notice how the case can bend. Carrying with the lid open puts your laptop at risk if you drop it or set it down heavy, and if you put one hand on the display part you are likely doing some pulling on the hinges without realizing it. I forget some of the other things but that gives you an idea.

+1

Never had a Lenovo laptop. But I have had numerous Dell, Toshiba, Acer, and other brands of laptop. I never had, nor heard of, a laptop hinge breaking before from any brand of laptop.

If you really aren't treating it roughly, then just buy another because it won't happen again. This just isn't a common issue with laptops unless they are owned by kids, AFAIK.

Running an i5 lenovo, SSD, 4 GB. Overall pleased but for the third time I am losing a laptop cause of display hinge and case fracturing. I lost two HPs same way and swore no more HPs. An older Lenovo worked well and is still working (about 8 yrs old) but my everyday Lenovo about 3 yrs old just cracked.

I bought a Lenovo IdeaPad Mixx 700 a year and a half ago (m5 processor, 8GB SDRAM, 256 SSD, Win 10) and it has been the best laptop that I've ever had. Not a problem.

I really like that there is no fan. The Mixx is Lenovo's answer to the MS Surface. Detachable keyboard and stylus included.

71aQsGt3z7L._SL1500_.jpg

I love my MacBook Air and I will replace it with the same thing. Easiest computer I have ever used.

Based on another laptop thread a couple of months ago, I ended up buying an LG Gram 17" at Costco. It was $250 off at the time. It is soooo light, which I love since my old 17" weighed like 10 lbs. I couldn't be happier with it.

I've had numerous HP laptops over the years (worked for HP before retirement) and have never heard of this problem with hinges. I have three old ones that still work but the they are so old the technology is obsolete. My current 8570p is about 5 years old and still going strong.

Sorry you've had this problem.

I LOVE my surface. I have the keyboard and a USB mouse attached so it works like a laptop and has touch screen to use like a tablet. Of course I rather easy so take it FWIW.

I would get either the MacBook Air or the ASUS ZenBook. I haven’t looked at every machine out there, but the ZenBook is the closest thing in a Windows machine, IMHO, to the MacBook Air. I have the Apple and DW has the ASUS. Both are very light, fast and strong (aluminum cases).

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-Zenbook-15-UX533FD/

You might consider replacing it with another lenovo but a more robust model. Case builds are radically different on various lenovo lines. I have had a couple of Lenovo Carbons that have been bullet proof and am a fan.

I'm using a MacBook Air (my first) and love it.
When needed will replace it with the same thing.

I use it daily but transport it to teaching/clinical sites in bubble wrap.

I've had a couple of Lenovo Ideapads. They are the entry level, consumer line. That being said, I never had a problem with hinges. Keyboards? Yes. Hinges, no. The Lenovo ThinkPads are their business models and are more sturdily built. They are also more easily repaired. My last 2 purchases were off-lease HP Folio's. Not the latest in gizmos. Sturdy as the day is long. IMO, they can't be beat All for less than $200. Yeah, they have real hard drives. That too can be upgraded for total cost of less than a new cheap laptop.

When I was working we used the Dell Latitude laptops that are business oriented and we lugged them all over the globe travelling and the IT guys said they were rock solid. We would get new ones every 2-3 years and my IT buddy said the company would wholesale sell them to refurbishers who then scrubbed them and resold them. So when I retired in 2015 I found a Dell Latitude 5600 from Staples with 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD for $250 bucks with a 90-day warranty. Well that was 4+ years ago and I'm typing this reply on the same device, which travels back and forth to our second home in Maine a couple of times every month.

Two pages and no one has asked the deep question...
Do you have a cat?

That happened to an HP that we had years ago. We are now on year 8 of a Toshiba. However, anecdotes ≠ data.

Back
Top Bottom